Chef or Sommelier?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as for your current job if they dont understand then well theres 200000000 jobs out there in the hospitality industry

I say go to one of the locations..

get a parttime job either with TK restaurants or im sure you can find something anything in the town you will be in PLUS approach your bank!

Wow! Jealous!

If it includes room/board I would be out there in an instant.

I guess you probably wouldn't be eating off the menu everyday, but staff meal would still be good! Heck, I'd probably be caught in the dumpster out back stuffing my face with all the "leftovers"... :LOL:

I'd pick The French Laundry, as thats where TK is based right? Perhaps you would get to brush shoulders often, and it might even be a foot in the kitchen door! :cool:

I still have to send a resume and apply. Not sure how many people received a letter and how I received one. I know I did well on the exam so maybe that had something to do with it. The externships would be for 2007 and I "think" you can request which months you'd like to work in. If I request for September-November the hotels are usually slow by then and I'll also be able to save up both vacation hours and money. We'll see. The main thing holding me back is the financial issue. I can talk to my folks and see if they'd be willing to help me out as well. Better that than getting a loan or racking up a credit card bill because I know that wherever I go, I'll also be eating out at the area restaurants as well. Las Vegas is out of the question because I'll go crazy playing poker. NYC sounds like the most exciting but would also be the most expensive I think because since I've never been there, I would have to try all of the restaurants I've read about like Restaurant Daniel, Aureole, Le Bernardin, Aquavit, etc. I would also want to catch at least one or two Yankee-Red Sox games. Ah, we'll see. Still have plenty of time to decide.

ironchef said:
Las Vegas is out of the question because I'll go crazy playing poker.......

but then again, you could play Phil Helmuth for his chips & not have to worry about financing the next 3 months............:LOL:

if you make it to nyc, ic, yanks/sox tickets are on me. i may have to lend you a suit of armor if you wear anything with a sox logo on it tho...

I say do it. If I were offered the opertunity and didn't, I'ld be kicking my self in the butt for the rest of my life.

French Laundry=one of THE most memorable dining experiences I have ever had.

Yankee-Red Sox games
...always better from Fenway... :LOL:

Still, getting tickets is next to impossible at Fenway for Evil Empire games.

New York is definetly expensive to live in! Incredible little town though! :)

Hope it works out for you!

Let me just say this IC,
I look forward to your recipes.pictures and enjoy each and everyone. Since I'm old enough to be your mother:LOL: If you were my son, I'd chase you for miles if you didn't ask me for help and didn't look into this offer and see what can be worked out. You have what it takes, use it,enjoy it..May you have the chance to have your dreams come true.
kadesma

buckytom said:
if you make it to nyc, ic, yanks/sox tickets are on me. i may have to lend you a suit of armor if you wear anything with a sox logo on it tho...

What about when I start jumping up and down and talk trash to the people around me when Big Papi goes deep?

If the tickets are on you, then dinner is on me. I'll make you a degustation dinner at wherever I'm staying at.

IC, You can't not do it! TK has 2 restaurants in the top 5 restaurants in the WORLD. How many people can say that? Experience doesn't get any better than that. In my oppinion, he is the best chef in america at this time. (I'm also am stickler for French cuisine) I would do it in a second. I would give you mad props man, that is something you can always say.....I worked at the French Laundry,(or Per Se) Thats an awesome experience no matter if you are cooking, serving wine or even washing dishes. Not many people have the opportunity to work in a top 5 in the world restaurant.

IC, I say take the risk! Not matter what, you will always be an accomplished chef. Go for this new experience, your young, and from all that I've read from you, you really have a passion for wines and learning as much as you can about them. I think this is what you want.

Hey IronChef,

At least put in your application for the position. You may or may not get it--looks like the winner's circle will be pretty small. But if you don't even try, it will always be one of those "coulda been" things in your life. When you get twenty years down the road, you don't want to say to yourself, "if only...."

Good luck!

Better to say yes than no. If you really get cold feet or can't raise the cash, then you can always say no later on. Say yes now and keep your options open.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom