chef's salaries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
i was wondering what the average was for a chef's salary based on experience like

1-5 years

5-10
10-15 ranges

If you get lucky you can make millions like Mario Batali or Emeril Lagasse.

kleenex said:
If you get lucky you can make millions like Mario Batali or Emeril Lagasse.
:glare: Lucky sons of a.....hmmmmmm, la-la-la :ROFLMAO: A pretty face seems to have helped many a chef make it famous too - from Jaime Oliver to Giada De Laurentiis, David Rocco to Nigella Lawson. Not to say they don't have talent out the ying-yang, but I'm sure great looking mugs haven't done them any harm either :mrgreen:

i was wondering what the average was for a chef's salary based on experience like

1-5 years

5-10
10-15 ranges

It depends on the size of the operation, revenue generated by the operation, what part of the country you're planning or working in, experience, etc. I may make more than a chef who has been working at the same job for 20 years, simply because the place where he works at is not a large, revenue grossing operation.

As a general rule, if you work for a hotel, you'll make more than working for a free-standing restaurant both as a salaried and hourly paid employee. Even well known free-standing restaurants (like say, Blue Ginger) can't come close to matching what a chef may make at say, a Hilton or Marriot fine dining restaurant but it's a trade off. Do you want more money, better benefits and perks, or would you rather work for a more well-known and famous restaurant?

Back
Top Bottom