"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
amber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Maine
Posts: 4,099
Not sure what your point was GB for bringing this thread back up, but I did see it over this past weekend. Whether people smoke cigarettes or not, I dont think that has anything to do with cooking per se. Sure some may take smoke breaks, and granted may smell of cigarettes, but that doesnt mean they dont cook great meals right?
__________________

__________________
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #22
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Maryland
Posts: 1,189
Quite an interesting topic,
I didn't smoke very long, approx 8 years (I quit @ 21 while tending bar), but I noticed lots of difference in the taste of foods and seasonings. Possibly because I didn't smoke for many years? Or, maybe because I stopped at and early age? I guess many things determine our overall taste sensitivity.
__________________

__________________
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #23
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Not sure what your point was GB for bringing this thread back up, but I did see it over this past weekend.
I split this off from another thread where it was off topic. There was a conversation going on about this so it was only fair to turn it into it's own thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Sure some may take smoke breaks, and granted may smell of cigarettes, but that doesnt mean they dont cook great meals right?
This is exactly the point of this thread. Some people agree with you Amber, and others think the opposite. This thread is a discussion of those two sides.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
amber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Maine
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I split this off from another thread where it was off topic. There was a conversation going on about this so it was only fair to turn it into it's own thread. This is exactly the point of this thread. Some people agree with you Amber, and others think the opposite. This thread is a discussion of those two sides.
Ok, fair enough. I can see both sides of this issue actually.
__________________
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #25
Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 72
I think that it was absolutely right to split this thread from the original. It took on its own life and merited the split. The thread now has two distinct points. First, does smoking impair taste perception? Second, do smokers (however skilled) (in a business rife with excess) present an overall liability in the kitchen? For me - maybe to the first, and yes to the second.
__________________
D_Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #26
Sous Chef
 
BlueCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA, Illinois
Posts: 551
Thank heaven I don't work in a field where people's narrow opinions and generalizations could have had an effect on my livelihood. Mind you, I don't regret for a minute my decision to stop smoking, but smoking never changed my ability to taste food. Smoking also never interfered with my putting in a very decent day's work. It also didn't make me lazy or impair my judgment. My sinuses are not one molecule better than they were before, and I never caught more than a sniffle as a smoker. I got double pneumonia and very nearly died several years after quitting. I will admit, I'm glad I didn't smoke when I was coming back from that one. I just can't stand holier than thou judgments about a group of people like this.

Honestly, sometimes I think that crackheads get a fairer shake in life than someone who smokes a cigarette. There are plenty of distasteful habits in the world, but who gets it thrown in their faces like a smoker does? It's as though people feel that a smoker has no feelings whatsoever. Maybe they should just make cigarettes illegal, since smokers are such a liability anyway, and try to find some other whipping boy to levy those same horrific taxes on like maybe fat people, or carnivores, or single people, or maybe they should just hit the drinkers harder - they already tax them pretty hard - but they're running out of sins to tax.

BC
__________________
BlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #27
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 605
I'll trust what some of you have said about a smoker's lessened ability to season properly. But other than that, the liabilities that a chef who smokes bring to the job are no more nor less than a smoker brings to any job. While some may be stellar employees, smokers do tend to have more health issues, which can't help but affect their job performance at some point.
__________________
suzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #28
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
Thank heaven I don't work in a field where people's narrow opinions and generalizations could have had an effect on my livelihood. Mind you, I don't regret for a minute my decision to stop smoking, but smoking never changed my ability to taste food. Smoking also never interfered with my putting in a very decent day's work. It also didn't make me lazy or impair my judgment. My sinuses are not one molecule better than they were before, and I never caught more than a sniffle as a smoker. I got double pneumonia and very nearly died several years after quitting. I will admit, I'm glad I didn't smoke when I was coming back from that one. I just can't stand holier than thou judgments about a group of people like this.

Honestly, sometimes I think that crackheads get a fairer shake in life than someone who smokes a cigarette. There are plenty of distasteful habits in the world, but who gets it thrown in their faces like a smoker does? It's as though people feel that a smoker has no feelings whatsoever. Maybe they should just make cigarettes illegal, since smokers are such a liability anyway, and try to find some other whipping boy to levy those same horrific taxes on like maybe fat people, or carnivores, or single people, or maybe they should just hit the drinkers harder - they already tax them pretty hard - but they're running out of sins to tax.

BC
I wish I could give you all my karma points, Blue Cat.
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #29
Executive Chef
 
amber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Maine
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
Thank heaven I don't work in a field where people's narrow opinions and generalizations could have had an effect on my livelihood. Mind you, I don't regret for a minute my decision to stop smoking, but smoking never changed my ability to taste food. Smoking also never interfered with my putting in a very decent day's work. It also didn't make me lazy or impair my judgment. My sinuses are not one molecule better than they were before, and I never caught more than a sniffle as a smoker. I got double pneumonia and very nearly died several years after quitting. I will admit, I'm glad I didn't smoke when I was coming back from that one. I just can't stand holier than thou judgments about a group of people like this.

Honestly, sometimes I think that crackheads get a fairer shake in life than someone who smokes a cigarette. There are plenty of distasteful habits in the world, but who gets it thrown in their faces like a smoker does? It's as though people feel that a smoker has no feelings whatsoever. Maybe they should just make cigarettes illegal, since smokers are such a liability anyway, and try to find some other whipping boy to levy those same horrific taxes on like maybe fat people, or carnivores, or single people, or maybe they should just hit the drinkers harder - they already tax them pretty hard - but they're running out of sins to tax.

BC
Agreed You've summed up my thoughts so I cannot add more, except to say that if one wants to smoke now a days, you have to go outside, and even "air" space is fair game to some. I've been both a smoker and a non smoker. Enclosed spaces ok no smoking, but outdoors?
__________________
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #30
Sous Chef
 
Lynan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 501
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Hear hear Bluecat!

I am totally amazed that some people would prefer food prepared by a non smoker because his ' bad habit' could affect said food. (I'm assuming the chef is NOT smoking in kitchen! ) I would be a darned sight more concerned over the kitchen worker who doesnt bother washing hands after a bathroom break/nose blowing actually. There are 1000's of documented cases where people have become very ill after these occurences ( Hepatitis, food poisoning etc) but I am yet to read/hear of one concerning a smoker.
__________________

__________________
In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.