Chefs who smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know why we are discussing health here anyway. The original post was questioning the ability of a chef to taste food better if he/she smokes or not. So lets forget all the non-smoking propaganda.

CharlieD said:
I don't know why we are discussing health here anyway. The original post was questioning the ability of a chef to taste food better if he/she smokes or not. So lets forget all the non-smoking propaganda.
The topic was bound to include a variety of views and opinions. It's impossible to discuss anything remotely related to smoking that wouldn't include people's very different points of view, and some of those views will involve health factors.

I respectfully suggest that you just ignore the posts that bother you rather than trying to enforce a particular direction in which you think the thread should go.

I was not trying to enforce anything, merely a sugestion so people would move away from closin in on an argument. Smoking is a very hot subject, no pan intended, and could cause a lot of trouble, so far, thank G-d everything was nearly polite.

As far a "variety of opnion" goes, "I don't believe that a chain smoker is qualified to judge flavors or quality of foods" - where in the above statement do you see the need of the opinion on work atitude?

Last edited:
CharlieD said:
I was not trying to enforce anything, merely a sugestion so people would move away from closin in on an argument. Smoking is a very hot subject, no pan intended, and could cause a lot of trouble, so far, thank G-d everything was nearly polite.

As far a "variety of opnion" goes, "I don't believe that a chain smoker is qualified to judge flavors or quality of foods" - where in the above statement do you see the need of the opinion on work atitude?
Yes, always a good idea to try to keep it as polite as possible but to still allow for differences of opinion.

So to address your second paragraph, I'm not sure I totally get your drift. Are you saying that aurora does not have the right to her opinion that a smoker's ability to taste and therefore to season may be compromised? Maybe she's right; maybe she's wrong. Maybe it depends on the individual smoker. But others have voiced similar thoughts.

I think what Charlie is saying (and Charlie please correct me if I am wrong) is that he agrees that a difference of opinion of smokers ability to taste and season correctly is perfectly appropriate in this thread as that is exactly what the thread is about. This thread was not about opinions on work attitude though so that really has no place in this conversation.

GB said:
I think what Charlie is saying (and Charlie please correct me if I am wrong) is that he agrees that a difference of opinion of smokers ability to taste and season correctly is perfectly appropriate in this thread as that is exactly what the thread is about. This thread was not about opinions on work attitude though so that really has no place in this conversation.
I reread the thread and found only one that directly attacked smokers' work habits, and you addressed that post quite well. Ironically, that one post was a response to Charlie's "What in the world does smoking have to do with food." (Post #2) Everybody else seems to be very on-topic about whether smoking affects a chef's ability in the kitchen.

This thread was split off from another where both things were being discussed. I am only guessing that that is what Charlie was talking about. It is easy to get all of these threads confused when you have participated in them.

;) Thank you GB. As always, your help appreciated and timely.

And again, to SuzyQ3, if you read the very first post, the one I quoted 3 posts above, you'll see that the original question was about the ability of a smoker to "taste" the food. Not his/her work attitude and/or smoking in general. If you'll read the whole thread, you'll see that there is more than one post about that. Now, having said that, I’m not concern if people talk about the subject of smoking and work attitude, but let's just separate it from tasting. I'm sure, I have also posted something off subject in the past, but it is nice to stay on subject, that's all, no hidden agenda.;)

Back
Top Bottom