Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie--free-range eggs have less cholesterol than battery-farm eggs. I want to say 1/3 less...and it is dietary cholesterol in eggs, not serum (blood) cholesterol. And they are sooooo good! Of course, I have very happy chickens, and that might contribute to the quality of the eggs...oh, I could market them as "happy chicken eggs!"

BTW, Miss Broodie is on mat. leave, so she is exempt from the egg production line. No stew pot threats for Miss Broodie.

I do remember them from my childhood. Beautiful almost orange yolks, nice and high, with whites that formed as soon as they hit the pan. I also remember being told to go out to the hen house and bring in some eggs as they were needed for baking. And sometimes at dusk, so we could have enough for breakfast. When Son #3 goes to Vermont to work, he will often times pick me up a dozen of fresh farm free ranging eggs. I just want to cook them all together and pig out. But I control myself.

My dream retirement would have been to live my last years on a farm. I miss feeding the animals. When we lived in Texas, I loved getting up before the birds and going out and feeding the piglet and heifer we had. The ducks would follow me around until I fed them also. That was my quiet time with Mother Nature and God.

I do remember them from my childhood. Beautiful almost orange yolks, nice and high, with whites that formed as soon as they hit the pan. I also remember being told to go out to the hen house and bring in some eggs as they were needed for baking. And sometimes at dusk, so we could have enough for breakfast. When Son #3 goes to Vermont to work, he will often times pick me up a dozen of fresh farm free ranging eggs. I just want to cook them all together and pig out. But I control myself.

My dream retirement would have been to live my last years on a farm. I miss feeding the animals. When we lived in Texas, I loved getting up before the birds and going out and feeding the piglet and heifer we had. The ducks would follow me around until I fed them also. That was my quiet time with Mother Nature and God.
The thing that blew me away was the first time I made egg salad sandwiches with free-range eggs and homemade mayo....it was ORANGE, not that pale yellow...the DH ordered eggs the first morning he was in TX, and then opted not to order eggs--store-bought eggs just don't cut it when you're used to eating free-range eggs. A friend who raises hens and has free-range eggs ordered eggs at Mayo Clinic. When she got them, her response was something like "I wanted real eggs, not egg-substitute." The eggs were "real" eggs. Oops!

They are so cute. I got puppy loved today for a bit, so am feeling better about not seeing the chicks...

I was pregnant with Son #3. I had a bright yellow maternity top. As I walked down to the mailbox each day the baby ducklings would follow me in a line. My husband said he couldn't tell the difference between me and the ducklings. We all waddled. :LOL:

I saw a documentary where a hen raised a brood of ducklings. They followed her around. She was so upset when she walked past the pond and all the ducklings went in for a swim. I was really funny to see. She was walking on a branch, into the water and didn't like getting her feet wet, but her babies were in the water!

It has been a stressful 24-hours for the chicken mid-wife. The little buff has a splayed leg--my attempts to create a brace were not successful. Back to the Internet..."best done with two people..." No sh*t. Trying to hold a squiggly little chick on my lap (on its back) and loop yarn around one foot, strand to the other (which is kicking wildly in the air) and loop it is for someone with more dexterity than I have. The little one that hatched yesterday is with Momma. I switched the nest box for a Vari200--closer to the floor and all of them can hop in and out. But, when I went out to bring the little black one (known as #8) to his (well, if what I read about sexing barred Plymouth Rocks is true--he's got a white spot on the top of his head, so most likely male) momma, the other little black one (probably also a male) was lieing on the floor, eyes closed, not responsive. Not again, I did this yesterday! I brought him in (he did peep as I carried him in), reheated the towel in the microwave, packed it inside of two ziplock bags, popped it into the towel holder (previously known as the icepack holder for dogs that had had surgery), put that in the box with Buffie (a/k/a #7) and plopped him on top of that. He's on his feet, but he and the Buff are going to the airport with me. I need help getting the buff's leg braced. Which reminds me, I have to pack wooden matchsticks, straws, surgical tape, vet wrap, yarn, and ouble-sided tape. Not sure which method we will use...but best to have all the supplies needed on hand. If I can get them all to survive until they feather out, I'll be very happy. Who knew having chicklets could be so much fun! (I knew there was a reason I bought ready-to lay chicks last year--I didn't want to "kill" any day olds because of my inexperience as a chicken keeper...). All in a day of chicken keeping...

Just a suggestion. Not being able to see the leg, buy a popsicle, chocolate covered ice cream, etc. Just one. cut the stick just short of the length of the chicks leg. You don't want the edge of the stick digging into the chick. A pair of poultry scissors does the job nicely and very neat. Have some sandpaper handy to sand any rough edges. Place the cut down stick against the leg and wrap with tape or yarn, or whatever you have handy. Also a trick I learned from a pediatrician. Wrap the chick first in a small piece of cloth so it can't wiggle. Make sure you wrap the wings. Remember not to place too much tape on the leg. It will be harder to remove later when the leg is healed. And you will have to repeat the wrap again. Good luck.

Whenever my kids were really small, under two years old, I used to wrap them tightly so I could get medicine down their throat. Hold down their tongue with the spoon. In order to breath, they have to swallow. Works on animals also. :)

It has been a stressful 24-hours for the chicken mid-wife. The little buff has a splayed leg--my attempts to create a brace were not successful. Back to the Internet..."best done with two people..." No sh*t. Trying to hold a squiggly little chick on my lap (on its back) and loop yarn around one foot, strand to the other (which is kicking wildly in the air) and loop it is for someone with more dexterity than I have. The little one that hatched yesterday is with Momma. I switched the nest box for a Vari200--closer to the floor and all of them can hop in and out. But, when I went out to bring the little black one (known as #8) to his (well, if what I read about sexing barred Plymouth Rocks is true--he's got a white spot on the top of his head, so most likely male) momma, the other little black one (probably also a male) was lieing on the floor, eyes closed, not responsive. Not again, I did this yesterday! I brought him in (he did peep as I carried him in), reheated the towel in the microwave, packed it inside of two ziplock bags, popped it into the towel holder (previously known as the icepack holder for dogs that had had surgery), put that in the box with Buffie (a/k/a #7) and plopped him on top of that. He's on his feet, but he and the Buff are going to the airport with me. I need help getting the buff's leg braced. Which reminds me, I have to pack wooden matchsticks, straws, surgical tape, vet wrap, yarn, and ouble-sided tape. Not sure which method we will use...but best to have all the supplies needed on hand. If I can get them all to survive until they feather out, I'll be very happy. Who knew having chicklets could be so much fun! (I knew there was a reason I bought ready-to lay chicks last year--I didn't want to "kill" any day olds because of my inexperience as a chicken keeper...). All in a day of chicken keeping...

You are a fantastic chickie mommie and mid-wife! And they are lucky chicklets to have you around.

Just a suggestion. Not being able to see the leg, buy a popsicle, chocolate covered ice cream, etc. Just one. cut the stick just short of the length of the chicks leg. You don't want the edge of the stick digging into the chick. A pair of poultry scissors does the job nicely and very neat. Have some sandpaper handy to sand any rough edges. Place the cut down stick against the leg and wrap with tape or yarn, or whatever you have handy. Also a trick I learned from a pediatrician. Wrap the chick first in a small piece of cloth so it can't wiggle. Make sure you wrap the wings. Remember not to place too much tape on the leg. It will be harder to remove later when the leg is healed. And you will have to repeat the wrap again. Good luck.

Whenever my kids were really small, under two years old, I used to wrap them tightly so I could get medicine down their throat. Hold down their tongue with the spoon. In order to breath, they have to swallow. Works on animals also. :)
A bandaid is the route we took. It was a lot easier than trying to put the yarn on. Buff (#7) was able to stand--its sleeping now. Hopefully, this problem will be fixed within 5-30 days. Splayed legs (it only has one) can be caused by temperature/humidity changes during incubation (Miss Broodie was in charge of that, not me). Or, slippery floors in the brooder. Or genetics. Or just plain crappy luck. Or, it is a ploy to move into The Big Chicken's house...

Last edited:
A bandaid is the route we took. It was a lot easier than trying to put the yarn on. Buff (#7) was able to stand--its sleeping now. Hopefully, this problem will be fixed within 5-30 days. Splayed legs (it only has one) can be caused by temperature/humidity changes during incubation (Miss Broodie was in charge of that, not me). Or, slippery floors in the brooder. Or genetics. Or just plain crappy luck. Or, it is a ploy to move into The Big Chicken's house...

The last option...... :LOL:

Seven days and seven nights..sadly. #5 died, so now there are 7 chicks. They are all very cute, and if I weren't so busy, I'd be sitting there taking pics of them every 2 minutes. Who knew having chicklets could be so much fun!

Seven days and seven nights..sadly. #5 died, so now there are 7 chicks. They are all very cute, and if I weren't so busy, I'd be sitting there taking pics of them every 2 minutes. Who knew having chicklets could be so much fun!

Was that the one with the gimpy leg? So sorry to hear about this. I had high hopes that all would make it. But even in the wild, there is usually one that doesn't make it. He/she went to the bigger chickie house in the sky. :angel:

Darn! So sorry! But 7 is still a handful! Have a rest and get us a couple pics of your GrandChicklets.

So sorry, CWS.

Just curious, when they grow up, will you be keeping all the males? Assuming some are roosters.

Was that the one with the gimpy leg? So sorry to hear about this. I had high hopes that all would make it. But even in the wild, there is usually one that doesn't make it. He/she went to the bigger chickie house in the sky. :angel:
"Gimpy leg" is #7--he/she/it is still hanging in there. The one that died was one of the black ones--the one I couldn't catch, but found on the floor, brought it in, put it under the heat lamp, yadda, yadda, yadda. Did that for 2 days, and then it died.

"Gimpy leg" is #7--he/she/it is still hanging in there. The one that died was one of the black ones--the one I couldn't catch, but found on the floor, brought it in, put it under the heat lamp, yadda, yadda, yadda. Did that for 2 days, and then it died.

Looks like Gimpy Leg is a fighter. (I think it has been given a name.) I just hope the other don't start picking on it. They usually go for the weakling of the group. BTW how is the leg doing? :)

Back
Top Bottom