"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Did you know that you can tell when an egg was extra big for the chicken that laid it? The shell is kind of wrinkly at one end. It has to do with the shells hardening in air and the chicken was straining.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey TaxLady--Myrtle laid a really big egg on Thursday--I thought it was a dooble yolker. It was a perfect egg--except it was a blood egg. Yuck.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Cws keep the stories up and give my best regards to the flock
Old 11-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

We had our first snowfall yesterday in SE Ontario...about 6 inches (10-12 cm). I was wondering how the girls and Cocky Rocky would react to snow....I opened the "people" door, tossed some pasta (one of their favorite treats) a foot or so out. They lined up--looked at me--looked at each other--tentatively touched a toe out, pulled back, cackled to one another, but not one of them would go for the pasta. I think they were a bit dismayed--what? Where did our world go? No, we're chickens and we're not going out there! The pasta was still in the snow at 3 p.m. I gave in--I retrieved the pasta from the snow and hand-fed it to them inside...I know, I'm a softy. I also cooked oatmeal for them for their "evening feed" last night and turned on the water heater on the water hopper so they could drink warm water...time to go see if they laid eggs today (hopefully they didn't knock the hopper off and roost on the heater element). My DH is probably right--I really am a mother hen and baby them! (And, if I were a chicken, I'd like ME to be my chicken keeper.) I've been considering getting those "disks" that vets use to keep temps up after surgery or filling hot water bottles and putting those in their nest boxes...and am resisting bringing any of them in the house!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
Head Chef

One winter I watched the summer's hatch of two baby crows who were regular visitors to the small pond in front of our house. At the first freeze, they landed at the edge of what was their usual drinking spot but found it hard under their feet. They skittered around on the ice and pecked at it, obviously puzzled but also looking like they were having fun.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
We had our first snowfall yesterday in SE Ontario...about 6 inches (10-12 cm). I was wondering how the girls and Cocky Rocky would react to snow....I opened the "people" door, tossed some pasta (one of their favorite treats) a foot or so out. They lined up--looked at me--looked at each other--tentatively touched a toe out, pulled back, cackled to one another, but not one of them would go for the pasta. I think they were a bit dismayed--what? Where did our world go? No, we're chickens and we're not going out there! The pasta was still in the snow at 3 p.m. I gave in--I retrieved the pasta from the snow and hand-fed it to them inside...I know, I'm a softy. I also cooked oatmeal for them for their "evening feed" last night and turned on the water heater on the water hopper so they could drink warm water...time to go see if they laid eggs today (hopefully they didn't knock the hopper off and roost on the heater element). My DH is probably right--I really am a mother hen and baby them! (And, if I were a chicken, I'd like ME to be my chicken keeper.) I've been considering getting those "disks" that vets use to keep temps up after surgery or filling hot water bottles and putting those in their nest boxes...and am resisting bringing any of them in the house!
No chickens in the house!!! Aren't the Saints enough??? Slime and poop!! No, No chickens in the house.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I was wondering if one could make diapers for chickens...no, you're right, PF, no chickens in the house. Although, when I was in high school, a friend's family had a rooster in the house at night...
Old 11-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I was wondering if one could make diapers for chickens...no, you're right, PF, no chickens in the house. Although, when I was in high school, a friend's family had a rooster in the house at night...
That was just to hit the snooze alarm...
Old 11-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Now I know what the chickens do when I'm not around...they play mouseball. The game goes something like this: Chicken one (most likely Harriet) catches the mouse. She races away from the rest of the flock. Three chickens (Henny, Penny, and Millie) are hot in pursuit. Henny makes a grab for the mouseball, Harriet retreats to the corner to consume the morsel left in her beak. This game continues with the pursuers changing roles as another chicken surrenders the mouseball, minus one more morsel. Rocky is, I believe, the referee. He stands in the middle of the barn flapping his wings and crowing. I knew chickens liked mice, but now that there are 17 of them in the barn, I hadn't seen them play this game until today. If the mice were smart, they'd move out of the barn.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Now I know what the chickens do when I'm not around...they play mouseball. The game goes something like this: Chicken one (most likely Harriet) catches the mouse. She races away from the rest of the flock. Three chickens (Henny, Penny, and Millie) are hot in pursuit. Henny makes a grab for the mouseball, Harriet retreats to the corner to consume the morsel left in her beak. This game continues with the pursuers changing roles as another chicken surrenders the mouseball, minus one more morsel. Rocky is, I believe, the referee. He stands in the middle of the barn flapping his wings and crowing. I knew chickens liked mice, but now that there are 17 of them in the barn, I hadn't seen them play this game until today. If the mice were smart, they'd move out of the barn.
Mouse flavored fresh eggs...I didn't know chickens would chase and catch mice.

Tags
chicken