Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have discovered the best defense re: fending off Cocky Rocky is the garden hose! Picture this--me armed with the garden hose, spray set to "jet," Rocky running at me in full battle-stance mode. Aim, fire, shoot! One rooster on his a## as the stream of water hits him. Picture me armed with the garden hose, Rocky under the deck minding his hens...aim, fire, SHOOT! Now all I have to do is pick up the garden hose and Rocky beats a hasty retreat under the branches of the trees or the deck...who knew water could be such an effective weapon!!! Ha-ha, Rocky, I have more tricks up my sleeve than you do!!!! Besides, he needs a bath...

CWS,

I can just imagine ... Very well told vividness ... The Vet had said; Rocky the Rooster knows when Mom is the Boss and also when she is teed off !

Have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margaux.

A squirt gun didn't work (nor did throwing a very nice glass of red wine on him--that's all I had at the time), but the garden hose--that works!

CWS,

I can just imagine ... Very well told vividness ... The Vet had said; Rocky the Rooster knows when Mom is the Boss and also when she is teed off !

Have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margaux.
The Vet would probably be impressed by the way we have rotated the joint on the "gimpy" chick (the Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering figured that out)--vet wrap, gauze, and then a tiny pebble from Lake of the Woods--I bring sand and pebbles back every August--my most favorite place to go--(pic is the view out the window from the cabin in the morning) more vet wrap to place the pebble in the right place on the foot so the chick has to bear weight on it. Most peope would've culled this chick...we're softies so we're trying to fix it. The standard methods for fixing a splay foot didn't work because the joint is where it splays...the pebble seems to be working. I check the foot several times/day for swelling and temperature. So far, so good. Little Pebbles is using it. Probably doesn't like the added weight....

Attachments

• LOW.jpg
    LOW.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I personaly think you would look good in a firefighter's outfit and using their hose. Can you imagine the blast you could give Rocky then?

If he ever decides to ignore your hose, call the fire department and have them give him a blast with their hose. He will get instant flying lessons. :ohmy:

I personaly think you would look good in a firefighter's outfit and using their hose. Can you imagine the blast you could give Rocky then?

If he ever decides to ignore your hose, call the fire department and have them give him a blast with their hose. He will get instant flying lessons. :ohmy:
Hmmm...a purple firefighter's outfit...I actually have one of those hoses--it came with a rescue dog as the poor dog's leash! Rocky might not fly after a blast from one of those--but I can guarantee you he would go arse-over-teakettle more than once!!! Ha-ha!

I was thinking of just carrying the "nozzle." Pics, I promise, tomorrow. Big Handsome arrived for a visit (10 days) today, and I got distracted. Big Handsome is my most favorite Saint Bernard I ever fostered and placed. He was very intrigued by the girls...all 175 lb of him bounced around the yard after the girls (who are not afraid of him--who could be afraid of Big Handsome). Rocky, on the other hand, was not impressed! Ha-Ha Rocky--I have more tricks in store for you!

Poor Rocky. He is having a hard time finding out that he is not King of the Roost. :ohmy:
It should be interesting having Big Handsome (who was dumped on our rescue group by s/one in Hollywood, CA who now lives in ON, I could name names, without any funds, and needing $3500 of knee surgery--which he had 2+ years ago) here for 10 days. Might knock Rocky off his throne yet!

Last edited:
So I can't find the charger for the batteries--looked high and low...hmmm...think it is at the farm.

For the last two days, I can't get the girls to go to bed until 8:30. They were going to bed around 7. The problem, if I go out on the deck when they are making their way to the barn (which is their coop), they turn around and come running to see if there are more treats. This trek takes about 45 minutes if not interrupted. Little brats and Harriet and Myrtle lead the pack. Bring some food out, you say? That doesn't work if any of them are already roosting--they don't stay inside, they go outside. So I have 1/3 of the in, 1/3 of them out, and 1/3 running back to the house ...my bad tossing "treats" off the deck. I start trying to get them to the coop/barn at 7:30--I wanted to head out to the farm...I finally tucked Myrtle under my arm and went back out to the barn--the 4 others followed and Rocky scolded me the whole time, but did not try to attack me. Probably helped I had my 175 lb "body" guard in the form of one of the most handsome Saint Bernards ever. Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN! Or, that I needed to add a metal garbage can to my kitchen-dining area decor so I could store chicken feed (don't want to invite wildlife or rodents). Maybe I should spray-paint it purple so it won't be so conspicuous...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom