"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #231
Chef Extraordinaire

Cocky Rocky has to go. For the past couple of days, he's been attacking me (when feeding them). He started this yesterday--normally, if he attacked me, it wasn't when I was feeding them. I usually crouch down on the ground and wait for him to calm down. This didn't work today. Once I stood up, he continued his assault on me. I have several puncture wounds on my shin and one on my arm (and that one really hurts). Sad as it is, Cocky Rocky has to go (either we sell him or he goes in the roaster pan). Damn. He's so handsome. Unless s/one has other ideas of how to get him to stop seeing me as a threat to "his" hens?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky_fight 003.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	13715  

Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #232
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh, that looks nasty! Too bad, but if you can't get out to take care of the girls when he is about...

Take care, CWS!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #233
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh, that looks nasty! Too bad, but if you can't get out to take care of the girls when he is about...

Take care, CWS!
Thanks, PF. It hurts! I am hoping it doesn't get infected. I will try carrying a broom. I am waiting to hear back from a friend who has 60 chickens and several roosters to see if she has any tips. I am hoping she doesn't recommend getting another rooster! One is enough. I could leave him at the farm and get him a small flock to keep out here--leave them to the DH to take care of...or, sell him, but who wants an aggressive rooster?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #234
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You took his ladies away for awhile. He's upset because he knows something is up. I know that doesn't help your dilemma, but I do understand why he's mad at you.

How soon were you planning to move them all permanently?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #235
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
You took his ladies away for awhile. He's upset because he knows something is up. I know that doesn't help your dilemma, but I do understand why he's mad at you.

How soon were you planning to move them all permanently?
That was 2 weeks ago. He just started attacking me on Sunday. It has escalated. I was planning on moving all of them next week. At the moment, Rocky doesn't have a ticket for the ride. He's wait-listed.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #236
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You could try moving him with them and see if he will settle down. Maybe the new location will distract him. Or make it worse. Tough decision, I know. We'll still love you no matter what you do. {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #237
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
You could try moving him with them and see if he will settle down. Maybe the new location will distract him. Or make it worse. Tough decision, I know. We'll still love you no matter what you do. {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}.
I'll start wearing my rubber boots and long sleeves--I obviously won't be wearing sundresses around him or a bathing suit. I don't know why he attacks me. I guess he sees me as a threat, but I'm the one that feeds them. That's what got me this morning, I was feeding them. The other times he has flown at me has been when the girls follow me around the yard, and he hasn't been that aggressive about it. Today he would not stop and got me with his spurs...wonder if I can get those removed...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #238
Senior Cook

When I had a rooster I had to re-home, I simply placed a free ad in the local paper requesting (but not insisting) that I'd prefer a "live" home rather than a "cooking" home. Also listed in no uncertain terms that he was aggressive. This was a n"adoption" - I didn't want money for him.

My absolutely gorgeous Rhode Island Red roo ended up with a wonderful home with a local policeman who had just started his own flock & wanted a really nice rooster. Couldn't have ended up better.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #239
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll modify my attire and behaviour and see if that helps. Otherwise, he has a new home, a/k/a crock pot or freezer camp. Technically, the DH bought him, so I think the DH should decide what to do with him....
Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #240
Chef Extraordinaire

CWS, when I was doing my dastardly deed with the elastics for worms, the last day I went into the chicken yard, the rooster came at me and got me good in the leg. I still have the little hole in the side of my leg. It developed into impetigo. I was in the fouth fourth grade at the time. Small town, only four class rooms in the whole school. Grades one through eight. The whole school became infected. Not a fun time for me. Take care of that wound. Remember Cocky Rocky is walking around in chicken droppings all day long. And yes, you can have those spurs removed.

Tags
chicken