Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suspect they were close to the bottom--pecking for bugs unearthed when the logs were moved, cut, and stacked. It didn't seem to stop them from hanging out near the fence today. When I got home from the farm, three of the reds were at the gate--which is just south of the wood pile. Millie didn't come sauntering up the driveway--she was on the "chicken" side of the fence when I came home from the farm. Silly Millie.

I am still chuckling. It will be a short while before they go near the wood pile again. Poor Cocky Rocky. His feathers got ruffled once again. He is no longer Cock of the Walk. Here's wishing he is happier with his new brood of hens to look after. Who knew there ever was a Rooster Rescue Refuge.

Thank you CWS for starting my day off with a good laugh. I just love those girls with their antics. They certainly can keep you on your toes. :LOL::LOL:

Best of luck today re: your daughter's surgery. Positive thoughts being sent your family's way.

Miss Millie went a'wandering again. The DH and I were sitting on the side steps (the steps that are to the door from the driveway). I was telling him about Miss Millie's wanderings...who do you think came sauntering up the driveway?

"Cooo--I've been to visit the neighbours...did you know they have a garden, cooo?"

Speak of the devil...

Last edited:
Best of luck today re: your daughter's surgery. Positive thoughts being sent your family's way.

Miss Millie went a'wandering again. The DH and I were sitting on the side steps (the steps that are to the door from the driveway). I was telling him about Miss Millie's wanderings...who do you think came sauntering up the driveway?

"Cooo--I've been to visit the neighbours...did you know they have a garden, cooo?"

Speak of the devil...

Cooo.... Their worms aren't as tasty as yours.

We know she is not going under--we have hardware cloth along the bottom ($$$$) and 2 ft up. She most likely is hopping onto the propane tank and then going onto the branch, and then over. DH cut the branch Saturday. We'll see if she goes a'wandering today. Can't do much about the propane tank.

This probably should be in the "last thing that made you laugh" thread. I was finishing up the tomatoes (about 12-15 lb) to put them in the oven to roast. I've been tossing the "tomato butts" out for the girls. But, I got a phone call, so I hadn't tossed any out for about 45 minutes.

"Peck-peck-peck--yo! Big Chiclen--you there?"

(Huh? What is that noise?)

"Harriet, what are you doing?"

"I want more tomato butts. Peck-peck-peck."

Harriet was at the French door, pecking on the glass, her neck craned in an attempt to see me in the kitchen. Behind her were Elsie, Myrtle, and Millie.

Millie: "Is she coming?"

"No. Peck-peck-PECK!!!"

Myrtle: "Oh for chickens' sake, if we all perch on that knob, we might open the door."

Elsie: "Oh, I don't know...she might not like that..."

Millie: "Cooo....maybe I can throw my voice and she'll come looking for me....COOOO?"

"PECK, PECK, PECK--SCRATCH-SCRATCH!"

(Yes, I did let them in--I'd found some dried out Brie in the fridge--gotta love pigs with wings.)

Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN?

Last edited:
Next thing you know she will be sneaking out the barn window at night to meet up with some handsome rooster now that Cocky Rocky is gone.

BTW, don't be surprised if their egg laying has been affected by the wood pile incident. Like my elastic episode did. They may lay fewer eggs for a day or two. (I am still giggling about that.) Traumatic events can have that affect on them. :)

This probably should be in the "last thing that made you laugh" thread. I was finishing up the tomatoes (about 12-15 lb) to put them in the oven to roast. I've been tossing the "tomato butts" out for the girls. But, I got a phone call, so I hadn't tossed any out for about 45 minutes.

"Peck-peck-peck--yo! Big Chiclen--you there?"

(Huh? What is that noise?)

"Harriet, what are you doing?"

"I want more tomato butts. Peck-peck-peck."

Harriet was at the French door, pecking on the glass, her neck craned in an attempt to see me in the kitchen. Behind her were Elsie, Myrtle, and Millie.

Millie: "Is she coming?"

"No. Peck-peck-PECK!!!"

Myrtle: "Oh for chickens' sake, if we all perch on that knob, we might open the door."

Elsie: "Oh, I don't know...she might not like that..."

Millie: "Cooo....maybe I can throw my voice and she'll come looking for me....COOOO?"

"PECK, PECK, PECK--SCRATCH-SCRATCH!"

(Yes, I did let them in--I'd found some dried out Brie in the fridge--gotta love pigs with wings.)

Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN?

Spoiled little brats! First they give you a heart attack thinking there is danger lurking in the yard, then they expect to be rewarded. :angel:

Got a full clutch of eggs yesterday. They don't seem to miss Rocky as much as he misses them!

A fellow chicken keeper says that I do spoil the girls...but they are good layers!

Picture this--Cliff is on the loveseat sleeping, I'm in the living room, cutting the butts off beans, watching a cooking show. The windows are open--it is a lovely, almost fall-like day.

"Coooo....look, a butterfly."

"Millie--are you out of the chicken fence again?"

"Coooo...."

Oh crud.

"Cliff, crate." (Good boy, he goes in his crate).

I open the front door, sprinkle some feed on the steps, and wait.

"Cooo....did you see that Miss Broody is under the apple tree...cooo?"

"WHAT?"

It wasn't just Miss Broody, 11/15 hens are on the lawn--Prudence is trying to catch butterflies, Elsie is in the flower bed, Myrtle and Harriet are at the end of the driveway...Elrma and Edna are eating the windfall apples...

"What the ?"

I slip on my Crocs, go out the back door (deck door--oh, look, the "Littles" are in the yard. Prudence is balanced on the wood pile trying to figure out how she too can perch on the fence and then bounce over..._) so I can open the gate (I'm really rethinking this "gate opens from inside the yard" idea), grab a container of treats, and start herding chickens.

As I'm herding the chickens back in the "chicken yard," I hear "BLARE-BLARE-BLARE" oh--crap, the tomatoes that I put in the oven to roast have set off the smoke alarm.

Green acres is the place for me,
Farm livin' is the life for me,
Land spreadin' out so far and wide,
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

And then there's:

Well life on the farm is kinda laid back, (in whose world????)
There ain't much that a country boy like me can't hack

Wait one doggone minute, I'm NOT a country boy!

These hens are out of control--their JOB is to lay eggs--not patrol the property.

Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN! (On my way to get hair dye to cover the grey they've given me this week.)

Last edited:
Picture this--Cliff is on the loveseat sleeping, I'm in the living room, cutting the butts off beans, watching a cooking show. The windows are open--it is a lovely, almost fall-like day.

"Coooo....look, a butterfly."

"Millie--are you out of the chicken fence again?"

"Coooo...."

Oh crud.

"Cliff, crate." (Good boy, he goes in his crate).

I open the front door, sprinkle some feed on the steps, and wait.

"Cooo....did you see that Miss Broody is under the apple tree...cooo?"

"WHAT?"

It wasn't just Miss Broody, 11/15 hens are on the lawn--Prudence is trying to catch butterflies, Elsie is in the flower bed, Myrtle and Harriet are at the end of the driveway...Elrma and Edna are eating the windfall apples...

"What the ?"

I slip on my Crocs, go out the back door (deck door--oh, look, the "Littles" are in the yard. Prudence is balanced on the wood pile trying to figure out how she too can perch on the fence and then bounce over..._) so I can open the gate (I'm really rethinking this "gate opens from inside the yard" idea), grab a container of treats, and start herding chickens.

As I'm herding the chickens back in the "chicken yard," I hear "BLARE-BLARE-BLARE" oh--crap, the tomatoes that I put in the oven to roast have set off the smoke alarm.

Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN!

Green acres is the place for me,
Farm livin' is the life for me,
Land spreadin' out so far and wide,
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

And then there's:

Well life on the farm is kinda laid back, (in whose world????)
There ain't much that a country boy like me can't hack

Wait one doggone minute, I'm NOT a country boy!

These hens are out of control--their JOB is to lay eggs--not patrol the property.

Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN! (On my way to get hair dye to cover the grey they've given me this week.)

It sounds like they are staying awake nights thinking up things to keep you on your toes. Someone once told me the reason yard birds don't wander off is because they stay close to their food. I think the girls missed that memo. :ohmy:

It sounds like they are staying awake nights thinking up things to keep you on your toes. Someone once told me the reason yard birds don't wander off is because they stay close to their food. I think the girls missed that memo. :ohmy:
The memo is being printed as I type.:LOL: I was told they don't wander more than 100 ft from their coop--HA! They didn't get that memo either.

Last edited:
The memo is being printed as I type.:LOL: I was told they don't wander more than 100 ft from their coop--HA! They didn't get that memo either.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thanks for the laugh. Our barnyard birds never left the yard. Sometimes I wished the dang Tom turkey would take off. But he stuck around until he took a hunk out of my daughter's butt. Then he went into the freezer for winter eating. He was one mean bird. Like Cocky Rocky. :wacko:

We started out with three turkeys. Two hens and one Tom. They are the dumbest things on this earth. Every time it rained, if I was out shopping, I would have to rush home and make them get inside. They would stick their heads up with their mouths open and the rain would go down the wrong way and they would drown while standing there. A couple of times I didn't make it fast enough and the girls drowned before I could get home. Dumb, dumb, dumb!!! :wacko::wacko:

So long, farewell,
Auf Weidersehen, goodbye.

[...] I leave and heave
A sigh and say goodbye (Where are MY HENS!)

[...] I flit, I float,
I fleetly flee, I fly (oh, right, I can't fly!)

What--the Big Chicken is writng a book about us? Wait a minute, what about our fans?

She says they'll come back...

Get out of the forum--start writing!

"Did you pick up the mail? Is my entry form for the egg-laying contest in there?"

Yes, Myrtle, it is here but...it is for ...

"I know I can lay the biggest egg! Where's my nest box? Where are your keys! Let's GO!"

"But Myrtle--"

"No Buts! I can win this!"

"Oooo-kay..."

Back
Top Bottom