Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS4322 said:
So long, farewell,
Auf Weidersehen, goodbye.

[...] I leave and heave
A sigh and say goodbye (Where are MY HENS!)

[...] I flit, I float,
I fleetly flee, I fly (oh, right, I can't fly!)

What--the Big Chicken is writng a book about us? Wait a minute, what about our fans?

She says they'll come back...

Get out of the forum--start writing!

"Did you pick up the mail? Is my entry form for the egg-laying contest in there?"

Yes, Myrtle, it is here but...it is for ...

"I know I can lay the biggest egg! Where's my nest box? Where are your keys! Let's GO!"

"But Myrtle--"

"No Buts! I can win this!"

"Oooo-kay..."

Oh CWS, you chicken stories are so cute! I love to hear what they are all up to. Please let the girls know that we are always here to hear their stories! To bad you and Myrtle and all the girls can't go on the road with this show!!! :D

Thank you Dave. that was so delightful I wish the Muppets were still on TV. Or at least do them on a rerun. :angel:

Rocky's been in the Rooster Relocation Program for almost a month. His behaviour has changed now that he doesn't have hens to protect. Well, now that he doesn't have the pampered, independent girls to protect. The DH is about to break down, however, and get Rocky a few hens--there are four young Plymouth Rock hens available...I suspect they will be relocated to the farm before the weekend. As long as they aren't like the flock here, hopefully Rocky will be fine. Someone will have to go out and check on them every couple of days...The Girls who suffered "rooster damage" (a/k/a "the Barebacks") are getting their feathers back. This makes me happy--I was worried about how they'd survive the winter with so much skin showing. The Newbys are integrated, and the Littles are also integrated into the flock. They are almost 3 months old. I am thinking that they are all hens. They will stay here with my flock. Myrtle and Millie are vying for top hen position...I think Myrtle might have the upper wing.

There are three that watch from the window for me each morning. I wave at them as I start out to the barn-coop. I swear, two of them wave back--I see a wing raised after I wave at them...they've also taken over the deck furniture--it is not uncommon for 2 or 3 to be sitting on each deck chair...who knew life with chickens could be so much FUN!

I guess I missed something. Barebacks? I'd scroll through the Chronicles, but 505 posts...?

Other farm animals have the same problems. Stallions do damage with their hoof and teeth. They like to bite the neck of the mare when mating. Bulls are the same. Their hoofs are very sharp. Sometimes they cut the back of the cows. It is why they aren't allowed to field breed with the cows. They are kept separate. In a pasture far away from the heifers. Once they get the odor of them in estes, they will break fences and anything else to get to the girls. Also if their is more than one stallion or bull on the farm, they have no way of knowing which is the father to which animal. Professional farms keep exact mating records. Even mink farms. Nasty animals those mink. YUK! :angel:

I guess I missed something. Barebacks? I'd scroll through the Chronicles, but 505 posts...?

When birds mate, the male hops on the back of the female. The rooster has sharp spurs and can do some serious damage on the hens' backs. He also digs his feet into the hen for the purpose of holding on the female. Damage the hens enough and their feathers fall out. :angel:

When birds mate, the male hops on the back of the female. The rooster has sharp spurs and can do some serious damage on the hens' backs. He also digs his feet into the hen for the purpose of holding on the female. Damage the hens enough and their feathers fall out. :angel:

That covers the birds, what about the bees? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm about to hit the road to pick up Chicks. If you're heading east on the 401 this morning and spot a Volvo with a bunch of Chicks riding shotgun, honk!

(I promise, this is the LAST time I pick up Chicks! I'm trying to curb my ways. Since they are for Rocky, does that make me a Chick Trafficker?)

How many chicks are you getting? One of our "rules" living in our area is that you can only have 25 chickens at once. I don't think I would want any more than that on five acres anyway. Lol

How many chicks are you getting? One of our "rules" living in our area is that you can only have 25 chickens at once. I don't think I would want any more than that on five acres anyway. Lol
We have five properties. I have 23 chickens, no rooster (!) at one; the DH has 9 hens, 1 rooster at another rural property, and we have 9 hens, 1 rooster (Rocky) out at the farm. We're good. My property is zoned Ag2, the farm is zoned the same. The DH's property is the only one that is "iffy" but the neighbour across the road has 24 hens and 1 rooster, so I think we're good. I so want "silver stockings." No more--no more! We don't want to fall into the "chicken hoarder" class. Collectively, on three properties, we have 41 hens (not all are laying yet) and 2 roosters. Enough! BTW, the girls are on holiday--they are not working in the egg production factory. I got 11 eggs yesterday, 6 the day before, and only 4 today. I guess they are on holidays.

Last edited:
Sad, sad day yesterday. The DH came by, with his dogs, to saw some firewood. His dog (who has pissed on my furniture, ripped my curtains, scratched my walls, fought with my foster dog) killed mini Millie and Pebbles yesterday--but he's "good" with the DH's flock--right.

I have the girls listed for sale. I have s/one interested in Millie, Penny, Henny, Eggatha, and Prudence. It breaks my heart. The DH is not willing to manage his dog (the dog has also killed a neighbour's cat and kittens), has growled at me...etc The DH is not willing to manage his dog or train it--it is a good dog--right. I said that he should consider leash-walking, crating, not letting the dog out on the property when the girls are out. He can't (won't) do that to the dog--instead he will let it kill my chickens. I have tolerated said dog--and, I love dogs, but not this dog--he is not a nice dog, but could be if his owner would be willing to set boundaries and train him--not willing to do that. Killing Pebbles and Mini Millie was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I need the DH to help with stuff around the house, but he won't do anything re: managing his chicken-killing dog and I can't put more of the girls at risk. I have requested that the people who buy them buy them as pets....we'll see. And yes, it hurts that the dog is more important than I am or our relationship.

Mods, could you please close this thread tomorrow? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom