"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #271
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Glad it all went well, I do love your chicken stories
+1. My favorite thread. Well written.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #272
Chef Extraordinaire

I forgot to mention that I put Myrtle and Harriet in the house while I was trying to round up the others for the night. I would fear for my life if something were to happen to those two--I'd never hear the end of it and would have to sleep with one eye open for the rest of my life.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #273
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I forgot to mention that I put Myrtle and Harriet in the house while I was trying to round up the others for the night. I would fear for my life if something were to happen to those two--I'd never hear the end of it and would have to sleep with one eye open for the rest of my life.
I'm sure at some point we will have Harriet 2 and Myrtle 2...while we love those girls, we are not disillusioned to believe they will be around forever.

I'm glad all ended well, time for some rest and decompressing.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #274
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm sure at some point we will have Harriet 2 and Myrtle 2...while we love those girls, we are not disillusioned to believe they will be around forever.

I'm glad all ended well, time for some rest and decompressing.
Are you ever going to let the girls nest a clutch of eggs?
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #275
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Are you ever going to let the girls nest a clutch of eggs?
One of the Buffs, I want to say Agatha, went broody on Friday. She's sitting on a clutch right now. If I can be around when she gets off for a bite to eat, I may be able to count the eggs. Whether they will all hatch, is another story. They will be crosses (unless there are some PR eggs there, but those are the ones who have been laying their eggs in the loft). Can you imagine me having to keep track of a bunch of chicks in addition to the hens?! These girls will be the death of me. Who knew having chickens could be so much fun!
Old 05-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #276
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
One of the Buffs, I want to say Agatha, went broody on Friday. She's sitting on a clutch right now. If I can be around when she gets off for a bite to eat, I may be able to count the eggs. Whether they will all hatch, is another story. They will be crosses (unless there are some PR eggs there, but those are the ones who have been laying their eggs in the loft). Can you imagine me having to keep track of a bunch of chicks in addition to the hens?! These girls will be the death of me. Who knew having chickens could be so much fun!
You may have a fight on your hands. When Agatha goes to eat, one of the other girls may try to take over her clutch. Then you will see the feathers fly.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #277
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You may have a fight on your hands. When Agatha goes to eat, one of the other girls may try to take over her clutch. Then you will see the feathers fly.
Oh, please don't tell me that! I have enough going on right now with the move, gardens, etc. If anyone, I think Myrtle might step up to the plate. She has been the one sleeping between the two buffs up on the canoe out at the farm--but Myrtle is very people-oriented, so she might get bored sitting on a bunch of eggs all day. Ideally, Rocky should be the one sitting on the eggs. He's the daddy!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #278
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oh, please don't tell me that! I have enough going on right now with the move, gardens, etc. If anyone, I think Myrtle might step up to the plate. She has been the one sleeping between the two buffs up on the canoe out at the farm--but Myrtle is very people-oriented, so she might get bored sitting on a bunch of eggs all day. Ideally, Rocky should be the one sitting on the eggs. He's the daddy!
Take some eggs and make a clutch and see if one of the other girls will sit on it.

When I had the 4H kids one of the very first things they are taught is "Don't name the animal and don't get attached." It might be sound advice, but I never saw a kid that listened to it. Animals are our children is disquised. Some have feathers, some fur, some covered with course hair, some even have horns, some are big and some are small. But they all have one thing in common. They all crawl into our hearts and stay there.
They become another reason for living.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #279
Chef Extraordinaire

The girls, Rocky, and I had a much better day today. All are locked up and safe tonight--no one is AWOL. It might have helped that I made some special treats for them...but I think they just got used to being here and since I'm here, they know me. I think they are a little puzzled why my roost is above them when they are on the ground (the concept of a deck...they like to come up on the deck...). Here are some of the pics re: Operation Red Hen before everything went to h*ll in a hand basket. I've included the results of 3-days of chicken tilling of the garden patch as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken_tilling_cws.jpg.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	13793   Click image for larger version

Name:	loaded up.jpg.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	13794  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Citylife.jpg.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	13795  
Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #280
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The girls, Rocky, and I had a much better day today. All are locked up and safe tonight--no one is AWOL. It might have helped that I made some special treats for them...but I think they just got used to being here and since I'm here, they know me. I think they are a little puzzled why my roost is above them when they are on the ground (the concept of a deck...they like to come up on the deck...). Here are some of the pics re: Operation Red Hen before everything went to h*ll in a hand basket. I've included the results of 3-days of chicken tilling of the garden patch as well.
They look like they are settling right in and are at home. The girls know that they are not your run-of-the-mill chickens. I have this image of you pulling out your wallet and showing pictures of your children. CHICKENS!

Tags
chicken