Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Knock-knock.

Who's there?

Eggna...I want cheese!!!!

(Who said chickens were stupid? It only took one afternoon in the house when she was under the weather for Eggna (Edna) to figure out that good treats are on the other side of that door).

I'm out at the farm waiting for more chicks to hatch....momma is clucking, but no peeping, yet. Soon! The three babies Miss Broody has been tending now have their Rhode Island Red feathers...oh, and Sir Rocky is destined for freezer camp. He's more aggressive then ever--I can't get within 10 feet of the barn when he's out. Good thing I thought to bring my "Rocky" baseball bat with me. Sad, but he's had every opportunity to change his ways (and to think I nursed him back to health last fall and even rocked him and sang to him) . Cocky rooster.

BTW, chickens usually poop the most at night, so when they come in to the house for a visit, they are usually very clean and don't poop.

Last edited:
When we were little, my bro and I had pet rabbits. We lived on a farm and our dad helped us build a perfectly good rabbit hutch out of chicken wire, nice slatted floor and it was big enough for us to go inside the cage and play with our bunnies. Was that good enough...noooooo. We brought the rabbits into the house one day when mom was not home. And into the living room, which was not a playroom. Rabbit Raisins every where. behind the sofa, etc. I am surprised I don't remember gettin' a lickin' that day. Maybe I blocked it. :LOL:

Knock-knock.

Who's there?

(Who said chickens were stupid? It only took one afternoon in the house when she was under the weather for Eggna (Edna) to figure out that good treats are on the other side of that door).

I'm out at the farm waiting for more chicks to hatch....momma is clucking, but no peeping, yet. Soon! The three babies Miss Broody has been tending now have their Rhode Island Red feathers...oh, and Sir Rocky is destined for freezer camp. He's more aggressive then ever--I can't get within 10 feet of the barn when he's out. Good thing I thought to bring my "Rocky" baseball bat with me. Sad, but he's had every opportunity to change his ways (and to think I nursed him back to health last fall and even rocked him and sang to him) . Cocky rooster.

BTW, chickens usually poop the most at night, so when they come in to the house for a visit, they are usually very clean and don't poop.

I was sitter to a grand old lady today, a 15 year old Golden, nice dog. Too hot for her to stay outside in her yard today and her mom can't afford doggy daycare. So we had a good day chatting to residents and showing off her inside and outside voices, sitting, spinning and jumping. She's so good she will do the tricks for anyone.

Anyway...the closest I got to birds today was the Grey Parrot that lives in the activities room, nasty, bitey bird.

Oh yeah! Cheese! Lady, the goldie's name, found out I had cheese in the fridge...I knew they were smart dogs but that smart one had a half pound of Tillamook Cheddar...and I was worried I wouldn't know when she had to go outside.:rolleyes:

Knock-knock.

Who's there?

I am not surprised about Rocky. He has been troublesome since day one. How many chickens, not counting the babies, do you have now? :angel:

I was sitter to a grand old lady today, a 15 year old Golden, nice dog. Too hot for her to stay outside in her yard today and her mom can't afford doggy daycare. So we had a good day chatting to residents and showing off her inside and outside voices, sitting, spinning and jumping. She's so good she will do the tricks for anyone.

Anyway...the closest I got to birds today was the Grey Parrot that lives in the activities room, nasty, bitey bird.

Oh yeah! Cheese! Lady, the goldie's name, found out I had cheese in the fridge...I knew they were smart dogs but that smart one had a half pound of Tillamook Cheddar...and I was worried I wouldn't know when she had to go outside.:rolleyes:

If my golden retrievers want something, they will find a way to let you know. They are so smart. When Cooper wants out, he goes to the door and tells me. He also has indoor and outdoor voices. Too funny!

But does that nasty bird lay eggs? Does it earn its keep like the chickens do? :angel:

But does that nasty bird lay eggs? Does it earn its keep like the chickens do? :angel:
No he doesn't and his time has come :(. There are 22 hens and three chicks at my place; 10 hens at the farm, and 9 hens and 2 roosters (one is just a baby) at the DH's. Between us, we have 46 birds. We are planning to merge the farm flock (3-4 added to my flock, the rest to the DH's flock) once Rocky is gone. This is for a number of reasons--not the least of which is the farm is an hour away and it gets tricky sometimes to get out there and the farm girls need more yard time.

DH has to go to TX this week, so it won't be this week, too much to do before heading off to TX.

I had a few things to pick up at the store. Since I rarely shop, I made a list. Dressed in "clothes I could wear in public," and after I checked to make sure there was no chicken poo on my lilac crocs, I jumped in the car...crap, I left the list in the house. I didn't bother to close the car door...

"I'm riding shotgun!" Harriet proclaimed as she staked out the passenger seat.

"If you must, but I'M driving as soon as I figure out how to reach the pedals," Myrtle retorted.

"Are we there yet?" Edna (Eggna) inquired.

The big chicken returns.

"Girls, you are NOT going for a ride into town."

"Why not, we'll be good!" they replied in unison.

"Oh no you won't, one of you will surely poop."

"Not I" said Myrtle.

"Not I" said Harriet.

"Oops, you're right," said Eggna.

After a 10 minute delay to clean the chicken poo out of the back seat and shooing the girls out of the car, I was on my way to pick up, of all things, toilet paper and paper towels. Who knew having chickens could be so much fun?

Eggna seemed perfectly happy perched on the headrest of the backseat...she was going to Harriet's wing man, err, girl.

ROFL!!! I guess I meant no big chickens sit in the backseat!

Harriet: Did she leave the keys?

Eggna: I don't see any keys...

Harriet: hurry up, here she comes

Eggna: drat, foiled again

Thank you. It is so good to see the Chicken Chronicles back again. I would have loved to see the faces of the folks in town to see a chicken guarding the car. :angel:

Thank you. It is so good to see the Chicken Chronicles back again. I would have loved to see the faces of the folks in town to see a chicken guarding the car. :angel:
I did take them on a holiday to the farm last summer...Harriet and Myrtle were "packaged" in a cardboard box, which they promptly figured out how to escape. They rode shotgun on the head rests in the back seat. I did notice some that some drivers almost broke their necks when they passed the car.

"My gosh, I've never flown this fast!"
"What do you mean, we don't fly! Do we?"
"If we're not flying, what are we doing?"
"Riding shotgun, Harriet."
"I've never fired a shotgun."
"Silly, it is an idiom."
"Are you calling me an idiot?"

"Girls, don't, no don't fly out the WINDOW!!!!" (Thankfully, the big chicken could hit the electric window switch before Harriet and Myrtle took flight).

I did take them on a holiday to the farm last summer...Harriet and Myrtle were "packaged" in a cardboard box, which they promptly figured out how to escape. They rode shotgun on the head rests in the back seat. I did notice some that some drivers almost broke their necks when they passed the car.

"My gosh, I've never flown this fast!"
"What do you mean, we don't fly! Do we?"
"If we're not flying, what are we doing?"
"Riding shotgun, Harriet."
"I've never fired a shotgun."
"Silly, it is an idiom."
"Are you calling me an idiot?"

"Girls, don't, no don't fly out the WINDOW!!!!" (Thankfully, the big chicken could hit the electric window switch before Harriet and Myrtle took flight).

Those girls are so crafty. I bet if they went to Hollywood, they would be stars in no time. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom