Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is the general rule, but these two were "hatch mates" so they are okay together. Stripey is definitely not the boss of the barnyard, but he does have a couple of hens that are his "girls." There were seven more eggs that Eggatha was still waiting on. I isolated her and the babies using a barrier. They had already gone through 1-qt jar of chick starter food when I went to lock everyone up last night. I have these feeders that are inverted quart jars attached to a little feeder thingy. I brought out a 2nd full jar when I locked them up and will fill both up again when I let the adults out in the morning. Chicks eat a LOT. Once I know she's "done" trying to hatch more eggs, I will move momma and the chicks to a brooder so they are isolated. Thankfully at this time of year, momma will provide heat and I don't have to string up lamps.

Addie--you would have loved to have seen the two "eyes" peeking out from momma's feathers at me. Two separate chicks, both checking out the "Big Chicken" when she brought food and water.

These babies will not be raised anything like those that are raised in battery farms. Their momma will be with them until they are able to join the others in the yard. She will teach them how to peck and scratch, how to perch, how to dirt bath, how to hide from threats in the yard, and how to go back in at sundown. She will be followed by these chicks for a good 4-5 months before they declare their independence. The babies will form their own little "mini" flock within the flock.

I think one of the reason I love the Chicken Chronicles so much is that you are raising your babies as nature intended. Momma is the incubator. Not a large tray on a shelf.

Not counting the new babies, how many chickens in the whole flock now. I remember when you had just a handful. :angel:

I thought you had to do it within the first few days. I Googled, one place recommended 3-6 months old. I think I was confusing it with something I heard in a documentary. I heard that you can sex chicks when they are a few hours old, but it gets harder after that.
Well...if you are trained at sexing chicks, you might be able to do that. We're not trained and our research told us to just wait and see. You can tell by when they start getting their wing feathers, or wait until they are three-four weeks old. The males' necks are longer and their heads are a different shape. If anyone has a sure-fire way of sexing day-olds that doesn't involve a duct exam, I'd love to know!

Well...if you are trained at sexing chicks, you might be able to do that. We're not trained and our research told us to just wait and see. You can tell by when they start getting their wing feathers, or wait until they are three-four weeks old. The males' necks are longer and their heads are a different shape. If anyone has a sure-fire way of sexing day-olds that doesn't involve a duct exam, I'd love to know!

We would just wait to see how their combs grew. That and their tail feathers. Once their peeps start changing, you will know if you have a rooster at four in the morning. :angel:

I think one of the reason I love the Chicken Chronicles so much is that you are raising your babies as nature intended. Momma is the incubator. Not a large tray on a shelf.

Not counting the new babies, how many chickens in the whole flock now. I remember when you had just a handful. :angel:
:)Momma is the best incubator. And a lot easier than a tray on a shelf. Broody hens flip those eggs 30x/day for something like 16/17 days. And, about 24 hours before those eggs hatch (Momma knows, she can hear the peeping), she starts to make a "purring" noise to help guide them out of the shells. I don't think a mechanical incubator does that. My hatch rate has been 100% in the past, we'll see what it is this year.

There are 19 in the flock without the babies. It was a very hard winter and I had a number of 3-5 year old hens that did not survive the winter. I still have a couple in the freezer yet to bury. We now have a "hen" graveyard.

Grabbed one of the two "grey and whites" (thinking Jezzabelle's babies) to capture a photo. I will try and get photos of all tomorrow (and count them!). It isn't easy photographing 3-day old chicks.

Attachments

• 3_day_old 003.jpg
    3_day_old 003.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 136
He/she is cute, but doesn't look too happy about the photo shoot! I don't believe it was saying "I'm ready for my close up Mr. DeMile! ;) lol!!

A friend said I've fallen off the deep end...guess I should have left the laptop and Internet device at home....

The 10 3-week-old chicks and Miss Eggatha are enjoying some environmental enrichment. The gardens at the farm need attention, so I loaded up the car (that took over an hour--dogs, chicks, momma, laptop, Internet device, clothes, cooler of food). How many people take their chickens on vacation? They're loving the big barn. Hope I can corral them back in the crate on Friday or Saturday when I head back to the "city." Who knew having chickens was so much fun???

Yes, definitely the laptop and Internet device, you are just as insane as the rest of us.

I know how hard it is to leave the laptop closed and go away for a few days.

Please give Miss Eggatha a big hug for me. Why it seems like only yesterday that she was fighting Miss Myrtle for your attention like all children do. They certainly grew up so fast. At least Cocky Rocky wasn't around to leave little holes in your legs. I wonder how he would feel being the Papa to such a big brood. They babies now have all summer to grow up and make Miss Eggatha proud.

Are they able to turn the dirt as well as Miss Eggtha does yet? I went back and looked at the pictures. :angel:

Addie--I spent about an hour watching them--they can really kick the dirt with those little legs! Eggatha has taught them well. I will let them out in the farmyard today with Momma and under my supervision (and Cliff and Tucker's). Don't want any hawks to grab one up.

Addie--I spent about an hour watching them--they can really kick the dirt with those little legs! Eggatha has taught them well. I will let them out in the farmyard today with Momma and under my supervision (and Cliff and Tucker's). Don't want any hawks to grab one up.

Sure beats paying for an expensive tiller. :angel:

The "babies" are 5 weeks old this week. They survived their vacation...I think 2 are roosters--I have a home for one rooster--maybe I can integrate a third rooster into the flock. I moved Momma and the babies to the other coop on the weekend. They are so glad to be out of the Vari700 dog crate. I also have set up a 4 ft x 4 ft x-pen on the lawn (with a top--eagles have been spotted flying over). I haven't put them outside because it has been so hot, but the heat is supposed to break (and I will be home during the day after Friday--have to go to client sites tomorrow and Friday--suffer from the heat and could not bring myself to put them outside with the humidex over 35 C).

Stay tuned for updates on the babies (with pics--they are at the ugly chick phase), Myrtle getting used to her flight suit, Strippy (rooster #2) checking out the kiddie pool, Alma finally gave up trying to hatch unfertilized eggs..and teaching the hens the word "broom" to get them out of the tomato patch. Who knew having chickens was so much fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom