Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fridays are becoming the Girls favourite day of the week. I put all the "cuttings" from the things I prep for the food photographer in the "chicken" pot (I don't need a green bin--I have chickens). Today they even got steelhead trout skin (and a small piece of leftover trout). They were fighting with each other over that trout skin.

I didn't know chickens were carnivores!
Well, chickens love bugs, worms, and yes, PF, chickens eat fish. Chicken keepers are cautioned not to feed too much fish or flax seed to chickens--the eggs can taste fishy. The omega oils in fish and flax seed are great for the eggs. The Girls were chasing each other trying to steal the fish skin prize. It is fun to watch them do that. They are so entertaining. My friend who manned the dish sink went home with two dozen eggs (she works for eggs) and a half a dozen I had hard cooked (she's a vegetarian, so I did smoked tofu and hard cooked eggs for her). Her younger son loves hard cooked eggs, the older one loves smoked tofu. And the leftover arugula-quinoa-fennel-orange salad went home. Her husband loved it. She didn't have to add a lot to make supper. She liked that. And, she had fun.

Last edited:
So I was completely wrong, chickens are omnivores. No wonder eggs are so good for you!

Please tell Myrtle i said hello!

XOX

RIP Hetta. Poor Hetta, she was "off" yesterday, so I brought her in, put her in the basement by the wood stove. She didn't revive, I then put her in the bathroom and steamed her...brought her out to the farm with me...figured she'd die out here and this is where he life with us started. It was not a good day. Poor baby.

Poor Hetta, RIP!

Sorry for your loss CWS!
I figured she'd die before we got to the farm so I wrapped her in a towel and held her close to my heart inside of my jacket. I am glad I didn't get pulled over while I was adjusting her position inside of my jacket.

"Oh, officer, I was just juggling my dieing hen, is that distracted driving?"
"Hmmmm...well....the Act doesn't say anything about driving with a dieing hen...."

Didn't get pulled over, but I was trying to come up with an excuse should it have happened.

I figured she'd die before we got to the farm so I wrapped her in a towel and held her close to my heart inside of my jacket. I am glad I didn't get pulled over while I was adjusting her position inside of my jacket.

"Oh, officer, I was just juggling my dieing hen, is that distracted driving?"
"Hmmmm...well....the Act doesn't say anything about driving with a dieing hen...."

Didn't get pulled over, but I was trying to come up with an excuse should it have happened.

RIP little Hetta. :angel: It is only right that she return home. Now God has another one to add to his flock.

"Sorry Officer. I am trying to get my poor very sick pet chicken to the vets." :angel:

Some officers would understand a pet chicken, others would not. Lucky you didn't have to find out.

Of course, I still have my Pet Rock...

Today was one of those sunny/cloudy days. I let the Girls out and the Saint Bernard (he's very good with the chickens--he's their guard dog). If I could figure out how to download the picture, I got a picture of him lieing on the ground surrounded by about 18 of the Girls. Some of them even hopped over him. It isn't a great picture--I couldn't go off the deck to get closer--I knew he'd get up and spoil the picture. In the sunlight, they all looked so nice--and it was such a nice image of my chicken-friendly dog taking care of the Girls.

Myrtle is concerned--she knows winter is coming. She has been coming to the patio door and asking to come in lately.

Last edited:
Of course if your puppy ever got fleas, you know the girls would be grooming him. Just another source of food.

The Animal Planet often has a show called unusual friends. This sounds like a perfect pair for it. At least you know he is no "chicken dog!"

You should listen to Mrytle. She knows what the weather is going to be before humans do. And that includes the Big Chicken. :angel:

Scene: Big Chicken goes out to chicken coop to let Myrtle and the others out dressed in her lavender terrycloth bathrobe.

Door opens...Myrtle leads the way.

Big Chicken: "Myrtle! What happened? You're naked!"

Myrtle: "I'm not NAKED! I am MOLTING!"

Snicker-snicker in the background (the youngsters).

Myrtle: "Snicker all you want, but next year you'll lose your feathers, too."

Big Chicken: "Myrtle, I think you need to come and spend time in the house."

Myrtle: "Can I watch TV with you?"

Big Chicken: "Of course, but no CHOPPED or Hell's Kitchen. I don't want you keeping me awake because you're having nightmares."

Myrtle: "Deal if you make me cheese-coated popcorn."

Big Chicken: "Oh, Myrtle, of course I will."

Myrtle: "Coo-coo...I have you so well trained."

Scene fades to black as the sun sets...Myrtle is on the arm of the sofa being fed cheese-coated popcorn while watching The Good Wife...

Mrytle certainly does have the Big Chicken trained. She is one smart chicken. I bet when the deep freeze weather comes, you will find Mrytle in the Big House everyday getting real plump on cheese-coated popcorn. She is such a charmer. :angel:

quote "anything you can put on the outside you can put on the inside"

I'm afraid that's decidedly not true. How would you fill ravioli with ragù for example - or sugo di pomodoro. Ravioli must be filled with something thicker, that will not disintegrate, and the sauce always on the outside!

Cheers

di reston

"Enough is never as good as a feast" Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom