"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #551
Chef Extraordinaire

We're on day 10. Henny has not laid an egg (I suspect she's holding off so she can stay in the house and watch the season finale of DA tomorrow night). I can picture her bringing the rest of the flock up to speed on the upstairs-downstairs stories about DA. Anyway, she seems to have recovered and she wanted to share this with all her DC fans. She's the one in the middle:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blaine_vd.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	17136  

Old 02-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #552
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
We're on day 10. Henny has not laid an egg (I suspect she's holding off so she can stay in the house and watch the season finale of DA tomorrow night). I can picture her bringing the rest of the flock up to speed on the upstairs-downstairs stories about DA. Anyway, she seems to have recovered and she wanted to share this with all her DC fans. She's the one in the middle:
She looks so beautiful. Her feathers are so fluffy. She will strutting her stuff when she goes back with the other girls. Give her my love.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #553
Chef Extraordinaire

Henny is back out with the flock and has reclaimed her position as one of the top hens. I never realized how much smaller she is than the other girls....

And, there's PEEPING. Miss Broody 2 has been sitting on a clutch of eggs for three weeks (Miss Broody 2 and the nest box are in the workshop where there is heat). The chicks are trying to get out of their shells...peeping can be heard! She's been sitting on 18 eggs. I don't need more hens, but it is so much fun having chicks! Stay tuned...they should be coming out of their shells soon!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #554
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Henny is back out with the flock and has reclaimed her position as one of the top hens. I never realized how much smaller she is than the other girls....

And, there's PEEPING. Miss Broody 2 has been sitting on a clutch of eggs for three weeks (Miss Broody 2 and the nest box are in the workshop where there is heat). The chicks are trying to get out of their shells...peeping can be heard! She's been sitting on 18 eggs. I don't need more hens, but it is so much fun having chicks! Stay tuned...they should be coming out of their shells soon!
Glad to hear the girls are do so well. How is little Peg Leg doing?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #555
Head Chef

At the Tractor Supply store the other day there were chicks and ducklings. Such peeping! It was as hard to get out of the store without buying one as it is to pass up a Krispy Kreme shop with the "hot donuts" sign flashing.

CWS, is it ever a good idea to have just one hen? I have a place to keep one, but with 2 cats and a dog already, and at my age, it seems like just one more complication to a life that aims for serenity and is not always successful.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #556
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
At the Tractor Supply store the other day there were chicks and ducklings. Such peeping! It was as hard to get out of the store without buying one as it is to pass up a Krispy Kreme shop with the "hot donuts" sign flashing.

CWS, is it ever a good idea to have just one hen? I have a place to keep one, but with 2 cats and a dog already, and at my age, it seems like just one more complication to a life that aims for serenity and is not always successful.
Laying hens are like potato chips...really hard to stop with just one. My dogs are chicken friendly (and, my girls are dog friendly) and cats don't usually cause a problem. Adult chickens are too big for cats to attack. The biggest problem I have is that one of the dogs has developed a taste for layer mash. He is the "guard" dog to protect the girls, but he does like their layer mash. Chickens are easy to keep. I'd probably go with 3.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #557
Head Chef

My thanks, Master Chef/Hen Pro. My two cats are indoors always; the dog is getting so feeble she'd never catch a chicken. I'm thinking a full-size layer would be simplest. So you feed them mash as well as their free-ranging ways, eh? So then they need a source of drinking water, too. I'm thinking. I'm thinking. The worst part would be cleaning out the shed/would-be hen house. Oh, me. What do I do with all that stuff?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #558
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
My thanks, Master Chef/Hen Pro. My two cats are indoors always; the dog is getting so feeble she'd never catch a chicken. I'm thinking a full-size layer would be simplest. So you feed them mash as well as their free-ranging ways, eh? So then they need a source of drinking water, too. I'm thinking. I'm thinking. The worst part would be cleaning out the shed/would-be hen house. Oh, me. What do I do with all that stuff?

If you come home with a chicken under your arm, I'm afraid your children will sit you down for THE TALK!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #559
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If you come home with a chicken under your arm, I'm afraid your children will sit you down for THE TALK!
mwahaha
Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #560
Head Chef

Note to self: Get real, Tinlizzie. Getting another "pet" just may belong in the same department as thinking another baby is a good idea - while observing a sleeping toddler. That carton of eggs in the fridge is soooo easy to come by.

Tags
chicken