Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would thicken the filling so that I could "spoon" it. The Girls, on the other hand, like pasta anyway they can get it and will eat whatever filling that is available!

Who bumped this thread?
I don't know, but I'll eat the filling!
I'll eat the pasta!
Whoa! Where'd this trout skin come from? MINE, all MINE!

Peep! Peep! Peep! Alma hatched 10 chicks! Peep! Peep! Peep! Love having baby chicks!

Congratulations to The Proud Big Chicken in The Big House. Is she a good momma and looking after her babies? More little feet to turn the soil in the garden. Just in time to be big and strong for the winter weather. And old enough next spring to start laying eggs. :angel:

The chicken thread definitely needs revived!! I have chickens now too and I always think of this :D One of ours passed the other day :( I'm not sure what happened but she just sat down and wouldn't get up. They have all quit laying eggs too and last year they never stopped, even through winter. :huh:

Merlot, Sorry you lost one of your ladies. On the bright side, it is good to read you have chickens too. Hope the others are all doing well even if they take a break from laying eggs.

Merlot, I hope you have read the whole thread. CWS started out with a handful of baby chicks and named them all. All the forum members followed the progress as the chicks became all grown up and started to have babies of their own. Now there are just too many chickens in her flock to give all of them a name. But she does keep us up to date every so often. CWS and her husband are farmers and every year she lets the chickens loose so they can dig up the soil and get it ready for planting.

I agree, lot of fun following the antics of her flock. :angel:

What a fun thread! I spent several years on an organic apple farm, and when the farmer heard that I grew up with chickens, told me about the idea he'd had to use chickens to keep bugs down. We bought an old hen-house, put it on skids, and towed it several miles home with a tractor, built a fence around the orchard, and ordered some day-old peepers. (The cats were utterly fascinated by the box that arrived.) I'd had a bit of fun mixing and matching, so there was a Rhode Island Red rooster (yes, my very own "little red rooster"), Cochin, Orphington, Leghorn and so on, and the eggs were pastel colours.

The farmer would smile whenever he walked past and saw the chickens busily pecking away under the trees. To handle the local fox, I added one goose, but he got far too good at handling me. (By the way, do you know where the expression "loose as a goose" comes from? Have you ever seen a goose ... ahem ... defecate?)

Come apple-harvest time, we headed out to the orchard with gunny sacks. We found apple trees full of apple-fed chickens. (Who knew chickens could fly? We'd obviously forgotten.) We spent that winter eating apple-fed chicken, yum.

The girls are spending the summer at the farm while I am in MN. There are 7 new chicks running around out there. I miss them so much, wish I could've brought them to MN. I get reports twice a week, They have re-discovered the canoe that hangs from the ceiling, the loft, and the two tractors.

The girls are spending the summer at the farm while I am in MN. There are 7 new chicks running around out there. I miss them so much, wish I could've brought them to MN. I get reports twice a week, They have re-discovered the canoe that hangs from the ceiling, the loft, and the two tractors.

Are any of the original chicks/hens still with us? :angel:

Always thought what it was like to work where there are farm animals and chickens and hens. Certainly got a glimpse of them from a person with a sense of humor. Thanks! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom