"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Not to mention that they probably would like "hoods" on their attire!

Don't laugh--a friend installed an automatic door so the chickens can go in and out. I'm getting the sense Chicken keepers can be as crazy as dog people...having been a dog person for years, it is small wonder I'd progress to a Chicken keeper at my age...
Why not? Have fun, life's short.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
OMG, you people are insane (in a good way).
My kind of folk!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
If I can find my knitting needles, I think Harriet and Myrtle might go outside in the snow if they had the proper attire:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...49627519583&ty
It's nice to know that you are not alone in this world of yours. Can I join you?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

As a child on the farm, one of my chores was to feed the chickens. I got the bright idea one fine boring day, to take elastics, cut them into pieces, and poke them in the ground with an end sticking out. I must have done a great job because some of them snapped back at the chickens as they were pulling on them. Soon after a lot of the eggs were not fit for the stand we had by the roadside. When questioned, thinking I had done a clever thing, I owned up. But not before I had a hole in the side of my leg when one of the chickens had caught on and came at me. I still bear the scar today. Needles to say, I was taken off chicken duty and punished severely. I had to feed the pigs. A job I hated.

For a long time I failed to understand what the problem was. After all, when a chicken started to cut back on her production of eggs, she was headed for the freezer and would be replaced by a whole new clutch in the spring. We had Rhode Island Reds. One year a Plymouth Rock came in the new clutch. She turned out to be a big producer of double yolkers. We got them for breakfast.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I'm getting the sense Chicken keepers can be as crazy as dog people...
Nuh uh. Chicken keepers are MUCH crazier than dog people. This is common knowlege. Just ask my dog.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Nuh uh. Chicken keepers are MUCH crazier than dog people. This is common knowlege. Just ask my dog.
It might just be a tie. My son is on the lookout for a smoking jacket for his small Maltese and a pipe. And if he were a chicken person, those diapers would have already been bought. There are moments when I tell folks he is adopted.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was taken off chicken duty and punished severely. I had to feed the pigs. A job I hated.
I'm with you there, Addie! Feeding the hogs scared me badly! I had many nightmares about those hogs rushing me and getting me down on the ground among them. I was terrified of them. I saw them eat too many things and realized that a skinny little boy's arms and legs would be no problem to them.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I'm with you there, Addie! Feeding the hogs scared me badly! I had many nightmares about those hogs rushing me and getting me down on the ground among them. I was terrified of them. I saw them eat too many things and realized that a skinny little boy's arms and legs would be no problem to them.
They will eat ANYTHING you throw in their trough. If you ever want to commit miurder, do it at night and toss the body in their pen. It will be gone by morning. Bones and all.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
They will eat ANYTHING you throw in their trough. If you ever want to commit miurder, do it at night and toss the body in their pen. It will be gone by morning. Bones and all.
Now you're just scaring me!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Now you're just scaring me!
They have quite a mouthful of teeth. The bottom front teeth grow out straight forward. And you don't want to keep a boar. Their tusks can grow really fast. In the wild, they use those front teeth to dig for roots and other foods.

Tags
chicken