"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-31-2014, 02:48 AM   #681
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That is the general rule, but these two were "hatch mates" so they are okay together. Stripey is definitely not the boss of the barnyard, but he does have a couple of hens that are his "girls." There were seven more eggs that Eggatha was still waiting on. I isolated her and the babies using a barrier. They had already gone through 1-qt jar of chick starter food when I went to lock everyone up last night. I have these feeders that are inverted quart jars attached to a little feeder thingy. I brought out a 2nd full jar when I locked them up and will fill both up again when I let the adults out in the morning. Chicks eat a LOT. Once I know she's "done" trying to hatch more eggs, I will move momma and the chicks to a brooder so they are isolated. Thankfully at this time of year, momma will provide heat and I don't have to string up lamps.

Addie--you would have loved to have seen the two "eyes" peeking out from momma's feathers at me. Two separate chicks, both checking out the "Big Chicken" when she brought food and water.

These babies will not be raised anything like those that are raised in battery farms. Their momma will be with them until they are able to join the others in the yard. She will teach them how to peck and scratch, how to perch, how to dirt bath, how to hide from threats in the yard, and how to go back in at sundown. She will be followed by these chicks for a good 4-5 months before they declare their independence. The babies will form their own little "mini" flock within the flock.
I think one of the reason I love the Chicken Chronicles so much is that you are raising your babies as nature intended. Momma is the incubator. Not a large tray on a shelf.

Not counting the new babies, how many chickens in the whole flock now. I remember when you had just a handful.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:53 AM   #682
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I thought you had to do it within the first few days. I Googled, one place recommended 3-6 months old. I think I was confusing it with something I heard in a documentary. I heard that you can sex chicks when they are a few hours old, but it gets harder after that.
Well...if you are trained at sexing chicks, you might be able to do that. We're not trained and our research told us to just wait and see. You can tell by when they start getting their wing feathers, or wait until they are three-four weeks old. The males' necks are longer and their heads are a different shape. If anyone has a sure-fire way of sexing day-olds that doesn't involve a duct exam, I'd love to know!

Old 05-31-2014, 03:00 AM   #683
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Well...if you are trained at sexing chicks, you might be able to do that. We're not trained and our research told us to just wait and see. You can tell by when they start getting their wing feathers, or wait until they are three-four weeks old. The males' necks are longer and their heads are a different shape. If anyone has a sure-fire way of sexing day-olds that doesn't involve a duct exam, I'd love to know!
We would just wait to see how their combs grew. That and their tail feathers. Once their peeps start changing, you will know if you have a rooster at four in the morning.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:00 AM   #684
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think one of the reason I love the Chicken Chronicles so much is that you are raising your babies as nature intended. Momma is the incubator. Not a large tray on a shelf.

Not counting the new babies, how many chickens in the whole flock now. I remember when you had just a handful.
Momma is the best incubator. And a lot easier than a tray on a shelf. Broody hens flip those eggs 30x/day for something like 16/17 days. And, about 24 hours before those eggs hatch (Momma knows, she can hear the peeping), she starts to make a "purring" noise to help guide them out of the shells. I don't think a mechanical incubator does that. My hatch rate has been 100% in the past, we'll see what it is this year.

There are 19 in the flock without the babies. It was a very hard winter and I had a number of 3-5 year old hens that did not survive the winter. I still have a couple in the freezer yet to bury. We now have a "hen" graveyard.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #685
Chef Extraordinaire

Grabbed one of the two "grey and whites" (thinking Jezzabelle's babies) to capture a photo. I will try and get photos of all tomorrow (and count them!). It isn't easy photographing 3-day old chicks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3_day_old 003.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	21389  
Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #686
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Peep, Peep, Peep!! So cute!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #687
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Peep, Peep, Peep!! So cute!
It wasn't the best pose--but regardless of the photographer's lack of talent, the chick is still CUTE!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #688
Executive Chef

He/she is cute, but doesn't look too happy about the photo shoot! I don't believe it was saying "I'm ready for my close up Mr. DeMile! ;) lol!!
Old 06-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #689
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, the cutie doesn't look very happy :-)
Old 06-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #690
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yeah, the cutie doesn't look very happy :-)
Jezzabelle is my hen with attitude...let me check on how personality is inherited in chickens...might have another "Jezzabelle" on my hands...

Tags
chicken