"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #731
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
A driver with a death wish or a desire to see the inside of a police station.
I thought the chicken was doing a fine job!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #732
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Old 08-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #733
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Road trip!

Car Animated GIF
Aunt Bea, don't be giving Myrtle any ideas. I'm not going to show her that video. I was thinking of rigging up a "basket" on the passenger seat so she could sit in that and see out instead of on the dashboard.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #734
Chef Extraordinaire

Little did I know when I started this thread it go on for 37 pages (more still to come)!.

Update on Miss Betty White and baby. There will be no more chicks. The mother hen communicates with the embryo while it is in the egg. Well, she knew the other egg was not going to hatch. She exploded it. Oh my goodness, the smell of rotten egg! Ugh. Once exploded, she started to eat, and eat, and eat and drink, and drink, and drink. Baby has learned to do both. So far, Miss Betty White is showing the signs of being a natural momma hen. The baby is so cute. I must take some pics for you guys.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #735
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Little did I know when I started this thread it go on for 37 pages (more still to come)!.

Update on Miss Betty White and baby. There will be no more chicks. The mother hen communicates with the embryo while it is in the egg. Well, she knew the other egg was not going to hatch. She exploded it. Oh my goodness, the smell of rotten egg! Ugh. Once exploded, she started to eat, and eat, and eat and drink, and drink, and drink. Baby has learned to do both. So far, Miss Betty White is showing the signs of being a natural momma hen. The baby is so cute. I must take some pics for you guys.
PS--for those who don't want to start to read at the beginning of this thread, I got laying hens because eggs are one of my favourite sources of protein and I was appalled by the conditions in which laying hens were kept. I had the "opportunity" to tour a battery farm when I was doing Saint Bernard rescue (no, the people did not get one of our dogs--I actually brought my Saint, not the one up for adoption, just so I could get inside the battery farm). After that visit, I couldn't bring myself to support the battery chicken farm industry. I like that my hens get to go outside, chase bugs, take dirt baths, forage, have names, and that Myrtle is so gregarious. I like that they names and that they know their names. They have a good life. They die natural deaths and I bury them. I don't eat them. I can't raise cattle, sheep, or pigs, but at least I can control the environment from which I get my eggs. My hens are an important part of my life. They've helped me have a purpose--a good thing to have when you suffer from chronic depression. For those who think this thread is silly, I challenge you to get some laying hens.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #736
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Aunt Bea, don't be giving Myrtle any ideas. I'm not going to show her that video. I was thinking of rigging up a "basket" on the passenger seat so she could sit in that and see out instead of on the dashboard.
Don't worry!

Myrtle can't get a license until she is 16.

Maybe she would be content with a few quick spins around the farm until she is old enough to hit the open road.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #737
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Don't worry!

Myrtle can't get a license until she is 16.

Maybe she would be content with a few quick spins around the farm until she is old enough to hit the open road.

She can get her learner's permit at 14, but CWS will still need to be in the car with her.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #738
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
She's in Ontario. She can get a learner's permit at age 16. If it is like in Quebec, she can only get a full driver's license at age 18 or with a parent's signature.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #739
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Chicken Chronicles

Ah. So no worries for a few years. Myrtle's only about 3 now. And I suspect her biological parents are long gone.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #740
Chef Extraordinaire

In answer to CWS's PS post, I would suggest that our new members take an afternoon and sit down starting with page one of the Chicken Chronicles. This has to be my favorite thread of this whole forum. When one got sick, we all waited to hear if that chick would be all right. How many times we waited to hear about the baby chick who came out of the shell with a bent leg. Would it straighten out on its own? Read the whole thread to find out. And what about Rocky the Riled Rooster? Would he ever let CWS go near one of HIS girls? So many adventures. So many mysteries. Which chicken kept trying to fly the coop?

Tags
chicken