Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How cute! They look so happy!
Thanks--they are the happiest chickens on the block (I think--:yum:). They are so happy to see grass again and go outside (not that they couldn't go out during the winter--they just didn't like getting their feet cold.) I was jealous that I had to be inside working while they were out gardening. I have them working on clearing the weeds along the fence line--they don't get fed inside when the weather is nice, they have to work for their fed. They are doing a nice job on clearing the thatch.

CWS4322 said:
Thanks--they are the happiest chickens on the block (I think--:yum:). They are so happy to see grass again and go outside (not that they couldn't go out during the winter--they just didn't like getting their feet cold.) I was jealous that I had to be inside working while they were out gardening. I have them working on clearing the weeds along the fence line--they don't get fed inside when the weather is nice, they have to work for their fed. They are doing a nice job on clearing the thatch.

How are they with chickweed? We have a bumper crop this year.

CWS4322 said:
I don't know about chickweed, but they are doing a great job on getting rid of the stinging nettles (itch weed). They love it.

We may need a chicken exchange program. We have plenty of nettles here too.

The weather has been unseasonably warm this week. The girls and Cocky Rocky have been racing for the door every morning. Today they got a special treat--the rototiller came out for a bit. They were racing behind it to snatch the worms that were turned up.

Are you sure those worms weren't elastics? :rolleyes:

The neighbors across the street got a rooster. Seems he was killing the hens at his former home. They are calling him a rescue rooster. They are planning on getting hens too. I'm not sure how they will keep the rooster from killing their hens, but they say they are not worried. Maybe they are secretly rooster whisperers. ;) it is kind of fun having a rooster so close crowing away!

The neighbors across the street got a rooster. Seems he was killing the hens at his former home. They are calling him a rescue rooster. They are planning on getting hens too. I'm not sure how they will keep the rooster from killing their hens, but they say they are not worried. Maybe they are secretly rooster whisperers. ;) it is kind of fun having a rooster so close crowing away!

Offer him a home for a Sunday. Then get that pot ready. :ohmy:

I've never heard of roosters killing their hens...Cocky Rocky did attack me yesterday--the trick is to get down to his level. I guess being a "Big Chicken" threatens him. I was wearing a cotton sundress--he seems to have an issue when I change my silhouette.

I've never heard of roosters killing their hens...Cocky Rocky did attack me yesterday--the trick is to get down to his level. I guess being a "Big Chicken" threatens him. I was wearing a cotton sundress--he seems to have an issue when I change my silhouette.

Those spurs on the back of their legs can do some harm. As kids, we had to wear those overall pants when we fed the chickens. :)

Thanks for the enjoyable series ... Why not a book for children ?

Since I am extraordinairely Urban Urban as in City Centre for professional reasons and Adriatic Seaside, for our sanity --- it is sometimes, a nice way to escape the " ur ba nis mo " a bit ...

Margi.

When I had hens, one of my favorite things was working nearby while they were examining their patch of yard for edibles. They made a little semi-crooning, musing kinds of sounds as they scratched; they seemed to be discussing their finding of something tasty or that they were not finding anything here. I always found it very soothing to listen while they chatted among themselves.

Thank you for the great photos.

When I had hens, one of my favorite things was working nearby while they were examining their patch of yard for edibles. They made a little semi-crooning, musing kinds of sounds as they scratched; they seemed to be discussing their finding of something tasty or that they were not finding anything here. I always found it very soothing to listen while they chatted among themselves.

Thank you for the great photos.

I can do an excellent rendition of a chicken cooing or getting excited when the fox gets in the henhouse. Learned it as a kid. That's how I got to put the elastics in the ground for them. :ohmy:

The storis could be an excellnt tool to teach kids where some of our food comes from.
My eggs come from chickens--not those mini-milk carton eggs. Right now, they are wondering why I am not bringing treats out with the laundry that is on the line. And, they do "coo" (purr).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom