Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS4322 said:
Oh, they work for stale bread and their eggshells. They are not hard to please...I hope they like purple...

I love purple! So is the chicken door installed yet?

Imagine waking up to a freshly laid egg on your pillow....

Hmm. How can they lay eggs on your pillow if they're wearing diapers?

Last edited:
I love purple! So is the chicken door installed yet?

Imagine waking up to a freshly laid egg on your pillow....

Hmm. How can they lay eggs on your pillow if they're wearing diapers?
Dawglover, are you egging me on? :blink:I hadn't thought of that...but the DH did (the egg in the "poo pouch"). He's nixed the diaper project--but, he's only here on weekends, so I'm sure I can break away from work and DC for a few hours when he's not here to whip up some diappies for the girls. I did counter him with the idea that if I made them out of polar fleece, the girls might stay warmer in the winter...except, they probably would appreciate booties too...

Have you ever seen those dogs (and cats) try to walk wearing booties? Gonna start a new chicken dance.:LOL:

Dawglover, are you egging me on? :blink:I hadn't thought of that...but the DH did (the egg in the "poo pouch"). He's nixed the diaper project--but, he's only here on weekends, so I'm sure I can break away from work and DC for a few hours when he's not here to whip up some diappies for the girls. I did counter him with the idea that if I made them out of polar fleece, the girls might stay warmer in the winter...except, they probably would appreciate booties too...

It's said that a large amount of the body's heat is expelled through the scalp. When Dinky, my cat sleeps with me, he loves to lay right on top of my head on the pillow. It makes me sweat like crazy and I always move him off. Kind of like wearing a heated fur hat while sleeping.

Your ladies might lay that egg right on top of your head!

I can just see you knitting in some chicken panties too!:ROFLMAO:
Not to mention that they probably would like "hoods" on their attire!

Don't laugh--a friend installed an automatic door so the chickens can go in and out. I'm getting the sense Chicken keepers can be as crazy as dog people...having been a dog person for years, it is small wonder I'd progress to a Chicken keeper at my age...

Last edited:
Not to mention that they probably would like "hoods" on their attire!

Don't laugh--a friend installed an automatic door so the chickens can go in and out. I'm getting the sense Chicken keepers can be as crazy as dog people...having been a dog person for years, it is small wonder I'd progress to a Chicken keeper at my age...

Why not? Have fun, life's short.

As a child on the farm, one of my chores was to feed the chickens. I got the bright idea one fine boring day, to take elastics, cut them into pieces, and poke them in the ground with an end sticking out. I must have done a great job because some of them snapped back at the chickens as they were pulling on them. Soon after a lot of the eggs were not fit for the stand we had by the roadside. When questioned, thinking I had done a clever thing, I owned up. But not before I had a hole in the side of my leg when one of the chickens had caught on and came at me. I still bear the scar today. Needles to say, I was taken off chicken duty and punished severely. I had to feed the pigs. A job I hated.

For a long time I failed to understand what the problem was. After all, when a chicken started to cut back on her production of eggs, she was headed for the freezer and would be replaced by a whole new clutch in the spring. We had Rhode Island Reds. One year a Plymouth Rock came in the new clutch. She turned out to be a big producer of double yolkers. We got them for breakfast.

CWS4322 said:
I'm getting the sense Chicken keepers can be as crazy as dog people...

Nuh uh. Chicken keepers are MUCH crazier than dog people. This is common knowlege. Just ask my dog.

Nuh uh. Chicken keepers are MUCH crazier than dog people. This is common knowlege. Just ask my dog.

It might just be a tie. My son is on the lookout for a smoking jacket for his small Maltese and a pipe. And if he were a chicken person, those diapers would have already been bought. There are moments when I tell folks he is adopted. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was taken off chicken duty and punished severely. I had to feed the pigs. A job I hated.

I'm with you there, Addie! Feeding the hogs scared me badly! I had many nightmares about those hogs rushing me and getting me down on the ground among them. I was terrified of them. I saw them eat too many things and realized that a skinny little boy's arms and legs would be no problem to them.

I'm with you there, Addie! Feeding the hogs scared me badly! I had many nightmares about those hogs rushing me and getting me down on the ground among them. I was terrified of them. I saw them eat too many things and realized that a skinny little boy's arms and legs would be no problem to them.

They will eat ANYTHING you throw in their trough. If you ever want to commit miurder, do it at night and toss the body in their pen. It will be gone by morning. Bones and all. :pig:

Now you're just scaring me!:ohmy::ermm::rolleyes:

They have quite a mouthful of teeth. The bottom front teeth grow out straight forward. And you don't want to keep a boar. Their tusks can grow really fast. In the wild, they use those front teeth to dig for roots and other foods. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom