Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that the weather is nice, the canoe really STINKS! And, there is chicken poo on top of one of the tractors...you would have liked seeing Henny and Penny trying to drive the truck yesterday!

LOL! I don't think children's stories mention poo that often!:LOL:

I bet they just give you lots of laughs!

I glanced up from my desk a few minutes ago, and 7 of the girls and Rocky where gathered around the "sump pump" watering hole drinking. It would've made a great picture except for the bird "poo" on the window (outside, PF, not inside) and the fact that the batteries in my camera are dead. Now they are checking out grape vines (which have no leaves--yet, but maybe they are finding some dried up grapes)...It is fun having them back outside and wandering around the yard during the day.

I glanced up from my desk a few minutes ago, and 7 of the girls and Rocky where gathered around the "sump pump" watering hole drinking. It would've made a great picture except for the bird "poo" on the window (outside, PF, not inside) and the fact that the batteries in my camera are dead. Now they are checking out grape vines (which have no leaves--yet, but maybe they are finding some dried up grapes)...It is fun having them back outside and wandering around the yard during the day.

Today, today...the girls go out to play!:)

The BRATS have destroyed the garden--we rototilled on the weekend, put in some peas, kale, carrots, beets, swiss chard seeds (and onion sets). The BRATS destroyed everything. They are so not welcome in the garden...chicken wire is going up around the gardens tomorrow. And, I've taken back custody of the house that was rented in the city, so the girls and Rocky are moving to the "city" soon (rural, okay to have livestock, zoned agricultural 2). The garden there is in front of the fence (okay, so maybe that is not great curb appeal). BRATS, BRATS, BRATS. But, I did find the missing "dress"--it was in the coop....didn't even know they checked that out during the winter. BRATS.

Oh no! Those little stinkers! Hope you can replant, CW! What a lot of work....

Hoping the piemaker won't be used for capitol punishment....

Last edited:
The BRATS have destroyed the garden--we rototilled on the weekend, put in some peas, kale, carrots, beets, swiss chard seeds (and onion sets). The BRATS destroyed everything. They are so not welcome in the garden...chicken wire is going up around the gardens tomorrow. And, I've taken back custody of the house that was rented in the city, so the girls and Rocky are moving to the "city" soon (rural, okay to have livestock, zoned agricultural 2). The garden there is in front of the fence (okay, so maybe that is not great curb appeal). BRATS, BRATS, BRATS. But, I did find the missing "dress"--it was in the coop....didn't even know they checked that out during the winter. BRATS.

I bet they thought they were helping...

Fortunately, it was only seeds and seeds can be replaced easily enough. They didn't dig up the potatoes. But, they did flatten the rows. Might turn the 7 rows again...wait until they see their new digs!

I just love the "Chicken Chronicles." The first time I became aware of this thread was when you were making clothes for them to keep them warm in the winter. I was laughing so hard I had to go back to page one and read the whole thread.

Having worked with 4-H kids, I know it can be dangerous to name farm animals. But not in this case. Giving the girls names makes them more lovable. Thanks for adding humor to my life. Everyone needs a good laugh every so often. :ROFLMAO:

Okay, this might be TMI--we kind of thought when we got chickens they "might" keep the garter snake population down...the well at the farm is a shallow well so snakes like it. We don't like the snakes. Unfortunately, the chickens haven't quite caught on to how to catch snakes...and, dare I say, they claim that snakes taste like chicken. Yesterday was devoted to teaching the chickens about snakes...(and no, the chickens are NOT spoiled--just because I grind their veggies, make them clothes, bring Harriet/Myrtle in the house when there are chickens on TV, and the other Big Chicken butchers snake for them, does NOT mean they are spoiled...tomorrow Myrtle and Harriet are taking a road trip to do some clean up at the other house around the flower beds, but they are NOT spoiled)....(which reminds me, I think the cornbread I made for them is cool enough to run through the food processor with the broccoli and carrots...).

Attachments

• training to eat snakes 001.jpg
    training to eat snakes 001.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 147
If I could play the "chicken polka" that plays when I open my b'day card, I'd play that for all of you...dah-dah-dah...dddd. Love it!

It was an "April snow storm" day here today. The girls and Rocky decided the barn was where they wanted to spend the day...or so I thought until about 4:00 p.m. I looked out the window (where my computer is) and about 10-15 ft. from the end of the driveway (which is 250 ft. long), what do I see? A lone little red hen. I don't like the chickens going down the driveway, so I grabbed some ground veggies and ventured out. In my best "chicken calling voice" I said "hiiiii--what are you doing out there? I have treats!" The little red hen looked at me, did an aboutface, and crossed the road. I went out to the barn to count--all my girls and Rocky were accounted for in the barn. For this, they got the treats. The question is whether my neighbour's rooster sent the little red hen as a spy to see if he could get some of our chickens to defect or was this little red hen looking for refugee status?

Back
Top Bottom