Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The chickens come knocking at the door...I am back at the farm for 8 days with four dogs and SEVEN chickens. A friend of mine told me that the others might kill any chicks, so I had decided to load Miss Broodie up and take her to the farm with me. But then, I decided that maybe Myrtle, Harriet, Elsie, Gertrude, Eggatha, and Scarlet might like to go to the farm for a holiday away from Rocky (I know I'm enjoying it). It was hot, hot, hot on Monday (and humid). I didn't feel like chasing chickens around, so I brought the Vari200 in the house and waited. I figured Gertie or Elsie would lead the others to the patio door at some point looking for cheese. Gertie was the first to show up, so she got a ticket to the farm. It wasn't long before the others followed. The crate was a bit crowded, but they didn't seem to mind traveling steerage. Once at the farm, they ran around checking out everything. At night, they roosted in their old spots. Yesterday morning as I was getting ready to drive the DH to the airport, I heard a "scratching" on the door. Yup--Myrtle was demanding to come in for cheese. I think I might be a chicken enabler...besides maybe babying them a bit...When I stopped at the house in the City, Penny "scratched" on the patio door to come in...I see that I might have started something with letting them in to have a bit of cheese...they love cheese....

Now you have to give it to them when they ask so politely. :LOL::LOL:

Are you going to be like my father and take pictures of every critter born? When I was a kid my dad got us out of bed to watch every litter of baby pigs being born. I think he had more baby pig pictures than pictures of his kids. LOL.

Are you going to be like my father and take pictures of every critter born? When I was a kid my dad got us out of bed to watch every litter of baby pigs being born. I think he had more baby pig pictures than pictures of his kids. LOL.
Since I don't have kids, I have to take pictures of something! :LOL:

PF--I thought you'd come up with a "knock-knock" joke.

Myrtle: Do you think she's in there?
Eggatha: Scratch on the door!
Harriet: I don't know!
Eggatha: Scratch!
Myrtle: Will she have cheese?
Eggatha: Scratch, now!! <hopping back and forth>
Harriet: We won't know til she comes out...
Eggatha: Scratch! Scratch!!
Myrtle: I don't want to wake her up...
Eggatha: <doing pirouettes> Scratch the DOOR!
Harriet: I thought I saw her go by the window.
Penny: Oh, get out of the way you silly biddies <scratch, scratch>
Chorus: She has CHEESE!!!!!

Myrtle: Do you think she's in there?
Eggatha: Scratch on the door!
Harriet: I don't know!
Eggatha: Scratch!
Myrtle: Will she have cheese?
Eggatha: Scratch, now!! <hopping back and forth>
Harriet: We won't know til she comes out...
Eggatha: Scratch! Scratch!!
Myrtle: I don't want to wake her up...
Eggatha: <doing pirouettes> Scratch the DOOR!
Harriet: I thought I saw her go by the window.
Penny: Oh, get out of the way you silly biddies <scratch, scratch>
Chorus: She has CHEESE!!!!!
:LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Not yet--at least not this a.m. I checked at at 6:00 a.m. Just got back from serving as a volunteer at an all-day charity event since I'm a board member for that charity...I'm beat! I have a bit of time before dusk settles and I have to go out and lock up the chickens...probably just enough time to watch a segment of a cooking show and have a glass of red.

Last edited:
Peep-peep! There are two baby chicks (so far--it was almost dark when I went to make sure Miss Broodie and her eggs were locked down--I left them locked down this a.m.). One is "dark" like Rocky--oh-oh, the other is a little blonde chick. I put them back in the nest box with Miss Broodie and will be up early in the a.m. to take pics! Peep-peep--we have baby chicks!

Probably...on the geek side...I even have a Soft Kitty hoodie, complete with tail and ears.
Definitely on the geek side. I don't have a Soft Kitty hoodie...on my wish list! I am waiting for it to be light enough to go out and take pictures! Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN!!!

Congrats on the peeps! It would be nice, while you're taking the time for photos, to see some "mug shots" of the hens, so we can put a little feathery face to the name.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom