Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many of the little cuties are there now?
Now there are six. One just came out of its shell, so maybe I shouldn't count it yet. (4 "blondies" and 2 "darkies"). There is probably one purebred Plymouth Rock--it has the same feet (they have markings on their feet), and it is black and white. The other "dark" one has reddish-brown fluff, so guessing it is a PRxRhode Island Red and not PRxPR or PRxBuffOrpington. It is amazing what they can do at 1-day old. They hop, they eat, drink, try to catch bugs, explore.

Those great pictures -- I think I'm in love! :wub::wub:

And the little dark balls of fluff --I thought baby chicks were always yellow -- another "duh" in my long list of shoulda knowns and yet another reason to follow the fun and educational Chicken Chronicles.

In my dull, dull life I live vicariously through Chicken Chronicles. Thanks for puttiing joy in my life. Those are great pictures. Happy Father's Day DH. What a gift!!!:flowers::king::clap::clap:

That's okay, LP, you can catch up with the girls and my life as a chicken keeper. Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN! (And Addie, thank you, I'm glad you enjoy my chicken stories!).

That's okay, LP, you can catch up with the girls and my life as a chicken keeper. Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN! (And Addie, thank you, I'm glad you enjoy my chicken stories!).

Six chickies!!!:bounce: I can't see over the fence!!!

There's not much to see right now, PF, they are all tucked in for the night safe and sound under their momma. :)

I think I have IMSCD...I Must See Chickies Disorder...oh well, my legs were getting tired anyway.

Harriet: Have you seen them?

Agatha: Nope, she's hiding them good.

Penny: Me either, we're going to have to do an intervention.

Attachments

• chicken-butts.jpg
    chicken-butts.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 128
To update everyone--there are now SEVEN little chickies. Two are in the house under a lightbulb. They are younger than the other 5 and were not yet up on their feet, and one was a bit cold, so I brought them in about an hour ago. I hear peeping! They are also both up toddering around the box...if I didn't know better, I'd think they'd had a nip or two of moonshine. I'll keep them in today, put them back out with momma this evening. I thought one was dead/dieing...but it's up and peeping away, we shall see. The smaller one wasn't there yesterday--it is hard to take a pic of chicks in a box with a light on them.

Attachments

• Day 2 chicks 003.jpg
    Day 2 chicks 003.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Now there are 8--don't know if #8 will make it or not. There are two more "pipping." We shall see. I took the blond one out to its momma around 4:00. I'm about to take the "buff" one out and put it under its momma for the night. The latest one I have on a "homemade" heating pad and under a lamp, where it will stay for the night. Gosh--this being a chicken midwife is taxing!

#7 and #8 taking a nap together. #8 is the dark one. It is moving around quite a bit when it is awake...I'm not going to get too excited, yet.

Attachments

• Naptime 003.jpg
    Naptime 003.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 126
I'll take a dozen. To hell with the cholesterol.
Addie--free-range eggs have less cholesterol than battery-farm eggs. I want to say 1/3 less...and it is dietary cholesterol in eggs, not serum (blood) cholesterol. And they are sooooo good! Of course, I have very happy chickens, and that might contribute to the quality of the eggs...oh, I could market them as "happy chicken eggs!"

BTW, Miss Broodie is on mat. leave, so she is exempt from the egg production line. No stew pot threats for Miss Broodie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom