Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The leg seems to be better--it is compensating. We plan on having two flocks--one at the farm, one here. One of the roosters will stay here, Rocky will go to the farm. I can't handle his aggression. Any other roosters will either be given away or have to be processed for the freezer.

I am enjoying reading your chicken posts, and I live on a country road with a few neighbours who have chickens. One is a single woman, works in town, keeps her chickens (and this morn as I was walking by for my 6:30AM jaunt, I heard a rooster crow in that tiny building). It seems too small a building for chickens....must go visit her someday, if/when I see her car home....ask if I can see their quarters.

Not that I'd know anything about what a chicken needs to be happy!.... but that rooster didn't sound happy this morning, quite a lame cock-a-doodle sound....almost pathetic. And it's hot today, and I see no windows in that coop, perhaps there are some on the far, non-road side.

any tips? Should I bother or would that be interfering?

I'm....trying harder to just let people do their own thing these days....old women (I just turned 65) and their opinions are less and less welcomed, I'm finding. Practicing zipper-mouth.

Oh--this is a very hard post to write. Gertie is no longer with us--a fox got her while I was in the City on Monday. I miss her so--she would come to the door to ask for cheese every day around 2:30 p.m. I feel so guilty for not locking them up--but they've been free-ranging for over a year, coming in at night, no predators. Now that they are in the City, predators come out during the day so when I'm not home, they have to be locked up--they are not happy. I miss Gertie. She was one of the 6 that came out to the farm with me just over a week ago.

Yeah--broke my heart. I know one has to expect predators to get one's chickens or disease. I took such care of them....I have a live trap out, I leave Cliff, the dog, in the yard at night and during the day--he really isn't a guard dog, and wants to be in the house--I have a hairdresser friend saving hair, I have checked the fence--unfortunately, foxes can jump 8 ft and the fence is 6 ft...I can't afford to install electric fence x 6 strands and I really don't want to put the hens in an enclosed area with a top and a bottom--it would have to be small--or keep them locked up 24x7--they are used to roaming around the yard. But, I don't want to lose them either. I've inspected the fence and blocked every spot that is more than 2" high (the ground is not even, so there are places where the fence doesn't reach the ground). I don't know what else to do. The DH is peeing around the perimeter when he is there. How lovely--I hope the neighbours don't complain.

Last edited:
Awwww....so sad. It's always the good ones that go first....actually, I just remembered that this was a saying of me old Da's: "tis the good who die young'.
Sadly for Dad, he's 86 and still going strong....doesn't feel too good about that, esp since my Mom's passing, a year ago. I think he's now afraid to die...not sure where he'll go.....:ermm:

but this is condolences for your sweet Gertie; and you who are missing her. When I was grieving my fav cat, Abe (a fisher got him in his 9th year with us), a wise old monk calmed my hurt with words that we can now pray for ALL animals that are at this moment suffering, awaiting slaughter etc.....'

Taking my mind to a larger mass of suffering beings helped me feel a tad better, just a tad.....hope it does you too.

Am wondering if some type of random strobe light would work? You would have to move it around periodically. Also, some variation on a noise maker/siren that beeps periodically? Maybe a recording of a barking dog?

I am enjoying reading your chicken posts, and I live on a country road with a few neighbours who have chickens. One is a single woman, works in town, keeps her chickens (and this morn as I was walking by for my 6:30AM jaunt, I heard a rooster crow in that tiny building). It seems too small a building for chickens....must go visit her someday, if/when I see her car home....ask if I can see their quarters.

Not that I'd know anything about what a chicken needs to be happy!.... but that rooster didn't sound happy this morning, quite a lame cock-a-doodle sound....almost pathetic. And it's hot today, and I see no windows in that coop, perhaps there are some on the far, non-road side.

any tips? Should I bother or would that be interfering?

I'm....trying harder to just let people do their own thing these days....old women (I just turned 65) and their opinions are less and less welcomed, I'm finding. Practicing zipper-mouth.

go for it, either she will take care of the problem or she won't. but at least you will know you tried to help a helpless creature.

Supposedly, chickens need 2 square feet re: coop space. Mine have more space than that and are very happy chickens -- except for Gertie :-(. I got two of my hens (Harriet and Myrtle) from s/one who had an ice-fishing hut for 12 hens. Harriet and Myrtle tumbled out and have never looked back! Well, except maybe to say, "Thank chicken, we got out of there and the Big Chicken came and got us."

Send it my way! The girls love all things green--including asparagus. Green looks nice with purple--and I dress them in purple whenever possible.

I'm not sure asparagus is going to help. It might make the pee stinky, but just about any carnivore will be able to smell that he ate a vegi. Eating vegis doesn't make you threatening. It means that you might be food. Definitely don't use pee from a vegetarian.
:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom