Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since Gertie's demise, I have been remiss about letting everyone know how the chicklets are doing--they are growing! I finally decided to let them outside (Momma was very happy about that--she'd been cooped up for 2 weeks with 7 demanding chicks). Harriet and Myrtle are NOT maternal--they have stood on the other side of the dog pen (the area where I let Momma and the babies out) and have tried to peck the wee ones through the fence...when not harrassing the newbies, Harriet and Myrtle stand at the patio door "Can we come in and have cheese?" Perhaps if they said "please".

Milly has ended up on the south side of the fence twice now. I have to figure out how she's getting there since she hasn't figured out that "press 4 for vertical flying" will get her up and over the fence (or where the spot is she goes under). I blocked the spot where I thought she was getting through--only to find her on the other side of the fence yesterday, again. When I looked over and saw her on the other side of the fence, I left the patio door open a wee bit. Came back inside to find SEVEN chickens checking out potential roosting spots in the Big Chicken's house...NOT. A handful of sunflower seeds worked as a bribe to get them back on their side of the door.

We cleaned the coop the other day--they are much happier now that there isn't so much stuff in their way (the coop is actually an old horse barn I used to store stuff--dog crates, etc.).

All in all, life is quiet in this chicken keeper's life. Probably won't stay that way--I have 10 ready-to-lay Lohmans scheduled to arrive the 23rd.

Last edited:
I am not surprised that the two girls were trying to peck the babies. Are you going to name the babies? Before you know it they will be all grown up. And since you have more coming in, you might run out of names. Glad to hear that everything is normal and the big girls Myrtle and Harriet are misbehaving. When they have their own babies, it will be different. They are just jealous.

When I was a kid, I asked how come the chickens didn't leave. Because they stay where they know the food is. We had the big feeder in the coop along with their water and still scattered some of it around the outside of the coop. So they pretty much stayed in that area. Milly has to learn where her bread is buttered. And it is not on the other side of the fence. No purple outfits for her until she learns to behave.

Thanks for the update. :angel:

Well--gimpy chick is named "Pebbles" because we are using a pebble to do the traction on its leg to rotate the joint. If it is a roo--its name will be Stone. And if that is a roo--it better have a nice temperament because I don't think we can send it to freezer camp after all of this!

Thanks for the update, CWS!

I was holding a 4 week old puppy this morning, she was so sweet.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Thanks for the update, CWS!

I was holding a 4 week old puppy this morning, she was so sweet.

Pics? A new pup for the facility?

Last edited:
Pics? A new pup for the facility?

No pics, I didn't know she would be there. Her name it Roe, I can't remember what breed Ang said she was, terrier of some sort. Ang is my counterpart for Longterm Care, she does the MDS for all other types insurance.

Jack Russell Terrier

Last edited:
PrincessFiona60 said:
No pics, I didn't know she would be there. Her name it Roe, I can't remember what breed Ang said she was, terrier of some sort. Ang is my counterpart for Longterm Care, she does the MDS for all other types insurance.

Jack Russell Terrier

Ruh roh! Jack Russels are brilliant and devious! Quite a handful!

Learning to FLY!

Look, Ma, I can fly!

The chicks will be three weeks' old Sunday, and several of them are spreading their wings and learning to fly. I do not clip wings--flight does give the birds the opportunity to escape predators/threats. It also makes them much harder for the humans to catch them. Their wing feathers have come in, but the rest of their feathers have not developed. Their little tails have developed--something I didn't think about--the tails are so small when they hatch, you don't really notice that they have tails...they do now! Must get out there with my camera today. They are going in and out today, perching on top of their feeders, the "nest box" in which they sleep...and peeping none stop. They grow up so fast!

I do remember the young Plymouth Rocks and how hard they were to corral when they didn't want to go into their area...I've gotten smarter, I now have a butterfly net to use if I need to catch one. Once they reach their adult weights, the ability to fly diminishes, but there is a lot of time between now and then. I don't know how well the butterfly net will work if they take flight...Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN!

Learning to FLY!

Look, Ma, I can fly!

The chicks will be three weeks' old Sunday, and several of them are spreading their wings and learning to fly. I do not clip wings--flight does give the birds the opportunity to escape predators/threats. It also makes them much harder for the humans to catch them. Their wing feathers have come in, but the rest of their feathers have not developed. Their little tails have developed--something I didn't think about--the tails are so small when they hatch, you don't really notice that they have tails...they do now! Must get out there with my camera today. They are going in and out today, perching on top of their feeders, the "nest box" in which they sleep...and peeping none stop. They grow up so fast!

I do remember the young Plymouth Rocks and how hard they were to corral when they didn't want to go into their area...I've gotten smarter, I now have a butterfly net to use if I need to catch one. Once they reach their adult weights, the ability to fly diminishes, but there is a lot of time between now and then. I don't know how well the butterfly net will work if they take flight...Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN!

All I can think of is the Peter Pan song, "I Can Fly".

Learning to FLY!

Look, Ma, I can fly!

Pictures!! We need to see the little ones.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but wanted to mention...

Do you watch Storage Wars? I caught one of the funniest episodes. Barry finds vintage red chicken sunglasses in an abandoned storage locker, then goes to get them appraised in his chicken caddy - eating (what else?) a drumstick. lol. Here's the footage on the chicken glasses, etc.

Chicken Glasses - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom