Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those who joined us at a later date than 11/2011

CWS and her Chicken Chronicles have been with us since she first joined us here at DC. We all have come to love Myrtle and the rest of the brood of girls. All of us have sat up all night while CWS rocked one of the girls back to health. We have cried when Foxy Loxy got one of the girls. We were there with the girls when they made it through their first winter. I still don't understand why they didn't like their beautiful hand knitted sweaters. Come spring time, we watched them scratch and dig in the garden looking for bugs and worms. No need to till the soil after they got out there. They were very thorough. No wonder they went on strike for more treats.

Cocky Rocky kept attacking CWS. He had declared war on CWS. He became very vicious toward her whenever she tried to take care of the girls. Unfortunately it became necessary to find another home for him.

Then there were some other setbacks and CWS was unable to find the time to continue with her Chicken Chronicles. It is sure good to see that Myrtle is back. She has taken us on some great adventures. Welcome back Myrtle.

So for those of you newer members who are not familiar with The Chicken Chronicles, I would like to suggest that you go back to page one and catch up on Myrtle and the Girls. Delightful reading! I promise! :angel:

ROFL!!! Therapy Chicken! Great Job! I bet Myrtle does a good breast stroke...
Why not a therapy chicken? And she has been invited to a pool party...now I have to figure out how to make a chickini...and for those who haven't read the stories about my girls, I am a little obsessed with the girls and my girls are very happy hens. I do think Myrtle needs more outings...environmental enrichment--for Myrtle and for where she goes!

CWS and her Chicken Chronicles have been with us since she first joined us here at DC. We all have come to love Myrtle and the rest of the brood of girls. All of us have sat up all night while CWS rocked one of the girls back to health. We have cried when Foxy Loxy got one of the girls. We were there with the girls when they made it through their first winter. I still don't understand why they didn't like their beautiful hand knitted sweaters. Come spring time, we watched them scratch and dig in the garden looking for bugs and worms. No need to till the soil after they got out there. They were very thorough. No wonder they went on strike for more treats.

Cocky Rocky kept attacking CWS. He had declared war on CWS. He became very vicious toward her whenever she tried to take care of the girls. Unfortunately it became necessary to find another home for him.

Then there were some other setbacks and CWS was unable to find the time to continue with her Chicken Chronicles. It is sure good to see that Myrtle is back. She has taken us on some great adventures. Welcome back Myrtle.

So for those of you newer members who are not familiar with The Chicken Chronicles, I would like to suggest that you go back to page one and catch up on Myrtle and the Girls. Delightful reading! I promise! :angel:
Who knew having chickens could be so much fun. Right now I have 3 girls sitting on eggs...hoping we will hatch some cute little babies soon. Got the batteries charging for my camera--baby chicks are sooooooooo cute.

Why not a therapy chicken? And she has been invited to a pool party...now I have to figure out how to make a chickini...and for those who haven't read the stories about my girls, I am a little obsessed with the girls and my girls are very happy hens. I do think Myrtle needs more outings...environmental enrichment--for Myrtle and for where she goes!

I think it's a brilliant choice, I was still laughing over her riding in the car with her head out the window!

Chicken Road Show...
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Myrtle would like that. She really wanted to ride on the dashboard. And, she was having fun...don't know what she told the others when she got home, but I think they were jealous. I am still chuckling over the image of her on my lap with her head out the window...she was sooooooo cute, if I must say so myself.

Addie, thanks for you kind words about the girls' stories!

I'm thinking Myrtle needs a "flightsuit." I contacted the company and have to call the guy who sews them with Myrtle's measurements. I'm thinking purple.

Purple FlightSuit | Avian Fashions

Absolutely! She deserves it. After all she is your lead hen. I am excited about the possibilities of more babies. Is there a new Rocky in the yard? :angel:

Peep-peep-peep, 8 chicks have hatched so far--more to go. Yes, there is Redson (a RIR rooster) and his hatch mate, Stripey, a RIR x Shaffer cross (very handsome boy). There's one grey and white chick, and the rest are all yellow. We'll see what they grow up to be...I know there are going to be several RIRs, the rest, we'll see. Eggatha is a very good momma. Once I can move them, I'll take pics.

Well, right now, I can't tell the boys from the girls. I can only tell them apart when they are about 3-4 weeks old. I will try to sell the "cockerels" on Kijiji before I will send them to freezer camp. It took us 2 years to before we could send Rocky to freezer camp and that was only because the DH had to go to NS because his mom was dieing and his flock (plus roosters) were relocated to the farm because the barn is big enough that they can be there with food and water set up for more than 2-3 days at a time.

Well, right now, I can't tell the boys from the girls. I can only tell them apart when they are about 3-4 weeks old. I will try to sell the "cockerels" on Kijiji before I will send them to freezer camp. It took us 2 years to before we could send Rocky to freezer camp and that was only because the DH had to go to NS because his mom was dieing and his flock (plus roosters) were relocated to the farm because the barn is big enough that they can be there with food and water set up for more than 2-3 days at a time.
I thought you had to do it within the first few days. I Googled, one place recommended 3-6 months old. I think I was confusing it with something I heard in a documentary. I heard that you can sex chicks when they are a few hours old, but it gets harder after that.

I thought you had to do it within the first few days. I Googled, one place recommended 3-6 months old. I think I was confusing it with something I heard in a documentary. I heard that you can sex chicks when they are a few hours old, but it gets harder after that.
Good luck with that (if you've ever had chicks). I can't seem to find his eminence.:LOL:

Peep-peep-peep, 8 chicks have hatched so far--more to go. Yes, there is Redson (a RIR rooster) and his hatch mate, Stripey, a RIR x Shaffer cross (very handsome boy). There's one grey and white chick, and the rest are all yellow. We'll see what they grow up to be...I know there are going to be several RIRs, the rest, we'll see. Eggatha is a very good momma. Once I can move them, I'll take pics.

Here we go again folks. How many eggs total are in the clutch? This is so exciting. How is Eggatha holding up? Getting her rest, I hope. Are any of the other ladies taking a peak at the new babies? I have always loved the RIRs. :angel:

Most likely. I can't have any more roosters.

It has always been my understanding that the rule is "One rooster to a barnyard." Otherwise you are going to be having fights till blood comes.

Either that then you have to divide the hens into two separate groups. :angel:

That is the general rule, but these two were "hatch mates" so they are okay together. Stripey is definitely not the boss of the barnyard, but he does have a couple of hens that are his "girls." There were seven more eggs that Eggatha was still waiting on. I isolated her and the babies using a barrier. They had already gone through 1-qt jar of chick starter food when I went to lock everyone up last night. I have these feeders that are inverted quart jars attached to a little feeder thingy. I brought out a 2nd full jar when I locked them up and will fill both up again when I let the adults out in the morning. Chicks eat a LOT. Once I know she's "done" trying to hatch more eggs, I will move momma and the chicks to a brooder so they are isolated. Thankfully at this time of year, momma will provide heat and I don't have to string up lamps.

Addie--you would have loved to have seen the two "eyes" peeking out from momma's feathers at me. Two separate chicks, both checking out the "Big Chicken" when she brought food and water.

These babies will not be raised anything like those that are raised in battery farms. Their momma will be with them until they are able to join the others in the yard. She will teach them how to peck and scratch, how to perch, how to dirt bath, how to hide from threats in the yard, and how to go back in at sundown. She will be followed by these chicks for a good 4-5 months before they declare their independence. The babies will form their own little "mini" flock within the flock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom