Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eagles? Good grief! Their talons are longer than hawks. Yesterday morning I was up just as daylight was breaking. I thought I heard a child crying. When I went to the window, it turned out to be a hawk. in the tree across the street. Have to let Spike know so he could keep a short leash on Teddy when he has him out for his walks. There weren't any around this area last year. Have to protect our babies.

A baby chick would be just a snack for an eagle. Bald Eagles? They would have to bring home a whole flock of babies to feed their families. Have you named the new babies yet? :angel:

The grey and white one is Meredith (as in Meredith Grey--Grey's Anatomy). I haven't named the others, yet. I was thinking of naming the two "whites" Allie (Alabaster) and Miss Marble. Not sure yet...and haven't decided on the names for the RIRs. Think they should be "B" names...Bertha, Bettina (except I have a Miss Betty White), Brigit, and for some reason, I want to call one Barley...but that is not really a name...

The grey and white one is Meredith (as in Meredith Grey--Grey's Anatomy). I haven't named the others, yet. I was thinking of naming the two "whites" Allie (Alabaster) and Miss Marble. Not sure yet...and haven't decided on the names for the RIRs. Think they should be "B" names...Bertha, Bettina (except I have a Miss Betty White), Brigit, and for some reason, I want to call one Barley...but that is not really a name...

I like your chicken names - and my Mom loves Betty White.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Have your forgotten Barbie Doll? :angel:

I would not have thought of that one. My DD wouldn't even play with Barbies except to try to dehead them with her brothers GI Joes.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I've named the youngsters:

Meredith is now Merla (she is now looking like a "blue merle" dog, so decided she had to be Merla).

The small white one is "BB" (Betty [White's] Baby)
The other white one is Bertha
One of the "red-browns" is Arlys, the other is Gladys.
The three RIRs are Hester, Hattie, and Henrietta
The 1/2 white/1/2 red is Portia (Merchant of Venice reference--from the front she looks like one bird, from the back, a different bird)
And the lone rooster boy is Stripey Jr. -- but I call him Junior.

They are really growing and are well integrated into the flock with the big birds.

Miss Betty White is on day 8 of sitting on eggs. She did something I've never seen before this morning. She somehow convinced Pearl to sit on the eggs while she made a mad dash outside for some food, water, and most importantly, a dirt bath. When I brought Miss Betty White food and fresh water this morning, I said to her "you have your head up. Are you hungry?" (She had been in that "broody hen pose" every other time). When I went back outside, I noticed that it wasn't Pearl in the yard with the others, but Miss Betty White. When I went out awhile later, Miss Betty White was back on the eggs and Pearl was outside. I did notice that Pearl must have eaten the food I brought out--it was gone. This is the first time I've had a broody hen leave the eggs and another bird "eggy sit" them (that's my word of the day, PF).

I've named the youngsters:

Meredith is now Merla (she is now looking like a "blue merle" dog, so decided she had to be Merla).

The small white one is "BB" (Betty [White's] Baby)
The other white one is Bertha
One of the "red-browns" is Arlys, the other is Gladys.
The three RIRs are Hester, Hattie, and Henrietta
The 1/2 white/1/2 red is Portia (Merchant of Venice reference--from the front she looks like one bird, from the back, a different bird)
And the lone rooster boy is Stripey Jr. -- but I call him Junior.

They are really growing and are well integrated into the flock with the big birds.

Miss Betty White is on day 8 of sitting on eggs. She did something I've never seen before this morning. She somehow convinced Pearl to sit on the eggs while she made a mad dash outside for some food, water, and most importantly, a dirt bath. When I brought Miss Betty White food and fresh water this morning, I said to her "you have your head up. Are you hungry?" (She had been in that "broody hen pose" every other time). When I went back outside, I noticed that it wasn't Pearl in the yard with the others, but Miss Betty White. When I went out awhile later, Miss Betty White was back on the eggs and Pearl was outside. I did notice that Pearl must have eaten the food I brought out--it was gone. This is the first time I've had a broody hen leave the eggs and another bird "eggy sit" them (that's my word of the day, PF).

Great names!

And a good word of the day!:)

In the afternoon, Redson (remember, the "s" is silent--debris, aisle, island, Illinois, Arkansas, and the sixth word in the English language with a silent "s" is Redson), was standing at the French patio doors. He could see his reflection.

"Who is that?" He lifted his leg and that "new" rooster lifted his leg. He tilted his head to the right...the new "roo" tilted his head to the right. He puffed up his chest and stood on one leg again...the new "roo" did the same. A head tilt to the left...new roo did the same....a loooooong stare. The new "roo" didn't look away...Redson walked away with a quick look over his shoulder to make sure that new "roo" was respecting his territory and also walking away. Redson knows his name...but now, I wonder if he now recognizes what he looks like when looking at his reflection........who knew having chickens was so much fun and that they were SO smart. So glad I don't eat battery-farmed chicken or eggs anymore...they are far too smart and emotional to be treated that way. Miss Betty White has obviously been talking with Pearl and managed to recruit Pearl to be an egg sitter...who knew?

Working on coordinating a canoeing afternoon with the kids--the one pictured with Myrtle on his hat and his brother--wondering how Myrtle can come along.....she'd like canoeing....flight suit needs to be modified to include water wings....hmmm....

When I went out to lock down the flock(s) last night, Portia was not with the littles. I counted once, twice, three times...looked all around, no Portia. "Don't panic, yet, Big Chicken..." I went to the "adult" coop, counted and there was Portia, nestled in between Myrtle and Eggatha. Portia is a "big-hen wannabe." This morning, she ran out of the coop in the "middle" of the big hens. Now if the others would decide to move into the "adult" coop, that would make life a lot easier in the winter.

They are all so very cute! 9 weeks old this Friday, healthy, growing, and very social. They come to the house and are interacting with the adults--no pecking from the adults. This I like. And yesterday, they all demonstrated their dirt-bathing skills!

Miss Betty White's eggs should hatch next week. She's been very diligent about sitting on the eggs--hope they hatch (or some do) and please don't hatch all little roos!

I'm so glad you found Portia. I do remember when one would be missing and the end result was very sad indeed. But then I remember everything about the girls. :angel:

Last edited:
Saturday, Gladys went missing. I looked high and low...no such luck. Today I figured she was gone...when I went to lock the littles up tonight, I happened to stumble on a feed bucket that was upside down. OMG, Gladys was trapped under it. I brought her in the house, fed her and let her drink. Took her out to the coop. Hopefully, the food and water were restorative enough. She was perky enough when I took her out.

I was so happy to find her! I had looked for a pile of feathers, looked under things that could have trapped her...no luck. I was puzzled why the other birds weren't stress...could a critter/hawk have gotten her? If so, why weren't the other birds stressed? We'll see how she does over the next few days.

Meanwhile, Miss Betty White's eggs should hatch by the weekend. Prudence is now sitting on a clutch of 10 eggs...don't know what I'm going to do with all these chicks!

That was a Loooong game of hide and seek.

Gladys: Tee Hee, she'll never find me.

Day two: Is she looking?

Day three: Stoopie big chicken

Day four: You found me!!!!! Cheater, you looked!

Last edited:
That was a Loooong game of hide and seek.

Gladys: Tee Hee, she'll never find me.

Day two: Is she looking?

Day three: Stoopie big chicken

Day four: You found me!!!!! Cheater, you looked!
I may be slow at the game, but am sooooo glad I found her. I was frantic--spent a lot of time looking under the wood pile (they like to perch there before they go in for the night), in the high-bush cranberry in case she'd perched there (but she should've come out for the day)...wondered why the Roos kept going in the "littles" coop. Now I know. Note to self: flip over EVERYTHING under which a chick could hide...

Oh no! Poor Gladys, so glad you found her!
At first, I thought she was dead...I was so glad to hear her peep and flutter her wings when I picked her up! She got to come in the house to eat and drink before going back out to her flock mates. We'll see how she's doing in the a.m. I've been out three times to check on her...they are getting a bit annoyed with me...they don't appreciate having a flashlight shined in their faces when they are sleeping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom