"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

when i buy cube steak, i buy a nice round steak and ask the butcher to tenderize it twice. super tender and maybe just a tad less expensive.

it was my late husbands absolute favorite meal. follow the directions everyone gave you, it is delish. never served it with gravy.

babe

Old 08-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
Master Chef

ITK... this is one dish I have yet to master. DH loves it, but I have not discovered the trick to making awesome CFS. When you have good CFS.. it is tender, fall apart in your mouth goodness with a filling gravy!!!! The gravy itself can be made a meal of!

Hey Mama... I'm gonna check out the thread you posted... maybe I can figure out how to do it right! Thanks ITK for posting this!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom was the best cook in the world (honest!), but she didn't like the way her chicken fried steak turned out. So whenever we went on vacation she ordered it at most of the places we went. That was her big vacation treat every year.

Barbara
Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
ITK... this is one dish I have yet to master. DH loves it, but I have not discovered the trick to making awesome CFS. When you have good CFS.. it is tender, fall apart in your mouth goodness with a filling gravy!!!! The gravy itself can be made a meal of!

Hey Mama... I'm gonna check out the thread you posted... maybe I can figure out how to do it right! Thanks ITK for posting this!
Just make sure you pound it out fairly thin and it should be very tender. Hope you enjoy it Sattie!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Just make sure you pound it out fairly thin and it should be very tender. Hope you enjoy it Sattie!
I got ya booked marked... I will let you know how it turns out next time I attempt this!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:41 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Pretty much, Yeah! what ererybody else said. I used to see a cut of beef called "Chivken Fried Steak". It was not cubed, it was very tender and thin cut. It had a vein of grizzle in the middle of the meat. I haven't seen it lately. Never thought of the cubed steak.

AC
Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've had it with white sausage gravy but the other day, I saw Paula Deen make it with a brown onion gravy in a Throwdown episode and it was hailed as authentic Southern style.

This also how I make mine, to make sure its gets tender - after browning both side I had 1-2 Tbls. water and cover, simmer for about 15 -20 mins. Take cover off raise heat and re crisp if needed. Take out then make your gravy. Now I am hungry for it !!!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Is there a technique for that, Barb?
I always have an "interesting" time adding broth or water to something I've been cooking in a little oil.

I think I'm going to make this for dinner sometime this week. I just need to pick up the cube steaks. I like cube steaks anyway and haven't had them in a while. I always fried them in a little oil with salt, pepper and garlic powder, then served it on a piece of garlic toast. Makes a great breakfast with scrambled eggs. I've been meaning to try this "chicken fried steak" that I've heard about and am making myself hungry too, just thinking about it.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Personally, I don't use the pan drippings to make the gravy. Granted, I'm missing out on all that wonderful fond... but I like the contrast of a milk/cream gravy with the flavor of the breaded steak... I use a roux made with either bacon fat or butter.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Aren't you people the BEST and I do mean it! I often worried when my mom would pass what would I do? It's as if a prayer was answered when I request help none of you hesitate. could I want more than that? I don't think so. I just had to find out no matter how ignorant it seemed because we might have eaten it but never had name for it. Thanks to you all for sharing the different ways. Hope I do it right now.

Food, family and dogs are most important things in my life. Think most of you must feel the same way. Oh, good health is another one.