Chicken lady advice requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taxlady, I had to look that up. I'd never heard of it before, EVER.
Next time I talk to my son on the organic farm--I will have to ask him if they ever had that happen.
thank you

I think it's very uncommon in chickens.

They have a couple hundred chickens and now some goslings, and turkeys, so I'll be wondering about that. They are SO cute, I would have to hold some of them.

Since chickens lay eggs fairly often, it just seems strange that one egg would stay inside--or I wonder if they --the chicken just stopped producing eggs until the chick was born?

It wasn't born without an egg. The egg hatched inside the mother hen. Lots of animals have young that way. It's called oviviparous.
I don't think my girls would do that--they get treats for laying eggs every day...can't see them holding on for 21 days to get their favorite treats! Possible, yes, with manipulation, I guess, but, I prefer letting the girls behave in a more natural fashion.

I'm no expert but I suspect you don't need to train or reward hens to expel their eggs. :)
I do know that one of the things that can kill a hen is if the egg gets stuck and doesn't come out. When I first got the girls, if I was short re: eggs, I was worried one of them was blocked--but of course, I wouldn't be able to tell which one hadn't laid, because I didn't know their eggs at that point. Now I can tell which hens have laid and which ones haven't....the eggs are each unique. Myrtle, btw, is competing with the phantom duck hen--her eggs are HUGE. She's one happy hen...

So what do you do with a hen with a stuck egg? C-section? ;) But seriously, say you had one less egg than chickens and knew which one it was, what would you do?

I did finally talk with the organic farmer about the 'stuck egg' problem. She said they have 200 egg layers so some 30 dozen eggs a few times a week.

Sometimes a layer will become lethargic and they won't know what is wrong until they decide to cull them, cut them open for meat chicken. They'll find a stuck egg.

She said that usually it doesn't get stuck in the egg laying canal, it usually lodges in the intestinal canal and rots there and doesn't hatch. So it's very uncommon.

Who knew!! not me! Kind of shocking really.

She said that usually it doesn't get stuck in the egg laying canal, it usually lodges in the intestinal canal and rots there and doesn't hatch. So it's very uncommon.
Survival of the fittest. If it happened too often the ones that do it would not produce as many offspring and whatever causes it would be bred out of their genes.

I'll admit that in all my years I've never wondered once, before this topic, what happens to chickens with stuck eggs! :)

No, an egg cannot get stuck in the intestines, unless the chicken ate it. Those are two separate systems. Just like with humans. It might appear so, on necropsy, but who looks really closely at a rotten egg in a dead chicken?

No, an egg cannot get stuck in the intestines, unless the chicken ate it. Those are two separate systems. Just like with humans. It might appear so, on necropsy, but who looks really closely at a rotten egg in a dead chicken?

I think what she meant was the egg would be laid and then lodge in the anal canal = intestinal canal. This would not happen *naturally*, the chicken would sit on it and push it into that canal.

She butchers a few thousand chickens a year. If you were going to ask someone who knows the answer, who would it be? (Not me for sure.)

I tried to look this bizarre situation up by searching for more information on the internet, and I have not found anything else about it. I have no experience.

A chicken only has one exit oriface, the cloaca. The reproductive tract does hook up with the intestines. But, for an egg to get into the intestines, it would have to go around a corner and upstream into the intestine.

I did finally talk with the organic farmer about the 'stuck egg' problem. She said they have 200 egg layers so some 30 dozen eggs a few times a week.

Sometimes a layer will become lethargic and they won't know what is wrong until they decide to cull them, cut them open for meat chicken. They'll find a stuck egg.

The lethargy was the sign I was watching for--that and cold feet and a change in skin color until I figured out that only the Rhode Island Reds lay daily--the Buffs and the Plymouth Rocks take a day off (and not always Sunday) every week. And then there was also the issue of finding the hidden clutch...I found 13 eggs hidden in one clutch in December. Mine are pretty consistent and everyone has usually laid by 9:30 - 10 a.m. (I used to not let them out until they'd finished, now they go back in an lay in the nest boxes). I'm not as paranoid as I was when I first got the chickens. However, a friend posted on facebook this morning that a raccoon got into her hens' coop and killed two hens and 18 chicks....sad.

However, a friend posted on facebook this morning that a raccoon got into her hens' coop and killed two hens and 18 chicks....sad.

Get one good live trap and bait it with sardines or cheese. It's always nice to have a live trap available.
Last year we had such trouble with our gardens and a raccoon--and we ended up trapping him ON TOP of the PICNIC TABLE, on the Deck in a live trap.

You know, I know so little about the chickens, I didn't think it was too much information to hear about how chickens only have one 'vent'. I had no idea, good to know.

Back
Top Bottom