Chicken Tar Tar, Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's even worse is that there was an article in The New York Times "Food Section" just a few weeks ago reviewing a NYC Japanese restaurant that was serving "raw chicken" sushi & sashimi. They claim to obtain their birds from private "safe" sources, & while I don't know how they manage it, the NYC health department has not forbidden them from serving it.

That isn't far removed from "chicken tartare".

BreezyCooking said:
What's even worse is that there was an article in The New York Times "Food Section" just a few weeks ago reviewing a NYC Japanese restaurant that was serving "raw chicken" sushi & sashimi. They claim to obtain their birds from private "safe" sources, & while I don't know how they manage it, the NYC health department has not forbidden them from serving it.

That isn't far removed from "chicken tartare".

We always try something different when at different sushi bars. One time it was scallops, still "bleathing" as I was told (so sweet and delicious), another time was giant clam - GACK, it was like taking a bite off someone's ear (also cut from the living, VERY ugly creature)! I just don't think I can bring myself to eat raw chicken............I don't think.

I've never tried what one of our local sushi restaurants advertises as "live" scallops, but imagine they'd be good. Heck, I never have a problem tossing back fresh-shucked clams on the halfshell - why should scallops be any different.

Did the ones you have still have the orange roe attached? That's something I've always wanted to try but that seems to be impossible to find in the U.S.

BreezyCooking said:
I've never tried what one of our local sushi restaurants advertises as "live" scallops, but imagine they'd be good. Heck, I never have a problem tossing back fresh-shucked clams on the halfshell - why should scallops be any different.

Did the ones you have still have the orange roe attached? That's something I've always wanted to try but that seems to be impossible to find in the U.S.

No orange roe that I recall. The scallop was sliced very thin and beautifully presented on a bed of spiral-shredded daikon and the taste was so wonderful. You should really try them. I wouldn't say I would order them every time - maybe once a year or so as the texture is not my favorite, but, does not even come CLOSE to sea urchin :rolleyes:

sorry petey, we won't hijack your thread anymore. Petey?????? PETEY??????????? PEEEEETEEEEEEEEY

Dang, another one lost to the woodshed maybe.

Oh heck - he'll be back. It was a non-serious joke thread anyway - lol!!!

Scallops are nearly always sold with the roe in Europe, but here they're just considered trash. They're supposed to be very good though.

I'm not a fan of sea urchin, but I've never had it cooked like I've seen in sushi restaurants around here. The one & only time I had sea urchin it was raw, & had the consistency & color of raw egg yolk. Since raw or undercooked eggs are barf city for me, you can imagine my reaction. Luckily my dining companion at the time was more than willing to take mine off my hands.

Oh well - at least I was willing to TRY it. My parents never forced us kids to eat anything, but we did have to at least taste/try it. Then, if we still didn't like it, we could pass it by.

Oh it's ok, you guys can talk about what you like here.. the chicken tar tar was only a joke. I'm waiting for some help at another thread if you guys can be of assistance

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, I had all these thoughts before opening this, such as is this person serious? (salmonella came to mind) Thanks for the laugh!:LOL:

Petey - I was going to make some this evening, but the only thing I could find was a big black buzzard on the roof over the road.
Do you think that would do?:chef: :chef:

cliveb said:
Petey - I was going to make some this evening, but the only thing I could find was a big black buzzard on the roof over the road.
Do you think that would do?:chef: :chef:

I wouldnt do buzzard. Buzzard is tough:mad:

petey..
My woodshed door is always open..there is a special place in the back...........that might be what Kitchenelf was talking about...

If slaughtered properly the insides of a chicken should be as safe as the insides of any other animal. I think most of the bad stuff comes from the handling.
This doesn't mean I'll be eating raw chicken any time soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom