"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #141
Master Chef

Chief's Tip of the Day:

Don't forget the sage. If celery, carrots, and onion (mirepoix) are the holy trinity of aromatic veggies, then sage, salt, and black pepper are the holy trinity of savory herbs & spices.

Sage is often relegated to turkey stuffing, and little else. To me, it is the definition of a savory herb. Sage complements everything from mashed potatoes, to gravy, to lamb, to venison. It is famous for use with all kinds of poultry, but also is so good with fish, especially salmon, trout, and swordfish. It adds wonderful flavor to chicken soup, or broth, and is equally at home with acorn squash, or winter squash based soups.

Try adding making a compound butter of salted butter, sage, and black pepper to use with everything you want to put butter on, be it smashed sweet spuds (sweet potatoes), to steamed corn.

If you like savory flavors, this combination just might become one of your all time favorites. It certainly is one of mine.

Next time you have Old Bay seasoning around, place a bit in the palm of your hand, then taste it. You will definitely taste sage, black pepper, salt, and celery seed. And of course it is a vital component in all poultry seasoning mixes. This wonderful herb even adds great flavor to marinara sauce. I wouldn't add it to my apple pie though.

So pick up some sage, fresh, rubbed, ground, it doesn't matter. Start adding it to your savory dishes, i.e. stews, roasts, soups, chops, etc. It will add a whole new flavor dimension to your food.

Beware though. As with all good things, use sparingly. You can always add more to a dish. But once it's in the pot, you can't remove it. And too much sage will add a bitter, and unpleasant flavor to your food. Used properly, it is a wonderful herb. It is a must-have item in my spice rack.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #142
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
And of course you need sage in breakfast sausage.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #143
Sous Chef

Thank you for the tips Chief Longwind of the North. Much appreciated
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #144
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post

When dicing/cutting sweet peppers, cut the stem and heel off, remove core, slit, lay it out, skinside down, and slice from the inside. It cuts better and is easier to cut this way.
Excellent, thanks CWS
Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #145
Master Chef

Chief's Tip of the Day

First, it's my pleasure and honor to share a little technique and food knowledge that I've learned over the years. You're all very welcome.

For today's tip, I know that there are a good many people who say they don't like trout, and salmon, that the meat is too fishy. Trout and salmon are delectable, when prepared properly. Smaller fish of legal size, between 7 and 15 inches, need no special technique but to not overcook them. A little salt is really all that's needed to bring out the delicate flavor.

Larger members of the Salmon family can indeed taste fishy, like cod-liver oil. I don't know how may of you have had to take that nasty tasting stuff. Just take my word for it. You won't like it. To get rid of that flavor, you have to remove the dark meat (the bloodline), and sometimes the skin as well. Other areas that have to be removed are the meat directly under the dorsal fin, and the fatty meat that makes up the belly. After that, you can bake, broil, poach, pan fry, dust with flour and fry, dip in batter and deep fry, or smoke it. Another great technique for cooking this wonderful category of fish is to place it on an oiled plank of smoking wood, such as apple, cherry, walnut, maple, or white oak.

Cook the fish until it is done through. The meat, depending on the species, will turn a pastel color, such as orange, pink, or white. It will be a solid color. overcooking this delicate meat can make it dry and tough. A light touch with the seasonings is required to avoid overpowering the delicate fish flavor.

Now I can't guarantee that this will make you a salmon, or trout lover. Though the flavor is mild, it isn't sweet like pollack, or cod. It's more savory. But these tips will allow you to find out if its the fish you don't like, or the fat. I just cooked up some steelhead (rainbow trout that's gone to the ocean and returned to fresh water). It is amazingly good. That's what prompted me to expound on salmon and trout.

You will find that you will either adore this family of fish, or hate it. But you won't know until you've had it made properly. I have known many people who swore that they hated all salmon. Then I cooked them some and they changed their minds.

Oh, and I'm not the genius who figured all of this out. I learned to cook fish from my Grandpa, and my Dad. They only fried it, but taught me how to prepare it for cooking. i cook it by many methods. One day, you'll have to try it cooked in a foil pouch, with sliced potatoes, carrots, and butter. Wow is that ever amazing. Oh, and that fried fish made by my Dad and Grandpa, it was something special indeed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #146
Chef Extraordinaire

Cheers for todays tip Chief
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #147
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love cod liver oil...
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #148
Sous Chef

Thank you Chief Longwind of the North! :>)
Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #149
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I love cod liver oil...
Have you ever had cod liver? If it's not overcooked, it is yummy, so is cod liver pâté.

I don't like cooked trout or salmon. I enjoy both of them cold smoked.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #150
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Have you ever had cod liver? If it's not overcooked, it is yummy, so is cod liver pâté.

I don't like cooked trout or salmon. I enjoy both of them cold smoked.
Never had it. But, my best friend and I were the only one's who would try it in 4th grade when we were studying Norway. I still love the flavor of it and any fish oil.