Chief's Tip of the Day:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charcoal and fire starter

When you have taken every kernel, and bit of corn off of that wonderful cob that's in front of you, set the cob somewhere to dry. Inf fact, do it with several cons. After a few days have elapsed, cut those cons into little half-inch discks. Melt some paraffin in a disposable aluminum pan, that you can get from the store for a buck or so. drop the cob discs into the melted was and let them absorb the molten fire starter. Remove and place on parchment paper to cool. You now have little paraffin impregnated discs that will burn long enough to start the charcoal, or a good campfire.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Spread the cheer.

I here from all kinds of people that no one knoes how to cook anymore
I run into young people all the time who want to know how. Well, I know a place where they can learn. I steer them to DC. Sadly, only a very few ever access this resource.

I now have a young man who I am mentoring. Though his mother knows how to cook, the twenty-something has learned little from her. He has turned to me as a freind to learn things, like how to build a custom fishing rod, or how to tie flies. Culinarily, so far I have taught him to spatccock, roast, and carve a turkey, make potato pancakes, how to make gravy from a roux, how to prepare and mash potatoes so that they are creamy and fluffy, how to make chili-dog cjili, thickened with orange lentils, and what herbs and spices to use, and hot to make the best french fries. We even made calzonrs together, though I haven't introduced him to making bread dough yet.

This I do for multiple reasons. He is my freind. I am his freind and mentor. I get the joy of both having a good freind, and doing something for another.

If you can find someone, be it a grandchild, a niece or nephew, the kid down the street, or anyone to mentor, and befreind, it will chage both of your lives for the better.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

Chief's Tip of the Day:

The Human Body, though made up of the same stuff as is a cow's body, is treated differently than a cow's body. The cow is best, and is most valuable with lots of intra-muscular fat, and aged to get the muscle tissue soft.

The human body is best when young, and made tough through exercise. It is most valuable when the muscles are lean and tough, with lots of resilience.

Though proper diet is essential for both, the cattle's diet is comprised of foods that encourage muscle, and intra-muscular fat production. Human food should encourage lean muscle growth, and strong bones, anti-oxidants, and contain viatmins, minerals, and other substances to encourage optimum health for an extended time.

As the human body is most valuable between the ages of 6, and about 45 years of age, make use of this time to enjoy life. Experience the joys of strong relationships with family, especially immediate family, including your children, and include a variety of challenging activities to stimulate the mind and body.

Unfortunately, many have adopted lifestyles that are better suited to producing tender beef, than healthy humans.

Which are you? Which do you want to be? If you are not what you want to be, then identify the challenges keeping you from your goals, and overcome those challenges.

I though I was living right, and then was educated too late as to what I was doing wrong. Learn from professionals, not the interenet, or your buddy. Everyone thinks they know how to do it right. Most are way wrong. I was, and I'm a fairly educated guy.
and commercials, big money, and the media will tell you virtually anything to get you to give up your hard earned money to them. Often, the products they sell do little to improve your life. Rather, you purchasing their product, improves their lives. Shop smart. Act smart. Live smart, especially duting those mid-teen, to mid-40 years.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwid of the North

Chief's Tip of the Day. Tomatoes

In the quest to find perfect tomato flavor, from a grocery store, I've tried all kinds, from different colors, to different sizes, to tomatoes on the vine, roma, beefsteak, etc. For constant flavor in sauces, I found a favorite brand of tomato products, DiFratelli, in puree, crushed, and chopped. I don't buy tomato sauce as it always has flavors added. I'd rather start with pure tomato flavor, and add my own seasonings This has worked well for me. On the quest for perfect, home-made tomato sauce, I even tried the expensive, canned San Marzano tomato products. I didn't really notice any difference.

Now for the tip; yesterday, it was decided that we would have pasta for supper. I needed to use my home-made Italian sausage, and DD had a bunch of tomatoes that needed to be used before going bad. She had a few store bought tomatoes on the vine, and a bunch of red, ripe grape tomatoes. She stated that the grape tomatoes made the best sauce ever. So, she put about 2 cups of grape tomatoes into the pot, along with three chomped tomatoes that had been on the vine. She simmered these down into a thick sauce, adding 3 cloves of fresh garlic, and nothing else. When the sauce was ready, she had me taste it. It was possibly the best from scratch sauce I've eaten, and I've eaten a lot of sauce in my lifetime.

My tip; Grape tomatoes are meaty, have superb flavor, and unless you are able to grow your own San Marzano tomatoes, and pick them ripe from the vine, you will get superior results using grape tomatoes to make a from-scratch sauce. Give them a try. I'm happy P.A.G. taught me this little not of tomato info.:mrgreen:

s\Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chief's Tip of The Day: Putting forth your best, to make like easier/better for others is it's own reward. You feel empowered, and energized, even if the effort is such that it leaves you physically drained. What you get back from the effort is gratitude, bonding with whoever you assessed, and a friend who just might assist you, if the need arises.

To make this work, it has to be done with no thought of any kind of recompense, and you have to genuinely want to be of help, emotionally, physically, and mentally. If you expect reward for your action, you will usually create a bad experience for all, including yourself. Be a good neighbor/brother/sister/friend; go out and make your own life better, and richer, by helping someone.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Learn from my errors

Chief's Tip of the Day:

My 2 most outstanding mistakes happened at my Mother In Law's home 43 years back. You can tell they affected me as I can still remember them in detail:LOL:..

1: I was making spaghettis with a meaty ragu where all ingredients, except the meat, and garlic, came from the garden. The tomatoes, onion, basil, and oregano
were at their peak. This was supposed to show off my cooking skills. The only thing I didn't have was fresh garlic. I reached into the spice cupboard and grabbed a bottle labled granulated garlic. Perfect. I tipped the plastic container to sprinkle in the garlic. To my horror, about a tbsp. of ground cinnamon erupted and fell into my ragu, completely ruining it. I'd heard of cinnamon used in some Mexican sauces, and so tried saving it. It ended up in the trash. Moral of the story, If working in someone else's kitchen, verify everything, as like my MIL, they may re-purpose containers, or not have the right tools for what you are doing.

2. The Webber Kettle was properly filled with a load of lump charcoal I ignited it, and prepared some ribeyes purchased from a meat market called Iowa Meat Farm Outlet. They sold premium, wet aged beef in vacuum sealed plastic. Supermarket meat usually required tenderizing. My standard tenderizing method was to liberally sprinkle on Adolph's Meat Tenderizer, and price the meat repeatedly with a fork, then let it sit for 15 minutes before grilling. I did this with these ribeyes. That was a mistake, as the steaks were already very tender. After cooking to a perfect medium rare, I served them to my family. The texture was like meat paste, not a good thig.
Lesson to be learned: don't assume anything. Know what you are working with so that you can obtain the results you desire.

I hope these shown mistakes can help new cooks not make them.

Chief's Tip of the Day:
Teach Your Children/Grand Children Well

I taught my own children, when they were very young, and now my grandchildren the same eating lessons.

1. Try everything, as you don't know if you like something, or not, until you try it.

2. Take only as much food as you think you can comfortably eat.

3. Be courteous. If there is something you really like at the meal, make sure everyone has had their fair share before indulging in more.

4. Eat from least to most favorite things on the plate. You will encourage the child to pace themselves, and be rewarded with the last bite being the best bite. If the best bite is desert, or a favorite food, then by saving room for it as the last bite, they won't be as apt to overfill the plate, and waste food.

In my home, when I was a child, I loved everything. And yet, there were just some things that were special at every meal. I have no idea where i got the idea to save the best for last, but it has served me well throughout my life.

5. No arguing, or horseplay at the table.

6. Encourage your children to play with their food, in appropriate ways of course. Don't scold them for stirring their ice cream into soft serve. The warmer ice cream is less apt to create brain-freeze, and is richer in flavor, as taste buds are more sensitive when the ice cream isn't as cold.

Let them rub two fingers together after eating fried chicken. It teaches lessons about viscosity, and friction. The memories of rubbing my fingers together actually helped me understand those principle years later in physics classes.:LOL:

Placing a finger over the free end of a drinking straw, immersed in liquid, lifting it from the liquid, and removing the finger teaches about vacuum, and air pressure. Of course, not every meal needs to be a science lesson. Sometimes, it's just fun to eat a cold slice of watermelon in the back yard, with a hose nearby, and spit seeds at each other.

7. Don't encourage behaviors where one dares another to do something, like eating the hottest peppers, or trying to chew a mouth stuffed with soda crackers. There are dares that I have seen that can cause physical harm. These can be dangerous, and can make someone feel like they are lesser.

Ok, that's it for now.

Chief's Tip of the Day

If working with hot peppers, or onions, wear disposable gloves. You never know when an eye, or other sensitive area is going to demand to be scratched, or when nature is going to call. Believe me, I have felt the pain, and it lasts about 15 minutes before it starts to subside:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

Tip 2: No matter how cuddly and playful bears appear in cartoons, and movies, don't throw snowballs at wild bears. Maybe throwing a big salmon at them might distract them, but i doubt it.. Me, I'm just going to keep a long distance from them.:D

Chief's Tip of the Day

Many of us have been blessed with family, a warm home, and enough to eat. My tip of the day comes from personal experience with complete strangers, who shared a warm home, and hot meal with me. I was so humbled by those people.

My tip, invite a widow, or person in need, someone you know, to share your warm home, and holiday meal with you, and your family. Give of yourself to those who have no one else to share the holidays with.

The act of kindness you give to others will bring a jy to you that is unmatched by any other feeling.

When those warm meals were shared with me, it wasn't even a holiday, nothing special, except the warm hearts of good people. You can see how it affected me, and made me a better person. I remember those times as vividly as if they happened yesterday, and it was over fifty years ago.

Chief's 2nd Tip of the Day

It's Sunday. Whatever that means to you, time with family, day of rest, exercise faith, make it glorious. To me, it's the first day of the new week, and a time for all of the above. Getting this day right sets the tone for the remainder of the week.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief's Tip of the Day:
Quick, true tale: I went to church one day, with my wife and children, and noticed an aged gentleman sitting by himself. I was in between jobs at the time, having just gotten out of the Navy, and was looking for work, doing odd jobs to pay the rent, and heat the home, and put food on the table for my wife, and at that time, two children. i asked the gentleman if he had family to share the Christmas with. He said he didn't. I invited him to share the meal with us. Later that evening, I told my wife that we would be having this man as a guest. She moaned and complained that times were tight, and that I had to cancel the invitation. Sadly, I contacted the man, and cancelled. He was saddened, as was I. The week after Christmas, the man died. I had lost a chance to practice what I believed to be the right course, and exercise my faith. In truth, we had enough food that we could have easily shared the meal.

Moral of the story, don't let others persuade you to not do something good, or charitable. That chance may slip away forever, leaving you feeling saddened, even angry at yourself for not taking the high road. Who knows the stories that the gentleman might have enriched our lives with, or the blessings that we might have received for being selfless.

Chief's Tip of the Day

Tip 1. When your keyboard starts accumulating debris between keys, like dust, breadcrumbs (you know you've eaten cookies, or sandwiches while using it:ohmy:), if you don't have canned air, use a soft bristle art paint brush. The soft, fine bristles get into the cracks and crevices to clean out the debris.

Tip 2. If you have an itch that you can't scratch, scratch somewhere where you can, even if that place is not itchy. You brain will focus on that scratched peace, and somehow, the other itch seems to go away, or at least lesson significantly.

Tip 3. As we get older, and our sight isn't what it used o be, that axiom taught in school - write, then proofread a minimum of five times before even thinking about submitting your work, becomes paramount. Then, step away for an hour or three, and go over it one last time. You'll be amazed at the errors you can often find, and have the chance to correct.

Tip 4. Working for long periods in one position, especially, looking down, can result in neck, and upper back pain. Take a break to move around, and maybe sit with your back against a chair to relax those muscles, and remove stress.

Chief's Tip of the Day
Relish the time you have spent in life. Ecstacy, tragedy, well being, sickness, pain, strength, everything we experience in life can be used to make us better, to teach us, to help us understand future challenges, and the challenges others may face.

Strive to make your mark on the world, and make it positive. The best feeling we can have is when giving of ourselves. Let your legacy be to be remembered as the person who is the great example for good.

Back
Top Bottom