Chief's Tip of the Day:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief's Tip of the Day:

Ultra-sharp Cheddar is best served at room temperature, in thin slices, with something fruity to cut the intense flavor. It is to be rolled slowly around the tongue, letting the flavor and aroma fill saturate the taste buds, and fill the sinuses. Small amounts will satisfy completely.

Great chocolate should be treated the same as the good cheddar, letting it fill the senses, often cut with something fruity. The intense flavor of great dark chocolate will also satisfy in small amounts.

Though toe jam is said to smell like some of the "stinky" cheeses, I suspect that it's not the same, or so I'm told. It probably doesn't melt as well as the cheese it may smell like, either. My advise is to avoid it all together.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya;' Chief Longwind of the North

I heard the other day on NPR that actually the bacteria used in making stinky cheese is fairly similar to the bacteria that causes feet to smell. But I don't recommend straining your curds and whey by using your old socks, even if they don't have holes in the toes.

NPR - What Grosses You Out

Chief's Tip of the Day: When serving long, stringy noodles with sauce, such as spaghetti, linguini, angel hair, etc., to children who are just old enough to eat it, to about five years of age, leave it long and teach them to properly twirl it on their forks. Have a camera, or better yet, a movie camera ready, to record the often times hilarious results. You will cherish the pictures after the kids are all grown up, with families of their own. And, it will give you perfect blackmail ammunition when they are teens, with a boyfriend/girlfriend over, and they are being obnoxious. Besides, think of the giigles from your grandkids as they witness their Mommy, or Daddy with an inverted bowl of spaghetti on top of his or her head, with noodles and sauce all over the face.:LOL: How much fun will that be?

Serious tip; Wash all veggies thoroughly, especially if they are to be consumed raw. Dangerous micro-organisms live in the soil, and can hide in the tiny crevices of cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and on the skins of most other veggies. Even bean sprouts can harbor them. There was a serious case of salmonella poisoning that hit Europe last year, where it was found that the critter lived inside the beans that had been sprouted. To sprout beans, you have to put them in a warm, wet environment, perfect conditions for the micro-beast to grow in.

Don't be afraid of food, just treat it with respect. Wash it before you eat it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, help me out here. How well do you have to wash a vegetable? And what do you wash them with? I use a salad spinner where I swirl the greens around in plenty of water but am unsure whether this is enough. And, I like raw carrots and have been buying organic but wonder if rinsing them with plain water, very well, is sufficient to clean them since they tend to have wrinkles, etc. I'm just too lazy to peel them. Haven't had any bad results yet, but am I asking for trouble?

speaking of uohill/downhill, always face downhill when you have to pee. if you face uphill, it runs back in your boots. :ohmy:
That's advice for men. For ladies: make sure feet are well apart and then face uphill or downhill. Do not pee while facing sideways to the slope. Basically, you don't want one foot downstream of the other, especially in sandals. :LOL:

That's advice for men. For ladies: make sure feet are well apart and then face uphill or downhill. Do not pee while facing sideways to the slope. Basically, you don't want one foot downstream of the other, especially in sandals. :LOL:
I mind one time at Rendezvous, I had to answer the call of nature, so I stepped out the back of the tent in the middle of the night and in the middle of a pouring rain. It was rainin' so hard, I couldn't tell when I was finished.

lol, i thought of that, but i doubted the wimmen here want any advice from me, so i left that out.

besides, you shouldn't be hiking in sandals...;)

taxlady said:

+1

And BT, I love my hiking sandals! (Keens).

Last edited:
not on the ankle busting sections of the appalachian trail - from the northern smokies, through pa. and into ny state you don't!

lol. they are nice for 'round the campfire at night, though.

i always pack a pair of extremely lightweight "water shoes"or sandals for wearing once camp is made.

not on the ankle busting sections of the appalachian trail - from the northern smokies, through pa. and into ny state you don't!

lol. they are nice for 'round the campfire at night, though.

i always pack a pair of extremely lightweight "water shoes"or sandals for wearing once camp is made.
I do too--it makes walking from my room to the pool and back again a lot more comfortable.

Chief's Tip of the Day: Children are like cattle. They have an instinctual need to try new things, and expand their boundaries. But they have too little experience to always make safe, or wise choices. It is our job as adults to encourage them to learn new things, but with boundaries to keep them safe, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. When we set up those boundaries, even though they may fight against them, it let's them know that we love them, and are looking out for them. It helps them feel secure, and safe. The trick is to expand those boundaries quickly enough to allow the child to grow to his or her full potential, while keeping them safe. That's a parent's job. One more thing; though they are like cattle, you can't milk you kids.:LOL:

When you are feeling especially mischievous, or need to use up over-abundant energy, sneak into the bathroom, when your child, or spouse is taking a hot shower. Then, dump a pitcher full of ice water over the shower curtain and run. Suppress laughter to the best of your ability so as to remain anonymous, if possible. Oh, and expect pay-backs.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Last edited:
Chief's Tip of the Day: Children are like cattle. They have an instinctual need to try new things, and expand their boundaries. But they have too little experience to always make safe, or wise choices. It is our job as adults to encourage them to learn new things, but with boundaries to keep them safe, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. When we set up those boundaries, even though they may fight against them, it let's them know that we love them, and are looking out for them. It helps them feel secure, and safe. The trick is to expand those boundaries quickly enough to allow the child to grow to his or her full potential, while keeping them safe. That's a parent's job. One more thing; though they are like cattle, you can't milk you kids.:LOL:

When you are feeling especially mischievous, or need to use up over-abundant energy, sneak into the bathroom, when your child, or spouse is taking a hot shower. Then, dump a pitcher full of ice water over the shower curtain and run. Suppress laughter to the best of your ability so as to remain anonymous, if possible. Oh, and expect pay-backs.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

If the child is exceptionally curious, hide all fire making materials, including the toaster.

Also, all children are pyromaniacs...they do not grow out of it, they just learn to play with fire safely.

lol, the bottle should come with a compass in the cap.

modern science is amazing.

my grandfather died from prostate cancer before much was known about it, and my dad has had it twice now.

bad times a'comin' for me.

Back
Top Bottom