"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hiking tip, carry bells and pepper spray for bears. How do you identify bear poop? It smells like pepper and if you kick it you hear bells.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If I may..Let me offer this helpful tip.
Every tool box needs to have two indispensable items..WD-40 and duct tape.
If it moves and it ain't supposed to move...use the duct tape.
If it's supposed to move and don't...use the WD-40.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
Master Chef

Now this is the DC I know and love. you make me so proud.

Tip of the day: The very best payback to someone who has offended you is forgiveness. It lightens your load, and opens the door toward friendship and understanding. It can even turn an enemy into a friend.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Cool topic ...

I believe forgiving is alot easier than actually forgetting ... Yes or No ?

True, one does feel better when they have lightened their load ...

Then, there could be distaste on the whole.

Turning an enemy into a friend is not too common ...

My viewpoint.

Once back stabbed, why go back for more ?

I am a street wise Manhattaner and city pavement native ... Difficult ...

Good philosphy, however, could it work in reality ?

Have nice August.
Margi.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Cool topic ...

I believe forgiving is alot easier than actually forgetting ... Yes or No ?

True, one does feel better when they have lightened their load ...

Then, there could be distaste on the whole.

Turning an enemy into a friend is not too common ...

My viewpoint.

Once back stabbed, why go back for more ?

I am a street wise Manhattaner and city pavement native ... Difficult ...

Good philosphy, however, could it work in reality ?

Have nice August.
Margi.
Though it doesn't always turn an enemy into a friend, it has for me.
There was a bully in my neighborhood that harrased my children. He was older than they were, and my children dreaded running into this clown. One day, I saw him in the market and verbally attacked him, telling him to leave my children alone. This didn't help matters at all. The harassment continued. Then, one day, I saw this young man walking the four miles it took to get to our town's only high school. I stopped and offered him a ride to the school, as it was on my way to work. I also apologized for berating him in public. We became friends after that. He went from being a bully, to being a protector for my children. He also came over and volunteered to help me weed my garden. He wanted to be around someone who treated him with the respect he didn't get at home. Eventually, he moved from the area. I hope that the example I was able to give helped turn his life around. I have learned first hand many lessons of this kind.

So, yes, I still remember how hateful he was. But I also know how good he became, at least for the rest of the time I knew him.

This is but one of many examples I could give. It doesn't always work, and we always have to watch out for ourselves. But we must also try our very best to be that good example that may help out someone who needs it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Chief...That is more than a tip for the day...It is a tip for a lifetime!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Chief: Appreciative of the ur profound insightfulness

Thank you for sharing the very heartfelt account with a misplaced child who resorted to bullying. Life has uncountable twists and curves ... Amazing sometimes ...

Truly appreciate the profoundness in which you had narrated your historical short story.

All my best for a wonderful August.
Margi.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Has anyone here, ever seen the Film, Water for Elephants starring Reese Witherspoon ?

I am asking, because, I am like Rosie, the Elephant, I never forget ... I can forgive, however, forgetting is alot tougher. This film should of won the Oscar for 2012 ... Absolutely phenomenal film ...

Kind regards. Margi.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Hiking tip, carry bells and pepper spray for bears. How do you identify bear poop? It smells like pepper and if you kick it you hear bells.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Though it doesn't always turn an enemy into a friend, it has for me.
There was a bully in my neighborhood that harrased my children. He was older than they were, and my children dreaded running into this clown. One day, I saw him in the market and verbally attacked him, telling him to leave my children alone. This didn't help matters at all. The harassment continued. Then, one day, I saw this young man walking the four miles it took to get to our town's only high school. I stopped and offered him a ride to the school, as it was on my way to work. I also apologized for berating him in public. We became friends after that. He went from being a bully, to being a protector for my children. He also came over and volunteered to help me weed my garden. He wanted to be around someone who treated him with the respect he didn't get at home. Eventually, he moved from the area. I hope that the example I was able to give helped turn his life around. I have learned first hand many lessons of this kind.

So, yes, I still remember how hateful he was. But I also know how good he became, at least for the rest of the time I knew him.

This is but one of many examples I could give. It doesn't always work, and we always have to watch out for ourselves. But we must also try our very best to be that good example that may help out someone who needs it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
This reminds me of a true story that happened in the little village in which my parents lived in Northern Ontario. The village was, for the most part, inhabited by native Americans in the winter, tourists from "down south" in the summer. My parents had bought a year-around cabin in the village, so lived there.

A 12-year old boy was 'tossed' out of the car after going to the laundry mat with his mother. His mother thoughtfully threw a garbage bag (one of those black ones) with his wet laundry in it. It was winter. He found a house that had an open garage and sought shelter there. The owners were in the town that is about an hour away doing their weekly grocery shopping. Imagine their surprise when they opened the door and found a boy!

(My father regretted that he had not yet had his garage built--for having a boy to do yard work, etc., was [and still is] his dream). After my father had the garage built, complete with a sleeping bunkie, we teased him that it was "boy bait" in that he was hoping to trap a boy of his own...sadistic, I know.

The family applied to social services to foster the lad (their own children were grown up and had children of their own--so they were "grandparent age"). They were acdepted, and he did yard work, snow shoveling, etc., for them and the neighbors (my dad included--my dad adored him). When the lad was 16, the family was approved to adopt him. When he turned 18, he hopped on a bus and found his mother. Had a chat with her--what he said, we don't know.

He returned to his adoptive family, applied for university, attended university, and graduated with honors. Today, he is a youth counselor. Who knows where he would be today if the family had not opened their heart and home to him, or, if he had ended up waiting in a garage or cottage that was closed up for the winter.