"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #201
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Every year I make the Christmas Wreath cake. I have always wanted to put coconut on the ouside to make it looke more like a wreath. I let my daughter talk me out of it every year. She hates coconut. Well, I stopped listening to her. Guess who eats most of the cake now.
Well done Ads, I like the way you think

Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #202
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Well done Ads, I like the way you think
For family I try to please. But that gets old after a while. My daughter loves oatmeal cookies with raisins. I hate oatmeal cookies and raisins. So as far as I am concerned she can have raisin cookies with oatmeal. But if it is something I like, to bad. I make it to my liking.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #203
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Chief's Tip of the Day;

When I'm feeling drowsy, and need to be alert, whether at work, or home, I eat a teaspoon of my home-made hot sauce, made with ghost peppers. It's not so hot as to scorch my mouth (I tolerate really hot peppers well), but if it were to go up my nose (like if I sneezed), or down the wrong hole, I know I would be in distress. My brain and body react to the pepper, making me wide awake and alert. The effect lasts for three or more hours.

I wouldn't recommend everyone using the Buhk Jalokia pepper sauce that I make, but as hot as you can tolerate. Your body will go on high alert after downing a teaspoon or so. And, it's healthy, full of good nutrients, and nothing to harm you. It's also non-habit forming. I know it works wonderfully for me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Actually, it is habit-forming The pain causes the brain to release endorphins, the pleasure chemical. People do become addicted to that.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #204
Chef Extraordinaire

If you are anemic and trying to add iron to your diet by including legumes, add freshly squeezed lemon (or lime) juice to the beans so that the iron in the beans can be absorbed by your body.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #205
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
If you are anemic and trying to add iron to your diet by including legumes, add freshly squeezed lemon (or lime) juice to the beans so that the iron in the beans can be absorbed by your body.
Nice.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North (now who says I'm longwinded?)

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #206
Chef Extraordinaire

After you've juiced a lime or lemon, toss the "skins" in a zippie and in the freezer. You can use them for zest or shove them in the cavity of a chicken when roasting (I only use the lemon skins for that).
Old 07-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #207
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
After you've juiced a lime or lemon, toss the "skins" in a zippie and in the freezer. You can use them for zest or shove them in the cavity of a chicken when roasting (I only use the lemon skins for that).
When a recipe calls for the juice of one lemon, I zest it first before I cut and squeeze out the juice. Then I put it in the container I have in the freezer. When I need to use some, I soak it in warm water to thaw and soften the zest. And if the recipe will allow it, I use the liquid in the recipe. I only soften the zest in just a couple of spoons full of water. The lemon flavor is very intense.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #208
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When a recipe calls for the juice of one lemon, I zest it first before I cut and squeeze out the juice. Then I put it in the container I have in the freezer. When I need to use some, I soak it in warm water to thaw and soften the zest. And if the recipe will allow it, I use the liquid in the recipe. I only soften the zest in just a couple of spoons full of water. The lemon flavor is very intense.
I do that, too. Sometimes, however, I'm just too lazy to do it and find the existing container of zest in the freezer, so I just toss the lemon skins in.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #209
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Nice tip, thanks CWS
Old 08-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #210
Master Chef

For everyone 35 and younger, or if secure enough, over; find a career that you love, even if it's carving wooden figurines. If you love skiing, become a ski instructor, or better yet, turn that mechanical engineering degree into a job designing skis. If you love fishing, teach yourself to make superior fishing rods that you can sell. Especially now that virtually anyon can set up shop on the WWW, there is a market for talent, and lots of ways to market into specialized areas. Just make sure your product is good.

If you settle, then you will merely be using your job to support other things, which will probably use up resources. If you can make money doing what you love, then you can bring that positive energy back to your spouse, and your children.

If you love helping those who are in distress, be a nurse.
If you love airplanes, design, build, fly, and sell RC planes and jets.

Really, you can be whoever you want to be. I wish I had realized this sooner in life. Now, there are too many money-humgry responsibilities to let go of the job I have. I've truly become a slave to the wage.

Don't do that. Though I enjoy working, it can become a grind. And yes, I do enjoy my job, most of the time.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote