Chief's Tip of the Day:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do not serve " long, stringy noodles with sauce, such as spaghetti, linguini, angel hair, etc.," Break then in thirds of fourths before cooking-- much more manageable.

Do not serve " long, stringy noodles with sauce, such as spaghetti, linguini, angel hair, etc.," Break then in thirds of fourths before cooking-- much more manageable.

My mother did that when we were kids. I think that is a good idea for children or for anyone with motor control problems. I guess it's useful for anyone who doesn't want to make the effort to eat carefully. It is some people's preference to have shorter pieces of long pasta. Also, someone might be cooking the pasta in a smaller pot, so shorter pasta is easier to get into the pot. But an unqualified "Do not serve", hmm.

My mother did that when we were kids. I think that is a good idea for children or for anyone with motor control problems. I guess it's useful for anyone who doesn't want to make the effort to eat carefully. It is some people's preference to have shorter pieces of long pasta. Also, someone might be cooking the pasta in a smaller pot, so shorter pasta is easier to get into the pot. But an unqualified "Do not serve", hmm.

I think that's just a kb0000 thing.. :rolleyes:;)

Ross

We've just had a thread about husking corn on the cob, the easy way. Soooo, my tips for the day:
  • 1; Save those husks. Let them dry. Use them for tamales, or to cover roasts to preserve moisture.
  • 2: The corn silk can be used to sweeten certain teas. Look online. There are recipes.
  • 3. Dry the kernel-free cobs for a week or so, or cut directly into quarter inch rounds, and place in a dehydrator. When the rounds are completely dry, melt paraffin in a disposable aluminum loaf pan. Place the dried cob rounds into the melted paraffin and let soak for thirty minutes. You will have waterproof fire starters that burn long enough to ignite your charcoal, campfire, fireplace logs, etc. These are very light weight, perfect for camping. No chemical aftertaste from lighter fluid. And while you have that melted paraffin, dip wooden kitchen match heads into the melted wax, to waterproof them as well.
  • 4. Coat the dry, and cleaned cobs with polyurethane. Let dry. Sand to make interesting decorations (I saw a fishing pole handle made from a corn cob. It was stunning.)
If all else fails, make a corn cob pipe;).

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief's Tip of the Day - GCC

Several years back, we had a regular monthly contest called Golden Chef Challenge. The challenges were based on an ingredient that had to be used in an appetizer, main course, sides, and desert. Creativity among members was nothing short of amazing.

Mt tip for the day: go back and look through the GCC Challenges, under cooking contests. You'll be glad you did.:mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief's Tip of the Day

It is best to paddle your canoe across a busy river, where lake freighters run up and down every fifteen minutes or so, in the daytime. Trying to cross in the dark of night, with no flashlights aboard, makes for some seriously vigorous paddling when a 1000 foot freighter is bearing down on you, and you know the pilot can't see you. I speak from experience.:ROFLMAO:

Cooking tip: Save yourself time and money by covering pots of liquid that are supposed to be brought to a boil. We often forget the little things when in the middle of a large cooking job, be it in the home, or elsewhere.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yes indeed: cover those pots. As those daring nighttime paddles, know this: even if a 1000-foot freighter can see you, there's not a damn thing he can do about it. When marine architects design 100-foot freighters, making them so they can turn on a dime in not Job One.

This is a tip I learned from Aunt Bea. When you get those plastic thingees that hold a loaf of bread closed, save them. They are great when you are washing dishes by hand. They work really well to get off that stuck on piece of food. I don't remember where @Aunt Bea posted it. If I did, I would have replied there. I have mentally thanked her dozens of times, if not more. It's not that I wouldn't have been able to get that piece of food off, but this tool works so much faster than scrubbing.

So, thank you @Aunt Bea

I love stuffed eggplant. I have always scooped out the innards first before any baking. Many recipes call for partially baking the eggplant then scoop. So I finally did it today.

I VOW I will NEVER EVER partially cook an eggplant with the intention to then scoop out the innards again!!!! What a chore!

Back
Top Bottom