"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #281
Head Chef

Chief - that is a powerful and wonderful post. I so agree about not procrastinating and to express your loving feelings whilst you can. To take things for granted is the norm and so easily done.

I was going to say the same as Dawgluver about not beating yourself up. OK you didn't do what you intended but think about all that you have probably done for this friend....the bigger picture. ♥

My mother is close to her final days now in a caring home. Whenever I leave her I am aware it could be the last time I see her so I always tell her I love her. I know she knows that and she responds the same but I think I would give myself a hard time if she died and I forgot to say this the last time I spoke to her.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #282
Chef Extraordinaire

I have always taught my children when they were old enough, "Remember, you don't want to have to live with the "ifonlies" for the rest of you life." If only I had ..... It came back to haunt me when my sister died.

I heard someone speak a nasty remark about my sister at her wake. It really upset me and I got up and walked out. I was standing in the hall trying to decide if I was going to stay or just walk out. Spike came out after me, and reminded me that I didn't want to live with the "ifonlies". If only I had ignored what I heard and go back in and say my final goodbye to my sister. I would have missed out on saying my final goodbye to her and to let her know how my heart was hurting. My walking out would have given me more "ifonlies" than I had realized.

We all are faced with "ifonlies" in life. Some can be avoided and some can't. But we don't know until it is too late.

So Chief, don't beat yourself up with the "ifonlies". Your friend knows your good heart. He understands.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #283
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
... "Remember, you don't want to have to live with the "ifonlies" for the rest of you life."...

Addie, what are the "ifonlies"?
Old 05-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #284
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Addie, what are the "ifonlies"?
ifonlies - If only's, as in, If only I'd told my Dad I loved him before he passed away; or If only I'd replaced that portion of roof before the wood rotted away.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #285
Master Chef

Chief's Tip of the Day

The four phrases every man must know and use - Yes Dear; You're right dear, I was not thinking clearly; I'm sorry (even if you know she was in the wrong); I love you (even when she's just berated you thoroughly for leaving the toilet seat up, or maybe, especially when she's just berated you thoroughly for leaving the toilet seat up.)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #286
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Personally, I would like to hear more: "Please", "Thank You" and "Excuse me".

Shrek has started just standing there when he wants to get by...or "I'm trying to get through here."
Old 08-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #287
Sous Chef

Put on your glasses if you use such before cooking is my greatest tip... otherwise strawberry juice bottle will look like the soy bottle and then things get interesting...
Old 08-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #288
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Put on your glasses if you use such before cooking is my greatest tip... otherwise strawberry juice bottle will look like the soy bottle and then things get interesting...
and on the same line - reread your recipe because if it says 1/2 cup salt... you might want to consider if it is a typo....
Old 08-19-2016, 02:35 AM   #289
Sous Chef

Ouch!

My favourite typo is Lobster Humidor , seen it in a cookbook and on the menu at fancy restaurant...