"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, the bottle should come with a compass in the cap.

modern science is amazing.

my grandfather died from prostate cancer before much was known about it, and my dad has had it twice now.

bad times a'comin' for me.
Screening, screening, screening...get a PSA now and yearly or every 2 years. Catch it early. Much easier to halt early on.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

pf, recent jama reports show that a psa isn't enough, and worse, is often false because of age and other involved male hormones, and then you worry that an underpaid pathologist is doing their job. far too much room for error for a slowly dibilitating disease. if you think the loss of your wee wee is insignificant, that is. even the old finger woohoo test isn't accurate. depends on if the doc is having a good day.

as of late, the thinking is that it's a crap shoot, but since it usually doesn't kill quickly, there's nothing to research.

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
pf, recent jama reports show that a psa isn't enough, and worse, is often false because of age and other involved male hormones, and then you worry that an underpaid pathologist is doing their job. far too much room for error for a slowly dibilitating disease. if you think the loss of your wee wee is insignificant, that is. even the old finger woohoo test isn't accurate. depends on if the doc is having a good day.

as of late, the thinking is that it's a crap shoot, but since it usually doesn't kill quickly, there's nothing to research.
I read the alarming studies, I also believe that it's the best chance you have of lucking out. I had a luck out with ovarian cancer and so did my Mom...you know the risks, you need to use any tool in your belt to help with finding. Looking further into it, at some point you might just hit a positive that could save you and other parts.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

yes, of course, i'll still get tested.

and hope i don't feel both of the doc's hands on my hips (only a guy can understand).

it's the delta in the psa number that matters., but even that needs multiple retesting before they hack out tge walnut. too many men go with the first bad result.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #45
Master Chef

All right. That's it. I don't want to wait. I want the "perfect, in the prime" resurrected body right now. I don't want to have to wait until I'm dead for a while before recieving it. So, PF, you were a nurese. Where are they stashing our upgraded bodies? BT, you put evil pictures in my mind, just evil. Now I might have to do something nice for someone, to clear everything out of my brain and start fresh. See what you do to me?

Shameless plug: Oh, and I don't know if I can get away with this. If not, mods, remove this sentence from the post.

Everyone, go out to the Lay's "Do Me a Flavor" site and vote for old G.w.North

Seeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
All right. That's it. I don't want to wait. I want the "perfect, in the prime" resurrected body right now. I don't want to have to wait until I'm dead for a while before recieving it. So, PF, you were a nurese. Where are they stashing our upgraded bodies? BT, you put evil pictures in my mind, just evil. Now I might have to do something nice for someone, to clear everything out of my brain and start fresh. See what you do to me?

Shameless plug: Oh, and I don't know if I can get away with this. If not, mods, remove this sentence from the post.

Everyone, go out to the Lay's "Do Me a Flavor" site and vote for old G.w.North

Seeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North
I'm still a nurse and I havent found those bodies, yet. Not sure I want one, I'm ready when the time comes.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

you don't get a body. that's the whole point of it.

you're just part of the whole. a big ball of everyone's energy and associated perceptions all mixed together. since reality is merely various time and space based perceptions, you are fulfilled with the true reality of everyone's lifetimes worth of perceptions all mixed together, thereby "understanding" everything all at once and not needing a time and space based reality like a physical being.

expecting a better physical place is no better than expecting 72 virgins awaitin' for you.

just my opiniin. don't crucify me for it (or i'll get to be a part of you before you get there, lol).
Old 08-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
you don't get a body. that's the whole point of it.

you're just part of the whole. a big ball of everyone's energy and associated perceptions all mixed together. since reality is merely various time and space based perceptions, you are fulfilled with the true reality of everyone's lifetimes worth of perceptions all mixed together, thereby "understanding" everything all at once and not needing a time and space based reality like a physical being.

expecting a better physical place is no better than expecting 72 virgins awaitin' for you.

just my opiniin. don't crucify me for it (or i'll get to be a part of you before you get there, lol).
You mean, after I move on from mortality, I'll never be able to eat great ice cream again, or slurp a phenomenal bowl of soup, or laugh out loud until my belly aches with my ancestors, DW or children, or grandchildren? If I'm going to end up an incorporeal part of some great cosmic consciousness, then why was I tantalized with the joys of mortality. And if I have to embrace the enitirety of human experience, then I will be forced to feel the hatred of evil persons who did and do unspeakable things in history, as well as having to yearn for experiences that I will never personally get to participate in, that have been enjoyed by countless others.

No, I want the physical reality, in a place where everyone behaves toward each other as they should. I want my own individuality, but want to know enough to keep from making the mistakes that my current existence is filled with.

But, we will just have to wait until that time comes. To speculate on what's to be after mortality is ended, is to speculate on the unknown and unknowable. I just hope that the whole reincarnation thing isn't going on. I'd hate to come back as a cockroach or something like that.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

i would. if it was in your kitchen.

i'd hide your pointy toed boots firrst, though.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
yes, of course, i'll still get tested.

and hope i don't feel both of the doc's hands on my hips (only a guy can understand).

it's the delta in the psa number that matters., but even that needs multiple retesting before they hack out tge walnut. too many men go with the first bad result.
Tom you could do what I do...
take a pair of channelocks with you,
Grab the doc by the hoohaas and ask him,
"Now Doc, we ain't gonna hurt each other are we?"

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote