Chief's Tip of the Day:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief, when I am going to make dough, the very first thinig I do is turn on the light in the oven. By the time it is ready to rise, the oven has reached temperature of about 85ºF. The heat of the bulb makes the oven just right for rising. Not too hot, nor to cold. The temp continues to rise to about 90ºF. There is a vent on my stove for the oven where some of the heat can escape. Thereby, it never gets too hot. :angel:

Nice! :punk:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief's Tip Of the Day:

When haaving freinds and or family over for barbecue, don't expect to lose weight if you consume Pork Spare Ribs, Stuffed Pork Tenderloin, corn on the cob, three bean salad, and macaroni salad, all in the same meal.

Do expect to see a great many smiles, and to have a smile on your face when the meal is completed.

Sometimes, just sometimes, it's worth it to relax the diet.:mrgreen::chef:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief's Tip Of The Day:

To familiarize yourself with herbs and spices, practice this exercise frequently. Walk to your spice rack, pantry, or spice drawer, close your eyes, and grab a container, any container. Open the lid and smell the contents. Try to identify the ingredients without opening your eyes. Before long, you will be able to distinguish the aromas, and correctly identify them.

When you have mastered this ability, do it every now and again, just to keep the knowledge fresh in your mind.

The skill will enable you to pick out the herbs and spices in foods from restaurants, or a friend's home, or allow you to play with the flavors in your mind before actually adding them to your own food creations. You will then begin to develop the intuition to create, or recreate foods that you enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief's Tip Of The Day:

To familiarize yourself with herbs and spices, practice this exercise frequently. Walk to your spice rack, pantry, or spice drawer, close your eyes, and grab a container, any container. Open the lid and smell the contents. Try to identify the ingredients without opening your eyes. Before long, you will be able to distinguish the aromas, and correctly identify them.

When you have mastered this ability, do it every now and again, just to keep the knowledge fresh in your mind.

The skill will enable you to pick out the herbs and spices in foods from restaurants, or a friend's home, or allow you to play with the flavors in your mind before actually adding them to your own food creations. You will then begin to develop the intuition to create, or recreate foods that you enjoy.

What a great idea!

Why didn't I think of this...

attachment

Attachments

• handy tip.jpg
    handy tip.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Chief's Tip of the Day

To immerse yourself in amazing music, in a place where there are no distractions, with good headphones, is to experience a little of what Heaven has to offer.

I just got through listening to a piece from the Progressive Rock band, Yes, a band I have loved since the first time I heard them way back in the early 70's. This particular piece, South Side of the Sky, Live at Montreau, is a particularly rich and masterful selection. Here's a link: South Side of the Sky - Yes (Live at Montreux) - YouTube just in case your interested. I listened to the whole piece. It's long, and it's brilliant. Yes is the only band I have ever heard that I can listen to for 5 hours straight. I proved that to myself on the trip to visit my DD's and DGD's last weekend.

Give this selection a listen, and see if this tip is as good for you as it is for me. But you have to really listen to it, watch the performers work, try to fathom the intricacies of the music. This isn't for casual listening, my friends. This music can remove you from planet Earth, and for a short time, transport you to somewhere better.

Watch Steve Howe's fingers fly across the fretboard of his guitar. It's no wonder that Gibson named a guitar after him. And Rick Wakeman's mastery of the keyboards is unequaled, even by Keith Emmerson, who I also love as a musician. Put that all together with Chris Squire's bass guitar artistry, and Jon Anderson's unique voice, and vocal delivery. I can't remember the drummer's name, but he is famous for his jazz percusion style, and is an integral part of the Yes sound.

Tell me, have you ever heard a more unique Sound, or more recognizable talent?

After just listening to the music, and being completely blown away yet again by Yes songs, I had to share my feelings with my friends. The music is powerful stuff, at least for me.

Can you tell that I love this band, even after 40 years?

Last edited:
Chief's Tip of the Day

To immerse yourself in amazing music, in a place where there are no distractions, with good headphones, is to experience a little of what Heaven has to offer.

I just got through listening to a piece from the Progressive Rock band, Yes, a band I have loved since the first time I heard them way back in the early 70's. This particular piece, South Side of the Sky, Live at Montreau, is a particularly rich and masterful selection. Here's a link: South Side of the Sky - Yes (Live at Montreux) - YouTube just in case your interested. I listened to the whole piece. It's long, and it's brilliant. Yes is the only band I have ever heard that I can listen to for 5 hours straight. I proved that to myself on the trip to visit my DD's and DGD's last weekend.

Give this selection a listen, and see if this tip is as good for you as it is for me. But you have to really listen to it, watch the performers work, try to fathom the intricacies of the music. This isn't for casual listening, my friends. This music can remove you from planet Earth, and for a short time, transport you to somewhere better.

Watch Steve Howe's fingers fly across the fretboard of his guitar. It's no wonder that Gibson named a guitar after him. And Rick Wakeman's mastery of the keyboards is unequaled, even by Keith Emmerson, who I also love as a musician. Put that all together with Chris Squire's bass guitar artistry, and Jon Anderson's unique voice, and vocal delivery. I can't remember the drummer's name, but he is famous for his jazz percusion style, and is an integral part of the Yes sound.

Tell me, have you ever heard a more unique Sound, or more recognizable talent?

After just listening to the music, and being completely blown away yet again by Yes songs, I had to share my feelings with my friends. The music is powerful stuff, at least for me.

Can you tell that I love this band, even after 40 years?

Thanks for sharing the clip. YES is one of my all-time favorites too. I've always thought that "Progressive rock" is too limiting a category for them since they incorporate elements of many styles into their music. Here is a must see for any fan....

Yes: 35th Anniversary Concert: Songs from Tsongas

Chief's Tip of the Day

When trying a new technique for the first time, it is better to invent the axle that makes the wheel useful, than inventing the wheel.

What I mean is that new techniques involve the use of knowledge we may or may not have, and often times, that knowledge is used in unfamiliar ways.

Take for instance, roasting a chicken, in a CI dutch oven, in a bed of hot coals from a campfire. How do you determine the cooking temperature in the pot? If you have no previous point of reference, you are guessing at the time and the temperature. This makes it difficult to roast that bird to perfection. You might know the perfect final meat temperature that you are trying to achieve, but how do you gauge how to get it?

Do a bit of research before attempting something brand new to you. Often times, someone else has done the hard part, and figured out how to get the results you are looking for. After you become familiar with the basic technique, that's when you build the axle, that makes the wheel useful. You add the herbs, spices, veggies, whatever you want to that CI dutch oven, confident enough, and knowledgeable enough to have a good chance at success.

I know my way around an oven, and the things cooked in it well enough that I can play loose and free with recipes for just about any pastry, pie, or cake, not to mention meat and veggie preparations. It's rare that I don't get the results I'm trying to achieve with my experiments.

But, put me on the beach in Hawaii, give me a pig, and ask me to roast it at a luao, and I have as much chance at being successful the first time, as I have of walking on the moon tomorrow. I would need some serious instruction.

I've been re-inventing the wheel for a long time. It's taught me a lot about cooking. But sometimes, it's just a lot easier to use someone else's wheel, and perfect it's use, or create the axle that makes that wheel more useful.

Back
Top Bottom