Chief's Tip of the Day:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief's Tip of the Day

Don't be afraid to change it up. I have made baked beans or something similar for a long time. My wife loves them. My kids enjoy them. I really like them too.

Last night, I decided to make beans from scratch, using dried navy beans, brown sugar, a little pork, onion, and prepared mustard, like I usually do. I was out of molasses, which i really like in my beans. Sometimes, I use maple syrup instead. I like that version equally well. I didn't have either. Also, I didn't want to wait hours for the beans to cook. So I added a 1 pound package of dried beans to my pressure cooker, and covered with water, plus two inches. I cooked them for 45 minutes and they were perfectly tender.

Now it was time to turn them into baked beans. So I peeled, then threw a whole vidalia onion into the blender and liquified it. I added it to the beans, along with 1 cup of brown sugar, and a teaspoon of liquid smoke. Throw in 1/4 cup of tomato puree and you have what I had.

After tasting the beans, I realized that there was no pork flavor, or salt in the beans. No pork was available (2 days before payday). Turkey shares some flavor characteristics, and so I added some Better Than Bullion - turkey flavor, to the beans. and a half tsp. of mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke. It really added a great flavor. After that, with no molasses in the house, I decided to add maple flavor, but had no maple syrup. I did have some dried candy-cap mushrooms. I added 3 mushrooms to the pot.

I put the lid back onto the pressure cooker and brought it up to pressure over medium heat, and cooked for 30 minutes more, to force the flavors to blend, and soak into the beans. I released the pressure, and tasted the beans. They were very good. I placed them into a suitable container, and into the fridge for today.

After church, I wanted some beans for lunch. I heated up a bowl-full and tasted them. I still wasn't quite satisfied. So, a tsp. of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce added to the beans added just the right flavor. The beans needed that little bit of acidity to balance the flavors.

The moral of this story is that I changed things, fairly dramatically to a tried and true recipe, and it created a very good batch of beans. Don't be afraid to change things up. You might just be surprised how good whatever it is you are making will turn out.

There is never just one way to make a particular recipe taste great. Change things up, both for variety, and to expand your culinary expertise.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh Chief, I just love kitchen experiments. Sounds like this one turned out great!:yum:

I wish my hubby did things like this in the kitchen but I'm the only one who won't cook out of a box. I don't eat too many things that he cooks.

I wish my hubby did things like this in the kitchen but I'm the only one who won't cook out of a box. I don't eat too many things that he cooks.

When the kids were small, sometimes box food came in handy. But not often. They preferred home made baked beans to canned one. Homemade mac and cheese to what was in the box.

I used to have friends that would complain that it was time to go home and start supper. "I hate making supper. It is always rush, rush." If you start early enough, there is no rush. I used to start around 3:30 to have supper on the table by five. There were no canned veggies. I had the kids in the kitchen helping with the veggies. Snapping the beans, getting the peas out of the pod, etc. They thought it was great and had a fun time. I like to believe that it is the reason all of them love to cook today. Plus their father used to take them to work with him in the summer. He would have them doing small chores in the kitchen where he was working. So they were always around making food. :angel:

So wonderful that you were able to be home at that hour to start supper early Addie. I love the days that I have that kind of time, and cook everything from scratch. I do have lots of frozen veggies to quickly fix when I can't get home so early.

So wonderful that you were able to be home at that hour to start supper early Addie. I love the days that I have that kind of time, and cook everything from scratch. I do have lots of frozen veggies to quickly fix when I can't get home so early.

It was at a time that most mother's didn't work outside the home. The only time I did that is when my husband would be sick or have gotten hurt on the job. Then I would go to work to supplement the workman's comp. Once that first paycheck came in, I would quit. I would much rather be at home. I always went for a boring factory job. The pay was always higher than an office one. And clothes didn't matter. I used to go to work in a house dress. I always worked the third shift. That shift differential ten cents made a difference. I never worked longer than three months. I hated factory work, but loved the extra money. :angel:

My mother always worked when I was young & as I mentioned before...... she was a horrible cook. I didn't know veggies came from anything other then a can. I didn't know that I liked steak until I started to waitress at the age of 17. I was 18 when a chef made me a medium rare steak & he slapped my hand when I reached for the ketchup bottle Lol

Ham steaks were always burnt. We had mashed potatoes every single evening. Fries were a special treat. We never had rice because my dad was raised on it so it was no allowed on our table. We also were never allowed to have buttered noodles or any kind of side pasta dishes.

She would make a box of Rice A roni beef flavored rice on those rare occasions when my dad was off on a business trip. I loved that stuff, she didn't mess that up!

I may eat mashed potatoes once or twice a year. I do like potato filling but even that is something I only eat a few times a year.

My husband, on the other hand, loves that disgusting hamburger helper even though he adds a lot of stuff to it. If I would eat it I would rather have it just like they tell you to make it from the box & not with all the stuff he adds to it.

He makes a lot of frozen pizza & I am not much of a pizza fan to begin with.

He took my homemade spaghetti sauce that I made from my garden last year & mixed a jar of premade stuff to it. I left him no in no uncertain terms that that will never happen again.

He'll make pierogie's & even frozen rice. Yuck

Last edited:
I loved being at home. And I loved cooking good meals for the kids. Scratch cooking was mostly the rule in my house. As a wedding present, my first husband introduced me to his copy of the first edition of "The Joy Of Cooking." Supper was a time when there were absolute rules. That is where my kids learned their table manners. No elbows on the table. Chew with your mouth closed. No talking with food in your mouth, etc. The table was always set, and they always used napkins. Supper was always on the table at five o'clock sharp. That way if any of the kids had something like baseball to go to, they had time. And it still left time for homework. My kids have happy memories of mealtime.

Secretly, I enjoyed having the whole family together and watching them eat a good meal. :angel:

Addie; I've always been the cook in our house, and the one who worked outside the house. My DW isn't as adventurous in the kitchen, and shortly after we got married, she tired of my prodding her to try this, and change that. She finally threw up her hands and said "You do it! I quit.", and I've been doing it ever since. So, even though a person might work, good, from scratch meals can still be made, and supper served by 6 p.m. I know this because I did it every night, after work.

Like you, I always tried to make the meals as good as i could, for DW, and my kids. They began cooking with me at an early age, and are all great cooks in their own right. We never had trouble with any of them at the table. They ate everything that was put in front of them, at least once, and without complaint. There's not a picky eater among them. DW on the other hand...

They're raising their kids the same way, with wholesome, home made food, usually from scratch. And though I broadened the family's food variety frommeat & potatoes, and sometimes spaghetti or chili, or soup, to virtually anything i could find, they've gone two steps further still, thanks to the internet, and living in areas that I hadn't lived.

I'm happy with the results of my efforts. I'm very tight with my adult kids, and my grandkids. What more can I ask for?

Chief, sounds like you did it right. It is always a good feeling knowing that your kids did it better than you did in life. That is the way it should be.

I have four kids that I can say "I am very proud of you." And it is something I have said aloud to each of them. The Pirate closes every phone conversation withh "I love you." He says this to everyone. As a result, the rest of the family is now doing it also. Nice words to hear from anyone. :angel:

You two sound like you really did right by your family. My home was broken before it was the norm. I was the unwanted child (pre- birth control) & I was told how unwanted I was.

I've been on my own since 14 basically. I was a runaway at most of my 14th year & I finally ran away, for good, on March 20, 1980. I never signed myself out of school. I lied about my age, got a full time job & rented a one room apartment & I have been on my own ever since.

I think I did pretty good considering my circumstances. I don't blame my parents for anything I did & I tried saying I was sorry for my actions a few times but they never said sorry for the abuse & lack of love they never gave me so they aren't in my life anymore. They were toxic for me. My mother has now passed on & I forgave her for everything before she passed but I cannot forgive my father for the way he treated me, ever. Everything was my fault as far as he was concerned & he has his head so full of lies about things that never happened that I could care less when he does go on.

Now, I am married to a man who had a Brady Bunch upbringing. His family is/was fantastic to me. I miss my late FIL & late MIL so very much. They were good people. I took care of his mother for close to 3 years before we lost her & I still choke up when I think about her. She died on Christmas 2006 so when the holidays come around I get grumpy.

You two sound like you really did right by your family. My home was broken before it was the norm. I was the unwanted child (pre- birth control) & I was told how unwanted I was.

I've been on my own since 14 basically. I was a runaway at most of my 14th year & I finally ran away, for good, on March 20, 1980. I never signed myself out of school. I lied about my age, got a full time job & rented a one room apartment & I have been on my own ever since.

I think I did pretty good considering my circumstances. I don't blame my parents for anything I did & I tried saying I was sorry for my actions a few times but they never said sorry for the abuse & lack of love they never gave me so they aren't in my life anymore. They were toxic for me. My mother has now passed on & I forgave her for everything before she passed but I cannot forgive my father for the way he treated me, ever. Everything was my fault as far as he was concerned & he has his head so full of lies about things that never happened that I could care less when he does go on.

Now, I am married to a man who had a Brady Bunch upbringing. His family is/was fantastic to me. I miss my late FIL & late MIL so very much. They were good people. I took care of his mother for close to 3 years before we lost her & I still choke up when I think about her. She died on Christmas 2006 so when the holidays come around I get grumpy.

Don't know what your religious persuasion is, and am not going to preach. Let's just say that I believe there was a savior, who overcame death for us, and that we will be able to see our loved ones again. And that makes the holiday very good for me, no matter what happens in mortal life. Maybe it can help you too.:)

Chief Longwind's Tip of the Day

It is far better to be rich in family, experience, and memories than to be rich in materials or wealth. I have lived for 57 years now, and have enjoyed experiences that many will never experience. I have gotten a ride in a U.S. Navy jet, have ridden a motorcycle off of a cliff, have enjoyed scuba, downhill skiing, tobogganing, snowmowbililng, horseback riding, bull-fighting an ornery Angora Goat, hunting fishing, archery, dirt-biking on ridiculously challenging hills, and on, and on, and on. But what makes life worth living, is the freinds that I experienced all those things with. And better still, The extraordinary relationships I have with my wife and children.

If I had to choose between all of the wealth, and being single, or being flat broke, but with my family, I would choose my family.

I could have remained at one job, and been retired by now. That job took me away from those I love too often, and for too long. Instead, I chose to watch my children grow, to support my partner in life (DW), and to immerse myself in their lives. I am richer than the wealthiest of men.

Tip 2: A good paying job that you love, is far better than a great paying job that you hate. Most of us end up somewhere in the middle.

Chief's Tip of the Day

Many years ago, when I was a young sailor, and had only been married a couple of years, a couple of friends, and a guy I only knew because he worked in the same shop as I did, wanted to come over and have a friendly game of poker at my home. This was a very unique experience for me as I don't gamble, though I knew the game. I said ok. The night came, and the three men showed up. The guy I didn't really know very well, as he walked into my home, turned to me, and with a very stern face said, and I quote, "I get ugly when I loose." He was trying to intimidate me. And though I was in spectacular physical shape in those years, and had judo training, I am not a brawler. Rather, i am a peacemaker. And so, he was on the edge of intimidating me, in my own home, in front of my wife. Fortunately, the other guests let him know that his behavior would not be tolerated. In retrospect, I believe I should have responded thusly - "Well you must lose an awful lot then. "Cause you're ugly all the time."

My tip of the day; Don't let fools intimidate you. Usually, bullies will back down. In fact, every time I have stood up to a bully, they backed down. In that instance, I could have turned his own intimidation against that clown, and gained respect. On the other hand, I like that I'm a peacemaker rather than a trouble maker.

I agree, Chief. I got free beers from bartenders often because I'd see friends about to have a fight and just would walk between them and stop, giving them a moment to think about it.

It worked every time.

I agree, Chief. I got free beers from bartenders often because I'd see friends about to have a fight and just would walk between them and stop, giving them a moment to think about it.

It worked every time.

I like that. Sometimes it just pays to be a peacemaker. One time, in this neighborhood I used to live in, with my DW and kids, we had a huge playground area for the kids, a big open field that was about the size of a football field. One day, I was out back, getting ready to do some household chore, and I noticed two, young, teenage girls begin to fight with each other. Now I'm not talking about a shouting match, but a downright brawl. Fists were flying. By the time I sprinted from where I was to where they were, a crowd of about seven or eight adults had circled the girls to watch the spectacle. I made my way between them, and broke up the fight, sending both girls in opposite directions. Can you believe that I was fussed at by the adults for breaking up their night's entertainment? I was shocked.

Sadly, this wasn't the first, and probably won't be the last time I witness bad behavior by those who are supposed to be setting the example. It seems that our civilization is becoming more desperate by the minute, even though I know there have always been pinheads around.

Chief Longwind's Tip of the Day: Take the high road. It might just get you a free beer (though I never touch the stuff). Better yet, it might just set an example that can help someone improve their own life. And never puff yourself up for any good thing you have done. Puffing up merely pops your buttons, exposing parts of you no one wants to see.

Chief, those folks who fussed at you are the same ones who yell "Jump!" to the poor soul on the ledge. :angel:

Chief's Tip of the Day, Natural Stimulant

Chief's Tip of the Day;

When I'm feeling drowsy, and need to be alert, whether at work, or home, I eat a teaspoon of my home-made hot sauce, made with ghost peppers. It's not so hot as to scorch my mouth (I tolerate really hot peppers well), but if it were to go up my nose (like if I sneezed), or down the wrong hole, I know I would be in distress. My brain and body react to the pepper, making me wide awake and alert. The effect lasts for three or more hours.

I wouldn't recommend everyone using the Buhk Jalokia pepper sauce that I make, but as hot as you can tolerate. Your body will go on high alert after downing a teaspoon or so. And, it's healthy, full of good nutrients, and nothing to harm you. It's also non-habit forming. I know it works wonderfully for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom