"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #31
Senior Cook

So lulu, big sis shoved you down the stares then laughed and made you play with electric sockets ? You need a hug.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
..."why do you think we had kids"...
That struck a chord! Dad would send you to fetch and if you complained, that's what you heard.

I also had to help with certain housecleaning tasks. I had to dust the venetian blinds as I was the only one tall enough to reach the tops. Sis did most of the housework.

We never owned our own home so I never had to address cutting the grass or raking leaves.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
My sister is almost twenty years older than me. As a sweetener for losing only "child" status she got to name me. Oh deah! My "real life name" is very individual! She and I were actually quite close when I was little....I think she really was my primary carer till I was about 4, when she left home it was like losing a parent.

But, she would have been mad not to make the most of her age and size advantage! The worst thing I remember now is she used to put me in our big old ali Baba type laudry basket and push me over the top stair and I would go clattering down. She convinced me it was a game at the time but it terrified me and I played a long just cause I loved her so. I shudder now at the damage she could have done.

I did chores, I think every kid should have responsibilties. From when I was very little I was the shoe cleaner....every weekend everybody's shoes. It was fun, and I am really good at cleaning shoes now. Other jobs thatr were mine when I was small were cleaning all the door handles and knobs and light switches and sockets. Cleaning the front porch and cleaning the bathtub. Those three jobs were always mine and Saturdays we tended to pull together in the house, Sundays the garden. It was ok. I think if you have to be involved in the housework you are less likely to leave a huge mess behind you.
Do you remember that white liquidy stuff in the bottle for whitening shoes? It had a sponge built into the top??

I remember having to clean the shoes, too..
Old 09-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #34
Senior Cook

I remember that. Don't they still sell it ??? I had white "patent leather shoes" I wore to Church.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #35
Head Chef

I think I am related to most of you!!!! Besides the household chores, babysitting younger siblings, taking the punishments for said siblings; I also had feeding chores and chores to do on the ranches we lived on. My first stepfather was of the opinion that the reason you had kids was for free labor on the ranch and boy, did he work ya!!!! At 5 years old, I was working at least 8 hours a day in the saddle. Would come home and could hardly move but had to help my Mom with the stuff she wasn't able to get done by herself (sister just younger than I, never did have the responsibilities that I had). I look back now and you know what? I am glad that I do have those times in my life; I did learn quite a bit and feel sorry for so many of the kids today that might never know what a "good day's work" really is. One thing that my Mom and I talked about a couple of weeks ago was how her mother (my late Grandmother) would slap us in the face and tell us not to cry!! I mean, huh? Of course if we managed to not cry, she would do it again to make us cry. Now that in my mind, is child abuse.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #36
Senior Cook

For whatever reason, mah dad would line up mah sisters n I (oldest to youngest) and ova his knees, spank the tar out of us with his skinny leather belt. My older sisters would always begin to cry, big time, before they even got spanked. Me, being the youngest would set mah jaw and never cry. Because of this, my sisters spankings were very short while, by virtue of my stubborn determination, dad would pound on mah butt till I thought I would lose it. Karen n Doris would cry even harder and beg me as they watched, "cry bobby, cry, just cry and he'll stop !!!". It made me so mad. Dad had to know that he either had to stop or do real damage. He was both a fine man and father but someone to fear when you did wrong.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Oh, yes, I remember solid-state channel knobs on TV.

When I was little, I had to clean my bedroom before I could watch any cartoons on Saturday mornings. I got in the habit of cleaning my room up after I went to my room for the night on Friday, but before I went to sleep. That way I could spring out of bed at 6 am, bounce down the stairs, get a bowl of cereal, and turn on the tube. I knew that the channel would already be set to the one I wanted to watch, as I had snuck downstairs after my parents went to bed and set the knob to the appropriate channel while the TV was off :)

I remember the white shoe polish with the sponge tip; I had to use that stuff on my band shoes during marching season.

When I was older, in my teens, I had quite a bit of chores to do. Cleaning house, dishes, mowing the lawn, etc. Of course, as long as I got that stuff done, my mother allowed me to go fishing as much as I wanted.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Allen, u had the good life
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Remember these? We called them oxfords when I was was in grade school and all the kids wore them. I had the back and white ones. A bottle of white shoe polish with the sponge tip was always at hand to keep the white, white.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

We called these Saddle Shoes. Never owned a pair.