"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Liver did it to me also, especially when served with buckwheat pancakes (they were a puky shade of green). I now love the pancakes, but still gag on liver.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Master Chef

What's interesting is that I LOVE chicken livers, & also really enjoyed Italian-style stuffed pork livers when they were sometimes available at - believe it or not - a particular Pathmark supermarket back in NY.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Head Chef

Another scary memory were some hamburgers with peanuts in them that Dad
made once. EWWWWWWW.

My parents were the "sit there till you eat it" variety, so I got good at stuffing food into my pockets.
Once I forgot to empty them, and Mom got a handful of moldy boiled potatoes when checking the pockets before laundry.
I got.... boiled potatoes for dinner that night!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Canned tomato soup, to this day I can't stand the smell. Also the ginger snap and raisin sauce that is served with sauerbraten or ham steak. A like ham steak and the sauerbraten roast but not the sauce
Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
Sous Chef

In my childhood chowmein was newly introduced and I was used to love chowmein. ( Now I don't like it)
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Canned beets. Those are the nastiest things in the world and my mother served them WEEKLY. I could never subject my daughter to those horrid things, EVER.

YUCK. Oh, YUCK. Now I need to go get another beer to get the memory of the taste out of my mouth.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #17
Sous Chef

I still love chips(the potato ones that come in packets). My mother wanted to preserve my teeth, so as junk food I got chips rather than sweet things.

I still love eating those fat and MSG loaded chips that are the enemy of my waistline, but my teath are in almost perfect condition.

Mel
Old 02-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I remember my grandmother making me mix cooked carrots with my mashed potatoes. yuk!!! See I hated cooked carrots but loved mashed potatoes, she figured if I mixed them together I'd like them. NO WAY NO HOW!!!! She was also the stay there till it's gone type. I use to hate going there knowing I had to eat dinner.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

My mom made corned beef hash exactly once - we all complained so much, she never made it again, but I'll never forget it.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Coleslaw or anything with cabbage. I had bunnies and when I learned that cabbage killed rabbits I had a fit and would never eat it. Now I can't even allow coleslaw on my plate and apparently in the south they like to put coleslaw on a lot of things like burgers and it seems to be the side of choice and if you don't say "don't allow it near my plate" it shows up. Gives me shivers.