Childhood Food memories.. BAD ONES!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to rain on your cabbage-hate parade Callisto, but as someone who bred & raised rabbits for many, many years, let me tell you that cabbage specifically DOES NOT kill rabbits. Where the heck did you hear that one? Any type or amount of green food, fed in anything other than "treat" size amounts, will give domestic rabbits scours (aka diarrhea) & can make them ill &/or kill them. That includes lettuce, wild greens - ANY green food. Brassicas, like cabbage, broccoli leaves, etc., etc. - are further limited due to their gas-producing qualities. But they definitely don't "kill" rabbits. I fed my "herd" cabbage all the time.

Unless you yourself don't like the taste of cabbage, I can't understand why you "shiver" at the thought of eating it if it's just due to a totally incorrect piece of information. As a member of the brassica family, it's one of the most nutritious vegetables around. And yes - here in the south coleslaw is popular, & I wouldn't be able to enjoy a pulled-pork or pulled-chicken barbecue sandwich without it. Not to mention as a side to fried oysters. And let's not forget butter-braised sliced cabbage to accompany corned beef. Or in soup. Yum!!

Liver. I can remember crying throughout the entire meal cause I had to eat at least 1/2 of it. Now, I will not even allow that stuff in my home. yuk
Yep, totally with you on this. My parents would fry this stuff up (with onions) for a snack in the middle of the night after a long night of playing cards. My bedroom was up by the kitchen. Lord have mercy. And they would also fry oysters in the middle of the night, too. Blech. And let's not even talk about Brussels sprouts that have been boiled to death.

Can't really remember any bad memories. Although I think my mother was terribly misguided when it came to doneness. You could shingle a roof with her steaks. She cooked/grilled them to death. She also "warmed up" a Sara Lee coffee cake every Sunday morning until it was so dry we nearly gagged on it. The lightly drizzled icing on it practically disappeared after she'd heated it it up. I still don't know what it was supposed to be like when properly warmed up. I'm not sure Sara Lee still makes it. If so, I'd buy one and see.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom