"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Head Chef

Childhood Food memories.. BAD ONES!!

So what were some of the childhood traditional dinners that you HATED?

I have one: Manhattan Clam Chowder.

My parents only made it once a year, thank goodness, because I
absolutely hated it. I like New England style, but the thin tomatoey
stuff they made was just NASTY.

And here's the worst part:
1. We HAD to eat a bowl of it before we could leave the table.
2. It was served on Christmas Eve, before we opened presents.

What's yours?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Everymom

Oooooo! My Dad made the best manhattan clam chowder EVER. But it sure wasn't watery.

I think any traditional meal that included mashed potatoes would be on my ICK list. There are stories about me as a kid being forced to choke down mashed potatoes and ... well ... returning those mashed potatoes rather spectacularly at the table. Its a texture thing. I'm a bit better now. I can eat them about twice a year.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I don't remember any really, but could be that I was so traumatized that I blocked it out completely lol! Maybe pumpkin. My family would just boil it and serve it, don't remember what it was served with.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Cauliflower cheese. I still don't eat it.
There is also my grandmas pasta salad which aint like any pasta salad anyone else ever made.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Mashed potatoes. I could not stand them. My parents would make me sit at the table and eat them, telling me I was going to dry up and blow away. I would sit and sit, and they would get cold and disgusting. I usually won and didn't have to eat them.

What I learned later in life was that I don't actually hate mashed potatoes--just my mom's. So dry and pasty and bland, ick! (Don't tell her I said that).

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Master Chef

Oatmeal. I have never been much on breakfast, but my mother insisted I have a nutritious meal before I went to school, and oatmeal was big on her list. Every time I tried to take a bite, I'd gag. She claimed that was all in my mind, and would insist that I not leave the table until I'd eaten the stuff. Of course the colder it got, the worse it tasted.
Finally one day, my dad, who worked second shift, happened to get up during one of these stand-offs, and told her to quit making me eat that stuff..."It tastes like snot," he said.

And that was the end of that. Thank you Daddy!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Head Chef

Liver. I can remember crying throughout the entire meal cause I had to eat at least 1/2 of it. Now, I will not even allow that stuff in my home. yuk

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Oatmeal. I have never been much on breakfast, but my mother insisted I have a nutritious meal before I went to school, and oatmeal was big on her list. Every time I tried to take a bite, I'd gag. She claimed that was all in my mind, and would insist that I not leave the table until I'd eaten the stuff. Of course the colder it got, the worse it tasted.
Finally one day, my dad, who worked second shift, happened to get up during one of these stand-offs, and told her to quit making me eat that stuff..."It tastes like snot," he said.

And that was the end of that. Thank you Daddy!

Great story, Connie! I wish I could have had that kind of intervention for butternut squash. A consistent and reliable way to get me to puke at the dinner table.

Now, I love it! Go figure.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Gosh, I can't remember any bad food memories. I remember my mom cooking stuff that I wish she wouldn't...like Shepherd's Pie...but then when I ate it I loved it. I remember eating stuff because I knew it disgusted my mom!!!!!!!!!! ...like very rare steak, smoked oysters, sardines... LOVED sending her screaming out of the room.

I can't think of one thing... this will be on my mind all day!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Master Chef

My parents were/are fabulous cooks, & as such we grew up trying all sorts of things that no else our age had ever heard of, never mind eaten - lol! My parents were great in that they never forced us to eat anything, BUT we had to taste everything once before we were allowed to decline. We weren't allowed to make that decision based on what something sounded like or looked like. I credit that policy with developing my brother & I into fairly adventurous eaters.

That said, I have to say that one of my dad's most favorite meals was/is calves liver, which remains to this day gag city for me. He adored it in the traditional fashion, with bacon & onions. Bacon & onions I like; liver? Nada. However, once - just ONCE - I do recall my mom making calves liver in a way that I found tolerable - if I remember correctly, she cut it into strips & sauteed it first, then folded it into a mushroom/cream/wine sauce. That I ate & "tolerated". But not enough to ever want to make it myself - lol!!!