"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One of my favorite memories is spending hours and hours outside after supper catching lightning bugs. As soon as the first one of the summer appeared in the evening sky, my brothers and sisters and I would head right for the trash can to dig for empty mayonnaise jars, any glass jars with screw-on lids. Once we'd found some, we'd wash them out and then poke holes in the lid with one of Daddy's hammers and some nails. Then it was out in the yard to chase and catch enough of the little sparkly bugs to fill our jars.

Of course, we added bits of grass for them to eat. Little did we know, that was unnecessary, but we were kids. I don't know how many nights I went to sleep with my nightlight of a jar of lightning bugs on my bedside table. I still marvel at lightning bugs to this day.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
Master Chef

I remember doing that too!!! And we caught honey bees in jars, and cicadia (sp?) as they were crawling out of the ground to hatch. If you were able to get gold or black ones, you were really hailed as king of the cicada catching bunch. We also use to chatch these cotton wood beatles... black and white dots, or white with black dots. Nasty looking critters. Anyhow, he would catch as many as we could and one by one, we would set them on the hot hood of a car and try to bat them out of the air as they flew off. We were such idiots!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

"Where were you?"
"Out."
"What did you do?"
"Nothing."

jeez, I've got tons of these memories. Did the lightning bugs and honeybees in the jar thing. We only had to come in when the streetlights came on.

Red Rover, Red Rover, let (insert name of weakest kid on the other team) come over.

I was a kid in the golden age of the late 50s/early 60s. Let me think on it and prepare a few more memories to share.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I had the luxury of growing up in a house in the woods. Every weekend, at least 2 of my cousins would spend the night with me & we'd end up exploring the woods all the next day. Not only that, our grandma lived on the other side of the woods & we'd "sneak" (mama always knew where we were when she didn't hear us anymore) to grandma's house for fresh hot cornbread & biscuits, then we'd go out to her barns to see if we could find any snake skins, check the chicken house for eggs, & help grandma pick out a couple of chickens for Sunday dinner. My cousins would hide when it was time for the chickens to meet their fate, but I always stayed around to help with the job. I miss those days of sunburn, brier scratches, & pine sap covered hands! My parents & grandma still live where they did then & I'm teaching my children the joys of those woods, the only thing they are missing out on are grandma's cooking & the chickens.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

We had to walk quite aways to our towns swimming pool. We would spend the whole afternoon there and before we headed home, we would stop at a snack wagon and get a bag of popcorn and an ice cream cone. We would dunk our cone in the bag of popcorn and eat it on the long walk home. Oh, that tasted so good.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #16
DC Grandma

OK you kids...do you remember roller skates that clamped on your shoes and used a skate key to make them larger or smaller?? Hide and seekHop scotchMother May I?

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ah, crewsk, you reminded me of one of my fuzziest childhood memories. As a child I lived in a very rural area. Most of my friends lived on farms so we didn't get to just run next door to play with each other. On many weekend nights I would be permitted so sleep over at my best friend's house. Suzanne's parents had a dairy farm, which meant they had lots of cattle and lots of kitty cats. I loved the cats and I was fascinated with the miking process and never missed an opportunity to be in the milk barn at milking time. The kitties didn't miss the chance either. They were nice fat kitties.

The best part of my overnight stays at Suzanne's house was that her mother always kept a big pitcher of fresh milk in the refrigerator. A glass of that and some of her mother's homemade chocolate chip cookies was sheer heaven. There's nothing like fresh milk...right from the source. Today's food police would frown on it, but there's nothing like it.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
OK you kids...do you remember roller skates that clamped on your shoes and used a skate key to make them larger or smaller?? Hide and seekHop scotchMother May I?
I still have my skate key.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Hide and Seek was one of my favorite games. We also came up with many variations for Tag.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:30 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L.
I still have my skate key.
Wow! You still have your skate key? I don't know how long, but after a very short while I lost mine, as did my two younger sisters. When that happened, we used plyers from my Daddy's tool supply. I can't even imagine how many pairs of plyers he had to replace because we lost/misplaced/got careless with the plyers we used to tighten our skates.

As long as we are on the subject of these kinds of roller skates, one of the challenges we had with ours was to try to clamp them onto our sneakers. Invariably the clamp part of the skate would slip above the rubber sole/ridge part of the sneaker and it would tighten into the canvas part and (ouch) hurt our tender young feet. However, that didn't stop us from trying to be Dorothy Hammill (sp?) on skates. Delightful memories. Yeah!