"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Childhood memories

We're going on a memory kick today. When I saw mudbug's thread, a certain memory popped into my head. It's a simple one. My sister and I were late for the bus one morning and I didn't have my shoes on and tied yet. She ran, pushing me up the driveway in the wheelbarrow. Please share! I'd love to hear your stories too.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Everymom

I'll stick with the sister theme.

Have you ever been preoccupied and tried to just pull off one of those shirts with a zipper at the back of the neck? I did once when I was about 10, and got stuck. I couldn't pull it up...or down. I was just about to freak right out and rip that shirt to shreds to get it off but my sister heard my shriek of frustration and came running to help me. Took her a little bit of maneuvering but she got it off me. Sisters, what would we do without them?

Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
We're going on a memory kick today. When I saw mudbug's thread, a certain memory popped into my head. It's a simple one. My sister and I were late for the bus one morning and I didn't have my shoes on and tied yet. She ran, pushing me up the driveway in the wheelbarrow. Please share! I'd love to hear your stories too.

I actually don't remember doing that, but there are a lot of things I don't remember. But I do have this one, I remember Corazon's interpretation of Madonna's "Papa don't preach" as "Tropical creep". It's ok, I thought when Micheal Jackson said "The kid is not my son." I thought he said "The CHAIR is not my son." Why? I don't know.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
Master Chef

I remember the dreaded bell bottom pants my mom would buy me (course they are in style now and I wear them all the time)... anyhow, as a kid, I hated them. When I would ride my bike, they would get stuck in my bicycle chain and get all tore up. Then mom would get all mad at me for mucking up my pants.... if she would just get me straight leg pants... then it would all be ok!!!!!

I loved being a kid... we had major block games... about 25 to 30 kids all playing kick the can, sardines, capture the flag... man, those were the days!!!! Please send me back now!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
Contest Winner

Cool

When I was 4 years old I heard my father ask my mother if she would get him another cup of coffee, I knew she wasn't feeling very well and my father didn't know that. So I went into the kitchen and poured both of them a cup. To make this story short, I walked in not spilling a drop on the floor but in the process I burned both of my hands. I stood there proud as you please knowing they both had their coffee.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I loved being a kid... we had major block games... about 25 to 30 kids all playing kick the can, sardines, capture the flag... man, those were the days!!!! Please send me back now!!!
Oh, I love kick the can!!! Sardines is fun too, and capture the flag. Man, if only we could get all us dcers together! It would be one great party. Lots of good food, games and fun!

And hey sister "Tropical Creep, I'm in trouble deep" That makes more sense to me than the original lyrics!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
Oh, I love kick the can!!! Sardines is fun too, and capture the flag. Man, if only we could get all us dcers together! It would be one great party. Lots of good food, games and fun!
Oh, that would be serious fun!!!! Those were the best times when the whole neighborhood would get together to play the games... then as it got later, one by one, each kid's parents could be heard in the distance, calling their name to let them know it was time to come in or time to eat. We would be soooooo bummmmmed!!!!

Capture the Flag was my fav... more of a team game that required a bit of skill!! But when you had 10 kids on each team, it was such a blast!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
Head Chef

Do kids still do that? I raised my kids in the country, so they never had that experience.

I have the sense that today's kids spend all their time connected to their computers, IPods and electronic games, and none at all playing with other kids.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
Head Chef

another game...Annie Annie over! Throwing a tennis ball over the house.

One of my favorite memories is: someone went to the hospital....(no....that's not the end of the story)..lol...

anway...they brought home a bunch of mayonnaise and sugar packets left from their meals.

My sister, cousin, and I took them out to the yard for a "tea" party.
We mixed the mayonnaise and sugar together and ate it. I ate so much that I threw up.

Another favorite: my sister came running into the dining room yelling there was a horse outside her window. We all knew she wanted a horse real bad and ignored her...but there really was! A neighbor's horse had gotten loose and come into our back yard putting his face up to her window!

My brother's favorite April Fools was to go to the bathroom and run back in telling my mom the "stool" was running over.

My little brother once cried over a mouse in the mouse trap...saying, you killed my "bestest" mouse.

Memories are so wonderful!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
I have the sense that today's kids spend all their time connected to their computers, IPods and electronic games, and none at all playing with other kids.
I know when I was a young en... I spent every minute of the day and what ever part of the night I could get away with OUTSIDE!!!! The thought of having to stay indoors was like being grounded.