Childhood memories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
We're going on a memory kick today. When I saw mudbug's thread, a certain memory popped into my head. It's a simple one. My sister and I were late for the bus one morning and I didn't have my shoes on and tied yet. She ran, pushing me up the driveway in the wheelbarrow. :LOL: Please share! I'd love to hear your stories too.

I'll stick with the sister theme.

Have you ever been preoccupied and tried to just pull off one of those shirts with a zipper at the back of the neck? I did once when I was about 10, and got stuck. I couldn't pull it up...or down. I was just about to freak right out and rip that shirt to shreds to get it off but my sister heard my shriek of frustration and came running to help me. Took her a little bit of maneuvering but she got it off me. Sisters, what would we do without them?

corazon90 said:
We're going on a memory kick today. When I saw mudbug's thread, a certain memory popped into my head. It's a simple one. My sister and I were late for the bus one morning and I didn't have my shoes on and tied yet. She ran, pushing me up the driveway in the wheelbarrow. :LOL: Please share! I'd love to hear your stories too.

I actually don't remember doing that, but there are a lot of things I don't remember. But I do have this one, I remember Corazon's interpretation of Madonna's "Papa don't preach" as "Tropical creep". It's ok, I thought when Micheal Jackson said "The kid is not my son." I thought he said "The CHAIR is not my son." Why? I don't know.

I remember the dreaded bell bottom pants my mom would buy me (course they are in style now and I wear them all the time)... anyhow, as a kid, I hated them. When I would ride my bike, they would get stuck in my bicycle chain and get all tore up. Then mom would get all mad at me for mucking up my pants.... if she would just get me straight leg pants... then it would all be ok!!!!!

I loved being a kid... we had major block games... about 25 to 30 kids all playing kick the can, sardines, capture the flag... man, those were the days!!!! Please send me back now!!!

When I was 4 years old I heard my father ask my mother if she would get him another cup of coffee, I knew she wasn't feeling very well and my father didn't know that. So I went into the kitchen and poured both of them a cup. To make this story short, I walked in not spilling a drop on the floor but in the process I burned both of my hands. I stood there proud as you please knowing they both had their coffee. :online2lo

sattie said:
I loved being a kid... we had major block games... about 25 to 30 kids all playing kick the can, sardines, capture the flag... man, those were the days!!!! Please send me back now!!!
Oh, I love kick the can!!! Sardines is fun too, and capture the flag. Man, if only we could get all us dcers together! It would be one great party. Lots of good food, games and fun!

And hey sister "Tropical Creep, I'm in trouble deep" That makes more sense to me than the original lyrics!

corazon90 said:
Oh, I love kick the can!!! Sardines is fun too, and capture the flag. Man, if only we could get all us dcers together! It would be one great party. Lots of good food, games and fun!

Oh, that would be serious fun!!!! Those were the best times when the whole neighborhood would get together to play the games... then as it got later, one by one, each kid's parents could be heard in the distance, calling their name to let them know it was time to come in or time to eat. We would be soooooo bummmmmed!!!!

Capture the Flag was my fav... more of a team game that required a bit of skill!! But when you had 10 kids on each team, it was such a blast!

Do kids still do that? I raised my kids in the country, so they never had that experience.

I have the sense that today's kids spend all their time connected to their computers, IPods and electronic games, and none at all playing with other kids.

another game...Annie Annie over! Throwing a tennis ball over the house.

One of my favorite memories is: someone went to the hospital....(no....that's not the end of the story)..lol...

anway...they brought home a bunch of mayonnaise and sugar packets left from their meals.

My sister, cousin, and I took them out to the yard for a "tea" party.
We mixed the mayonnaise and sugar together and ate it. I ate so much that I threw up.

Another favorite: my sister came running into the dining room yelling there was a horse outside her window. We all knew she wanted a horse real bad and ignored her...but there really was! A neighbor's horse had gotten loose and come into our back yard putting his face up to her window!

My brother's favorite April Fools was to go to the bathroom and run back in telling my mom the "stool" was running over.

My little brother once cried over a mouse in the mouse trap...saying, you killed my "bestest" mouse.

Memories are so wonderful!

sparrowgrass said:
I have the sense that today's kids spend all their time connected to their computers, IPods and electronic games, and none at all playing with other kids.

I know when I was a young en... I spent every minute of the day and what ever part of the night I could get away with OUTSIDE!!!! The thought of having to stay indoors was like being grounded.

One of my favorite memories is spending hours and hours outside after supper catching lightning bugs. As soon as the first one of the summer appeared in the evening sky, my brothers and sisters and I would head right for the trash can to dig for empty mayonnaise jars, any glass jars with screw-on lids. Once we'd found some, we'd wash them out and then poke holes in the lid with one of Daddy's hammers and some nails. Then it was out in the yard to chase and catch enough of the little sparkly bugs to fill our jars.

Of course, we added bits of grass for them to eat. Little did we know, that was unnecessary, but we were kids. I don't know how many nights I went to sleep with my nightlight of a jar of lightning bugs on my bedside table. I still marvel at lightning bugs to this day.

I remember doing that too!!! And we caught honey bees in jars, and cicadia (sp?) as they were crawling out of the ground to hatch. If you were able to get gold or black ones, you were really hailed as king of the cicada catching bunch. We also use to chatch these cotton wood beatles... black and white dots, or white with black dots. Nasty looking critters. Anyhow, he would catch as many as we could and one by one, we would set them on the hot hood of a car and try to bat them out of the air as they flew off. We were such idiots!!!

"Where were you?"
"Out."
"What did you do?"
"Nothing."

jeez, I've got tons of these memories. Did the lightning bugs and honeybees in the jar thing. We only had to come in when the streetlights came on.

Red Rover, Red Rover, let (insert name of weakest kid on the other team) come over.

I was a kid in the golden age of the late 50s/early 60s. Let me think on it and prepare a few more memories to share.

I had the luxury of growing up in a house in the woods. Every weekend, at least 2 of my cousins would spend the night with me & we'd end up exploring the woods all the next day. Not only that, our grandma lived on the other side of the woods & we'd "sneak" (mama always knew where we were when she didn't hear us anymore) to grandma's house for fresh hot cornbread & biscuits, then we'd go out to her barns to see if we could find any snake skins, check the chicken house for eggs, & help grandma pick out a couple of chickens for Sunday dinner. My cousins would hide when it was time for the chickens to meet their fate, but I always stayed around to help with the job. I miss those days of sunburn, brier scratches, & pine sap covered hands! My parents & grandma still live where they did then & I'm teaching my children the joys of those woods, the only thing they are missing out on are grandma's cooking & the chickens.

We had to walk quite aways to our towns swimming pool. We would spend the whole afternoon there and before we headed home, we would stop at a snack wagon and get a bag of popcorn and an ice cream cone. We would dunk our cone in the bag of popcorn and eat it on the long walk home. Oh, that tasted so good. :rolleyes:

OK you kids...do you remember roller skates that clamped on your shoes and used a skate key to make them larger or smaller?? Hide and seekHop scotchMother May I?

Ah, crewsk, you reminded me of one of my fuzziest childhood memories. As a child I lived in a very rural area. Most of my friends lived on farms so we didn't get to just run next door to play with each other. On many weekend nights I would be permitted so sleep over at my best friend's house. Suzanne's parents had a dairy farm, which meant they had lots of cattle and lots of kitty cats. I loved the cats and I was fascinated with the miking process and never missed an opportunity to be in the milk barn at milking time. The kitties didn't miss the chance either. They were nice fat kitties.

The best part of my overnight stays at Suzanne's house was that her mother always kept a big pitcher of fresh milk in the refrigerator. A glass of that and some of her mother's homemade chocolate chip cookies was sheer heaven. There's nothing like fresh milk...right from the source. Today's food police would frown on it, but there's nothing like it.

Dove said:
OK you kids...do you remember roller skates that clamped on your shoes and used a skate key to make them larger or smaller?? Hide and seekHop scotchMother May I?

I still have my skate key.:rolleyes:

JoAnn L. said:
I still have my skate key.:rolleyes:

Wow! You still have your skate key? I don't know how long, but after a very short while I lost mine, as did my two younger sisters. When that happened, we used plyers from my Daddy's tool supply. I can't even imagine how many pairs of plyers he had to replace because we lost/misplaced/got careless with the plyers we used to tighten our skates.

As long as we are on the subject of these kinds of roller skates, one of the challenges we had with ours was to try to clamp them onto our sneakers. Invariably the clamp part of the skate would slip above the rubber sole/ridge part of the sneaker and it would tighten into the canvas part and (ouch) hurt our tender young feet. However, that didn't stop us from trying to be Dorothy Hammill (sp?) on skates. Delightful memories. Yeah!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom