"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #11
Head Chef

I saw the one with the guy that used the spoon and then put it back in the food......YUCK. I missed the one where the guy dropped the meat.

I did a little searching around.
Casting
Quote:

Food Network is currently casting for a new cooking competition series and is looking for professional chefs, who want to test their culinary skills against those of their peers. Four competitors will race against the clock; their food judged on taste, creativity, and presentation by the experts. Three are eliminated along the way, and only one remains the ultimate winner.</div>
<div align="left">Anyone interested?

Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
Senior Cook

i like the show, and have watched it a bunch of times.....i like the idea of the secret ingredients, and i like to see what the chefs come up with

BUT, i dont really like ted allen in it...i like him in other shoes ive seen him appear on (iron chef america, sometimes on top chef), but i cant deal with him on Chopped....i cant really describe it, but he always seems to be trying to create this fake drama that doesnt really work for me....it all just comes off as forced and annoying to me (same as on his show where they test food myths)....i guess i just dont think he is a good host - very unnatural ......anyone else feel like that?

im also not a fan of the woman taster (dont know her name)....always has that sneer on her face....

Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Head Chef

I find the show pretty much entertaining, it's great to watch chefs cook on the fly so to speak. Creativity at it's finest, (or not).LOL!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
i like the show, and have watched it a bunch of times.....i like the idea of the secret ingredients, and i like to see what the chefs come up with

BUT, i dont really like ted allen in it...i like him in other shoes ive seen him appear on (iron chef america, sometimes on top chef), but i cant deal with him on Chopped....i cant really describe it, but he always seems to be trying to create this fake drama that doesnt really work for me....it all just comes off as forced and annoying to me (same as on his show where they test food myths)....i guess i just dont think he is a good host - very unnatural ......anyone else feel like that?

im also not a fan of the woman taster (dont know her name)....always has that sneer on her face....
i agree with you totally, don't care for the show at all. did u get a look at the dreary set including the kitchen part. all greys and blacks. what is up with that.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i agree with you totally, don't care for the show at all. did u get a look at the dreary set including the kitchen part. all greys and blacks. what is up with that.
i actually dont even mind the set that much....maybe a bit dark for a home kitchen (or possible not), but im ok with it

it's really just the hosting and that one judge that gets to me...and, like i said, i like ted allen when he is being himself, just not as a host

when i watch, i quickly try to come up with my own menu before the chefs announce what they are doing....for someone with absolutely no formal training, my ideas are sometimes pretty similar....but there are other times when i have NO idea what i would do
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
You must mean Alexandra Guarnaschelli. She has (had?) her own show on Food TV. But I like her... None of the judges are friendly - but she has perfected the sneering dismissiveness of the efforts of the contestants - It make makes me cringe... and laugh. She looks kinda sweet, here.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Alex has to try hard not to be "sweet" on these shows!

I guess I 'm in the minority here. I really want to like the show, and I love the premise, BUT... some of the ingredients they put in the basket are downright snarky. I think they should be able to come up with weird combinations without using boxed mac and cheese, etc. I like the judges better than the contestants in every episode I have watched. and yes, the set is super unattractive.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #18
Senior Cook

the way she is holding the knife in that picture makes it look life she has NO idea what she is going
Old 03-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Alex has to try hard not to be "sweet" on these shows!...
Do you mean she seems to be over-acting the mean thing? I agree with that! Isn't this show supposed to be funny?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
Do you mean she seems to be over-acting the mean thing? I agree with that! Isn't this show supposed to be funny?
I've never thought it was supposed to be "funny". Off beat maybe but not funny. Fun maybe but not funny. It's a cooking challenge that pays $10,000 to the winner. That's pretty serious stuff.