Chopped!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Have you seen the program 'Chopped', where 4 contestants try not to get chopped from a competition making appetizers then main dish to dessert? Whoever is left gets $10,000?
They are giving baskets in each round and they HAVE to use all the ingredients in that round, no matter how obtuse the items are.
In the last round, a guy puts together a cake, the girl puts together what looks like dessert appetizers. The guy doesn't realize he makes it with salt instead of sugar! OUCH! A salty dessert. Like I said, OUCH!
That show was rather funny. ~Bliss

Larry, did you see the guy on that one episode that forgot to use bananas in his dish? He just decided, hey, I don't need to incorporate this ingredient from his basket? He was disqualified. He was good, but, he didn't follow the rules. ~Bliss

I love that show! The first time I saw it, I turned it on late and only saw the last round. The next time I saw two rounds, and last time I saw the whole show. Did you see the one where the young guy (a personal chef) kept tasting off the spoon, then putting it back into the food? They said something to him about it, but he continued to do it. Yuck! Plus he accused one of the other chefs of stealing his mushrooms. He asked if he could have some of hers (I think he asked for 3), and when she said yes, he took quite a few. Fortunately, for her, she was done with them. He didn't even thank her until the judges asked if he had. Then he gave a quick and insincere sounding, "Thanks."

:)Barbara

Last edited:
Yeah, the banana episode was the first one i saw . I dont know what he was thinking, not using the required ingredient. The Israeli girl seemed to have her crap together. But I felt bad for that guy who put salt instead of sugar in his desert. He seemed pretty good too.

I like it too.
It would be neat to see Chopped or a similar show, with everyday cooks competing
instead of professionals.

Would you apply to be a contestant?

I am sure I would love the show but as far as I know we don't get it here in Canada. Is it on the Food Network? If so we will get it in a year or so.

I love the one tonight, the guy drops a pice of meat on the floo, picks it up and continues on. Then the jusdes eat his creation and ask why he did that..I think they were all sitting on their brains tonight:ROFLMAO:
kadesma

Tonight's episode wasn't as intense as the past few. I love this show, right at 10 I pushed my suite mates out of my room just so I could watch without distraction. I wish I could be one of the judges, it would be awesome! But it was really gross when the meat fell on the floor and the guy didn't even wash it off... blehhh

I saw the one with the guy that used the spoon and then put it back in the food......YUCK. I missed the one where the guy dropped the meat.

I did a little searching around.
Casting
Food Network is currently casting for a new cooking competition series and is looking for professional chefs, who want to test their culinary skills against those of their peers. Four competitors will race against the clock; their food judged on taste, creativity, and presentation by the experts. Three are eliminated along the way, and only one remains the ultimate winner.</div>​
<div align="left">Anyone interested?

i like the show, and have watched it a bunch of times.....i like the idea of the secret ingredients, and i like to see what the chefs come up with

BUT, i dont really like ted allen in it...i like him in other shoes ive seen him appear on (iron chef america, sometimes on top chef), but i cant deal with him on Chopped....i cant really describe it, but he always seems to be trying to create this fake drama that doesnt really work for me....it all just comes off as forced and annoying to me (same as on his show where they test food myths)....i guess i just dont think he is a good host - very unnatural ......anyone else feel like that?

im also not a fan of the woman taster (dont know her name)....always has that sneer on her face....

I find the show pretty much entertaining, it's great to watch chefs cook on the fly so to speak. Creativity at it's finest, (or not).LOL!

i like the show, and have watched it a bunch of times.....i like the idea of the secret ingredients, and i like to see what the chefs come up with

BUT, i dont really like ted allen in it...i like him in other shoes ive seen him appear on (iron chef america, sometimes on top chef), but i cant deal with him on Chopped....i cant really describe it, but he always seems to be trying to create this fake drama that doesnt really work for me....it all just comes off as forced and annoying to me (same as on his show where they test food myths)....i guess i just dont think he is a good host - very unnatural ......anyone else feel like that?

im also not a fan of the woman taster (dont know her name)....always has that sneer on her face....

i agree with you totally, don't care for the show at all. did u get a look at the dreary set including the kitchen part. all greys and blacks. what is up with that. :rolleyes:

i agree with you totally, don't care for the show at all. did u get a look at the dreary set including the kitchen part. all greys and blacks. what is up with that. :rolleyes:

i actually dont even mind the set that much....maybe a bit dark for a home kitchen (or possible not), but im ok with it

it's really just the hosting and that one judge that gets to me...and, like i said, i like ted allen when he is being himself, just not as a host

when i watch, i quickly try to come up with my own menu before the chefs announce what they are doing....for someone with absolutely no formal training, my ideas are sometimes pretty similar....but there are other times when i have NO idea what i would do

You must mean Alexandra Guarnaschelli. She has (had?) her own show on Food TV. But I like her... None of the judges are friendly - but she has perfected the sneering dismissiveness of the efforts of the contestants - It make makes me cringe... and laugh. She looks kinda sweet, here. :LOL:
bio-alexandra-guarnaschelli_al.jpg

Alex has to try hard not to be "sweet" on these shows!

I guess I 'm in the minority here. I really want to like the show, and I love the premise, BUT... some of the ingredients they put in the basket are downright snarky. I think they should be able to come up with weird combinations without using boxed mac and cheese, etc. I like the judges better than the contestants in every episode I have watched. and yes, the set is super unattractive.

Do you mean she seems to be over-acting the mean thing? I agree with that! Isn't this show supposed to be funny? :LOL:
I've never thought it was supposed to be "funny". Off beat maybe but not funny. Fun maybe but not funny. It's a cooking challenge that pays $10,000 to the winner. That's pretty serious stuff.

Back
Top Bottom