Christmas Cards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Do any of you still do Christmas cards? So many of my friends don't any more, but I have about 8 so I guess some people still do. I definitely do; maybe a military thing. A connection to people you might not connect with otherwise. I just finished, I think; I sent 4 to Afghanistan, the rest are spread across the U.S. I try to get it done early. I love receiving them; yes, I do get email "cards", but it just isn't the same as getting a pretty card in the mail.

Only to those people who reciprocate. Thanks for the reminder, must send one to the dentist office, they are nice people and they sent us one.

Not any more. I write emails to my closest friends and family. Hubble sent me their newsletter with their Christmas card collection with free downloads. I'll be sending my favorite this year after I come up with a Christmas message.

Like others, I'm pretty much stopped sending them. For me, it was a choice of how to spend free time. :ermm:

A happy memory involving Christmas cards: My grandmother used to save the tops of the cards, when there was no writing. Then, during the Christmas party season the next year, she would use them to copy recipes when exchanging recipes. After she was gone, it made me smile for a family member or friend to open their recipe box and pull out a pretty Christmas card top with her handwriting.

~Kathleen

what a sweet idea. she sounds like a lovely women. i don't send cards anymore. most of my friends and relatives have died. or i haven't seen them in forty years. most relatives are in the south. they don't send to me either, they probably think i am dead, as well.

I send out about 80, and enclose pictures of my grandkids with over half of them. I do have a large extended family - I have 40 first-cousins and many of them have grandchildren and even a great-grandchild or two. I love listening to Christmas music or having a Christmas movie going. I do use printed labels but I sign each one. I love Christmas and all the traditions that go with it and the cards are the "beginning" of the season for me.

i give them 2 those i luv; people adore getting mail that is kind

Last edited:
Yeah, part of it is that I think I have something like 30 living first cousins. All but me had kids, so I have cousins I've never met. No, I don't send cards to many of them. But mostly it is people we were assigned with over the years, and I really enjoy getting a card and letter; yes, even a form letter, knowing what someone my Dad knew in Virginia, I knew in Hawaii, for example, is doing in Nebraska. To get this, ya gotta give. A few family and old friends are elderly, at least one non compos mentis, and getting a card makes their day, so I make sure they get the most colorful (or in cases where I know the person was religious ... ) ones I can find. One high school friend emailed me that her mom was thrilled with a 3-D creche card I sent her. This makes the entire process worthwhile. I just wish I had figured out how to make labels on the computer. Most people I either phone or email regularly, but there are a few holdouts, and most are old family friends, so I do write a short newsletter to those.

I quit shortly after my mother died. I was sending out close to 80 cards and even some of my first cousins couldn't be bothered to send a Christmas card or acknowledge my mother's (their aunt's) passing. That kind of soured me on sending cards. The last year I sent them, I got about 15 cards back with wrong addresses. I gave up at that point. Now with facebook and email, I can send greetings and keep up with friends all year long.

Yes, sure do. Just to immediate family and friends. I think a nice card with a hand written note is a great keepsake. I use the ones I get as decorations. I hang them off if red ribbon draped over the hall door. Then I same them for the next year and we hang them off other doors in the house.

I love the idea of recipes on the back of the card face!

I'm a heathen. I don't really think there is a tradition for sending out solstice cards ;)
This heathen does Tax, I also quite like the people who send me Christmas Cards that the proceeds go to charity padeswood 083.jpg

VERY good, Bolas. Just happened to have one handy? I'm impressed.:LOL:

The cards I am sending out this year are from the World Wildlife Fund and the Humane Society. I have two Arbor Day cards that are inscribed as "a donation tree has been planted in "blank" name.

So far, I've gotten greetings from my dentist and my Step-Daughter.

The cards I am sending out this year are from the World Wildlife Fund and the Humane Society. I have two Arbor Day cards that are inscribed as "a donation tree has been planted in "blank" name.

So far, I've gotten greetings from my dentist and my Step-Daughter.

I've done the WWF before. They have beautiful pictures. Mom and I sent ones with the mother polar bear and her cub to represent us one year.

Back
Top Bottom