Christmas crafts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
....I don't do much baking, and get more holiday baked goods from family and neighbors than I can consume, so I usually try to reciprocate in other ways.

My sweet next door neighbor brought me this adorable little reindeer yesterday - she and her little boys have been making these to give to friends and family. :wub:

I love this idea and will be getting the inexpensive supplies from my local Joann's to make a bunch, and they're easy enough for the grandkids to make. Or even just me. :LOL: Just thought I'd share this cuteness!

Does anyone else have any Christmas crafts ideas to share?

cute christmas reindeer.jpg

Last edited:
Still my favorite....My late DH and I made these for Christmas gifts in 1992....sleds made out of popsicle sticks

and I'm hoping Katie H adds her adorable mice!

Attachments

• DSCN3237.jpg
    DSCN3237.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 137
Thanks all!

I especially love the little sleds made from popsicle sticks - even my youngest grand would be able to make those. Thanks again so much for sharing ideas, everyone! Hope to see more. :wub:

One year for the office, I made eight candy cane reindeer. I also made a ninth one with a bright red nose. I also bought a large piece of foam and a small sleigh and Santa meant to hang on the tree. I placed all of the items on the piece of foam. Santa, his sleigh, and the reindeer including Rudolph. It sat in the middle of the conference room table long after I had left the company.

I made the antlers with brown pipe cleaners, and also put tiny bows of each reindeer. I wish I had a picture of them to show. Every year that I made them, they were a big hit. The first year I was here, I made them to hang on the tree. They were eventually taken one by one, by the grandchildren of the residents. Those kids are all grown up now. I am thinking of doing it again this year. We have a lot of new residents this year with small grandchildren.

Our nieces made the cutest clothespin ornaments for us one year. I think they were reindeer, but I'm not sure. I'll fish around in the ornament boxes sometime in the next couple of days to get at least one out and photographed.

Some ornaments I've made. The angel is made with a clam shell. There are others but I don't have pictures of them.

ornaments_1_P1020828.JPG

xmas_wreath_ornament_P1020836.jpg

bear_ornament_P1020824.jpg

Very cute, MsM. CG, I think I've seen some wooden clothespin reindeer ornaments somewhere online. GG, I love the pomander balls. All are adorable!

I was browsing around online yesterday and saw a great idea - dried pasta snowflakes ornaments. This is just one pic of so many that came up - mostly on Pinterest. So cute! :)

Attachments

• pasta snowflakes.jpg
    pasta snowflakes.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 110
Did it say how they got the pasta shapes white? That looks like a fun project.

I have always loved doing hand crafts. I made a small dolls quit one year for my granddaughter's dolly bed. She still has it.

I need to find some time to go to Pinterest and take a look around. Management in this building goes all out for decorating for any holiday. And the residents are encouraged to add to the decoration if they would like to.

Addie, they are spray painted white. I should have mentioned that. :)

Have fun enjoying your community room's holiday décor, and an early Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Addie, they are spray painted white. I should have mentioned that. :)

Have fun enjoying your community room's holiday décor, and an early Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thank you Cheryl. Every so often the bugaboo of self pity enters my world and head. I hope it doesn't ruin the holidays for me this year. Right now I can keep it at bay. I so do want to participate in the holiday spirit.

Next month I am going to have to take The Ride over to Somerville at A.C. Moore craft store to pick up some supplies. Or try to talk my daughter into taking me with the wheelchair in the back seat. It will cost me four dollars for The Ride. Nothing for my daughter.

Last edited:
Seeing those little sleds from popsicle sticks, jogged a memory for me.

When I was a teenager and attended church regularly, the teacher for the six and seven year old kids didn't show up. So the Pastor asked me if I would mind taking her class. "Sure, but I am not going to be teaching them anything about the Bible." That was fine with him.

I knew the big cabinet downstairs held all kinds of craft items. So I went and dug out the bag of small popsicle sticks, some Elmer's glue and paint. I remembered having made those sleds in grade school. I also found a large ball of gold string.

By the time services were over, when the parents came down to collect their kids, the kids wanted to stay and finish their project. So I told the parents to come back in a half hour and they would all be done. They weren't to happy about that, but then they were in God's house and it wouldn't have been proper to display a bad attitude.

I had a ball working with those kids. They were the perfect age to teach. Their little minds know how to wander at that age and they can think of so many ways to decorate those sleds. They all got a piece of gold string for them to bring home and hang on the tree. I put the name and date on the back of each one. I am sure some of the grown up kids still have those sleds.

I would love to be able to do something like that again. But alas, it is not to be.

Last edited:
...I put the name and date on the back of each one. I am sure some of the grown up kids still have those sleds...
If not the kids, their parents have them! I was just mentioning to Himself that when I decorate our little tree this year, I'll be saving some ornaments to keep and sending some to Salvation Army. Time to thin things out around here. We are definitely keeping all the silly but sweet ornaments our kids made while in school and Scouts.

If not the kids, their parents have them! I was just mentioning to Himself that when I decorate our little tree this year, I'll be saving some ornaments to keep and sending some to Salvation Army. Time to thin things out around here. We are definitely keeping all the silly but sweet ornaments our kids made while in school and Scouts.

You definitely will want to keep them.

Before my health started to run down a bit, every year I would put the tree up and all the lights Thanksgiving night. The next day all the grandchildren would come over and decorate the tree. All my decorations were made of wood, so no one would break a glass one and then get cut. You could always tell the age of the kids by where they would hang something on the tree. That poor tree some years looked so bad. But I would never move any of the ornaments. It was "their" tree and I loved it no matter what it looked like.

I so miss having the small children around me at holiday time. All the grandkids are scattered all over the state now. Not a one lives in Eastie. One even lives in Vermont. And two live in Maine.

Last edited:
I don't have any pictures of my little mice. If you take pictures of yours and tell everyone I made them, that should suffice.

Our house has been on the market to sell since July. Upon the advice of our realtor, we put a lot of stuff in a now packed full 10'x20' storage unit. All my Christmas stuff is there and not likely to re-emerge until we move!

Back
Top Bottom