"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Master Chef

Christmas Gifts

Am I the only one who has actually done something about gift giving getting way, way out of hand? Now, granted, I do not have children, and of course, hence, grands.

For a few years I just threw my hands up and said, no one is getting presents, but we'll buy a hayride. Daddy and sis with musical instruments, a pinata, some KFC and some hootch on a picnic.

Organizing that became impossible. Now I just buy a huge box of food delecasies and pay Mr. UPS to deal with shipping.

My husband and I just quit. We now just plan something for a future day and call that "Christmas."

Anyone else just get fed up? And how did you deal with it?

I swear, buying presents was sucking any and all joy of the season out of me 15 years ago.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Several years ago, Shrek and I decided on giving Birthday presents only...they are more spread out and easier to afford that way. My parents, my sibs, nieces and nephews all get Birthday gifts. Shrek's brothers, nieces and nephews. My step-kids and my Grandkids. That's 25 gifts throughout the year.

Shrek and I buy for each other out of our account. Pretty much whenever we want something. We were fortunate this year, in getting an inheiritance...it allowed us to splurge on ourselves.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

Anyone else just get fed up? And how did you deal with it?

I swear, buying presents was sucking any and all joy of the season out of me 15 years ago.
We did.. Moving solved that problem about 15 years ago..
What ever happened to sending Aunt so and so a thank you card?

Munky.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I made an agreement with family members I used to exchange gifts with. Adults don't exchange gifts. My sister and I used to agonize over what to get each other, often asking for hints. We saw the futility of all that and agreed to limit Christmas gifts to her and my young grandchildren.

We have a similar agreement with my children (they are adult). We exchange stocking stuffers with a dollar limit and the little guy (4 YO) gets all the big time goodies. Our kids don't need the expense of buying us gifts and we really don't need anything.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
We did.. Moving solved that problem about 15 years ago..
What ever happened to sending Aunt so and so a thank you card?

Munky.
Or at least a phone call to let you know they got the gift...my siblings are the worst.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
Head Chef

Thank you cards? My dd is the only child I know, heck the only person I know who has been taught to send thank you cards. We have been trying to get hubby's kids (all adults) to do a drawing so we just buy one lovely gift for whichever person whose name we recieve. But the kids won't go for it. So this year we just said that we will buy for all of the grandkids 18 and under. But everyone else got a batch of their favorite cookies. It meant a lot of baking but I love to cook/bake so that was not a problem especially since there were only about 6 types of favorite cookies in the whole crowd. And I think a miracle happened because for once some of the kids followed our lead and made gifts for the adults. That is as it should be in my opinion. Christmas shouldn't be expensive. It should be about thinking about others and what might please them, not about spending a lot to get them something that we can't afford. Stepping off my soap box now.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
Master Chef

I have to say that, seldom that I do it, my sisters have their kids trained to send real thank-you notes. The only time I send gifts are real accomplishment times -- nieces and nephews who graduate HS or college, and when they marry or have a kid. Remembering a dozen birthdays and such was making me crazy, but if you send me an announcement of an event, I'll send something (my favorite is a US Savings bond; to me it says, "I believe in you and your future", whereas a check for the same amount says, "gee, what toy can I buy with that!") So when I do buy a gift, I do get a nice thank you card.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

this has become a dicey subject in my family.

there's my parents, of course, and 6 kids. which means 6 bro and sis in laws, and thereby 17 grandkids.

a few years ago, my bro's (the eldest) wife, the hardass pennsylvania german/dutch member decided that no one should exchange gifts anymore, so in order to keep the delicate china veneer on the family's face, most of the rest of us went underground and exchanged small gifts. but not everyone. no one was sure what to do.
well, mrs. pennsylvania nazi, aka the sil, wasn't happy that some of us formed a resistance movement, especially with me as the very vocal leader that she was acting out of place.

this went on for a few years, and it became increasingly awkward as each year passed. who bought for whom, who was in, who was a nazi.

so, with the family splintering, she relented and decided that homemade gifts were ok, and made this little christmas lights in an old wine bottle crafty thing for everyone. well, everyone but me.

it's a shame.

i could have re-gifted it...
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
this has become a dicey subject in my family.

there's my parents, of course, and 6 kids. which means 6 bro and sis in laws, and thereby 17 grandkids.

a few years ago, my bro's (the eldest) wife, the hardass pennsylvania german/dutch member decided that no one should exchange gifts anymore, so in order to keep the delicate china veneer on the family's face, most of the rest of us went underground and exchanged small gifts. but not everyone. no one was sure what to do.
well, mrs. pennsylvania nazi, aka the sil, wasn't happy that some of us formed a resistance movement, especially with me as the very vocal leader that she was acting out of place.

this went on for a few years, and it became increasingly awkward as each year passed. who bought for whom, who was in, who was a nazi.

so, with the family splintering, she relented and decided that homemade gifts were ok, and made this little christmas lights in an old wine bottle crafty thing for everyone. well, everyone but me.

it's a shame.

i could have re-gifted it...
Froehliche Weinachten.
Proud needy people are more likely to willingly accept gifts, such as luxuries they can't afford, during holidays like Christmas.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Executive Chef

We only give to our children (2) and their children (5) so it isn't a problem. Dh and I don't always exchange gifts.This year I asked him what he wanted and he said money. He asked me the same question and I said money, so we decided we would buy ourselves something we wanted after the holidays. I do give to my mother, but usually before or after Christmas.

I got a very nice and totally unexpected gift from our daughter this year - a mahogany tea chest with several different kinds of tea. That was NICE!