Christmas Gifts - yes or no.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good one Smoke King! :LOL:

I know this thread is about giving gifts or not, but I really enjoy gifts that someone baked or made. For most of us we can buy or already have everything we really need but something homemade is very special.

We do buy for the kids in the family and token gifts for adults. I don't expect that will change. In the grand scheme of things, since we don't go overboard, it won't change my $$$ situation.

No presents to my family from me. I simply don't like them well enough to give them anything and my teen is too greedy right now to deserve anything other than a lump of coal.

Not sure what an unnecessary gift is.

Within the family, we gift our children and grandchildren. We had agreed years ago with our siblings that we would no longer exchange gifts. Beyond that, little kids in the family get gifts.

I choose to give a gift to the woman who has been cutting my hair for the past 10 years. That's important to me as a way to say thank you for continued great service and to say our relationship is important to me.

While I don't go into debt for gifts, I don't think it's evil to do so. It's just a matter of how you choose to use your resources.

If your debt is out of control and causing you serious financial problems, you shouldn't be going further into debt for anything, not just gifts.

Well, it looks like this is one place that I won't get in trouble for my "Christmas Spirit". The wife unit is way bigger on Christmas gifts than I am. I would rathe come acoss something at any time of the year and give it to someone and say "I am thinking of you right now! Not just at the time of year that I am supposed to."

I agree that greed is out of control. My grandson (17 years old) e-Mails his Christmas list with links to where to buy exactly what he wants. He has done this for years.

I suspect hat unless something major happens with the economy, this will be a bleak Christmas in many homes.

AC

Well, it looks like this is one place that I won't get in trouble for my "Christmas Spirit". The wife unit is way bigger on Christmas gifts than I am. I would rathe come acoss something at any time of the year and give it to someone and say "I am thinking of you right now! Not just at the time of year that I am supposed to."

I agree that greed is out of control. My grandson (17 years old) e-Mails his Christmas list with links to where to buy exactly what he wants. He has done this for years.

I suspect hat unless something major happens with the economy, this will be a bleak Christmas in many homes.

AC

You think like my husband. He feels that if he sees something that he wants to buy/give someone, then he doesn't need a holiday to do it or wait to do it. Needless to say I have had many a Valentine's Day etc. without anything! But he does live up to what he says and gives throughout the year to or for whoever.

Buck and I haven't had Christmas debt for over 20 years, but still gave gifts to all the children, their spouses and all the grandchildren, as well as numerous friends and service people.

Many/most of the gifts are purchased during the year on sale, at thrift stores, etc., and made by Buck or me.

The same will be true for this Christmas.

I just got of the phone with one of our sons who, sadly, has filed for bankruptcy and is scurrying to make ends meet. He's the stay-at-home person in the family, so he's in charge of making the meals. He's having a great time making bread, even without pans. He molds pans out of foil over bowls, etc.

I have an extra bread machine and several extra bread pans. Guess where they will be on December 25th? I'm going to include all my favorite bread recipes and some other bread-making goodies.

Two of the other boys are going to get "mini" albums of pictures of their father during their lives together, along with a framed copy of a letter from the Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus to their grandfather (Buck's dad). His dad ran away to join the circus when he was a boy.

Christmas in our house has always been made up of gifts tailor-made to each recipient and carefully purchased or handmade.

We save as much as we can to get the kids toys and stuff. No more credit ever ever ever again! I love having kids to watch on Christmas morning.
Otherwise, I spend all year making things. I cross-stitch, knit and crochet for everyone..... and bake of course.
Last year was truffles and a few other treats, and I crocheted snowflake ornaments for everyone. Hopefully I can finish the cross-stitch for my MIL I've been working on for 5 years. :(

I'm planning to take a vacation day from work and bake bake bake little loaves of bread for people at work and for my friends. DH and I haven't talked about the families yet, but almost all of them live out of state, so homemade stuff wouldn't work very well. We usually give the adults some sort of gift of food, since everyone has pretty much all they need. For the kids, I ask the parents what they need and get that; I figure they'll be getting more than enough toys from everyone else ;)

:) DH and I for the most part do not exchange gifts at Xmas or give gifts on our birthdays etc. We figure we have all we need and usually get what we what when we want it during the year. We will send his son money and granddaughter he is raising alone a big gift.
I think if ones budget is tight than perhaps save ahead and spend what you can on a big blow out Xmas dinner that you cook yourself whether its lobster or prime rib etc and the things everyone likes and then maybe a small gift exchange.

:) I read some where that Walmart and I think it was Toys R Us are cutting prices to some of the more popular toys to $10.00. For those with kids it might be worth checking out.

This year, and I'm not ashamed to say it, money and gifts will be sent to people I know in Ukraine, for the orphans. That's it. I hope to impress on the two grandchildren, ages 8 & 10, that it's no longer about them. I will ask them to participate, even if it's a dollar and I know they each have a dollar or two.

Merry Christmas y'all - oh, otherwise, I will be making as many cookies as I can. Anyone have any suggestions? For real.

every year i try to give less and less gifts. no matter what the economy is.

As long as I only have to get a hand full gifts for the close people im good.

our freinds sometimes do a secret santa thing but last year we all gave to a freinds charity (First Candle, Stillbirths and what not research)

it worked out well.

About 8 years ago myself and DH and our families decided to stop giving gifts as we never knew what to get each other and we all hated Christmas shopping (we live in a tourist destination so during the festive season it's a battle to find a parking space in any shopping center) so we though "why are we doing this to ourselves?". It took a lot of stress out of the holiday season :) Have to add that there's no small kids in the family though so that made it easy.

We are taking a new approach ... If we [read: I :)] can't sew it, weave it or throw it on a wheel, it's not on the gift list. Our decision is part to save money but also partly because we want to get back to giving people something thoughful and truly from us.

This is such a thoughtful and inspirational discussion. Thanks for starting it, DQ. Makes me realize what I already knew - DCer's are a smart, compassionate and sensible group of people!

The first Christmas after Mom died we all went overboard on gifts. It was like we were trying to make up for her not being there. Now we keep it a bit simpler. However, for some in the family (SIL), homemade doesn't cut it.

We mainly only give to family - parents, brothers, sisters (and their other halves) and their kids. Debbie also gives to other members of her family - but this is all small stuff -nice soaps or jams or something like that. We do not spend a fortune - even my boys will not get more than £50 each and probably not even that. I hate seeing it when parents are going into debt and spending hundreds of pounds on presents that are not particularly appreciated.

One year my sister "gave" us donations to charity - we got a card saying what we had given - the boys had each sponsored wild animals in Africa (an elephant & a lion) and we had paid for seeds for an African family to grow crops. I thought that was a great idea.

We save as much as we can to get the kids toys and stuff. No more credit ever ever ever again! I love having kids to watch on Christmas morning.
Otherwise, I spend all year making things. I cross-stitch, knit and crochet for everyone..... and bake of course.
Last year was truffles and a few other treats, and I crocheted snowflake ornaments for everyone. Hopefully I can finish the cross-stitch for my MIL I've been working on for 5 years. :(

There is nothing you could buy me that I would love more than truffles. Smart girl.

Stand in line, I am passing out Hugs to anyone who cares for one.........:cool:

And to all the others, your getting one too so you might as well get in Line:huh::-p:-p:-p:-p;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom